Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever  (Read 96990 times)

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2012, 12:13:13 am »

If this game had graphics like we see in average games, the game wouldn't be as popular I think. A goblin with its eyes removed, guts on the floor, bleeding as it crawls away from dwarves covered in goblin, troll, dwarf, and crundle blood would be a lot less funny than it is right now. Not to mention all the time it would take to properly animate all the things that are happening, and how few people might actually be able to play the game

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2012, 12:25:56 am »

If this game had graphics like we see in average games, the game wouldn't be as popular I think. A goblin with its eyes removed, guts on the floor, bleeding as it crawls away from dwarves covered in goblin, troll, dwarf, and crundle blood would be a lot less funny than it is right now. Not to mention all the time it would take to properly animate all the things that are happening, and how few people might actually be able to play the game
Plus something like this  in actual graphics would pull in the media, then the stick up their butt "Soooooo EEeeeevvvviiiillll RUINING THE MINDS OF THE YOUTH" crowd, then next thing you know, Jack Thompson and Glen Beck will be crawling out of the woodwork...
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2012, 02:47:08 am »

What is an untainted fortress like, free of the blight the community encourages?

Hmm... I remember my Forts before I joined bay12. They were full of rage and wonder, of my constant lack of understanding of the game but the constant awe I was struck by. I basically got fed up and decided to dig everything before dying, repeatedly.

And now, I build fortresses and dig everything. The circle of life!

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2012, 03:47:29 am »

All I had to do in order to get my ex-fiancée to play it was to mention that its learning curve made EVE’s look like a gentle incline.

I didn't really notice any incline on EvE's curve. That's why I probably took up DF so easily.
I didnt notice it either, They scream about the curve but i dont see it Haha.
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2012, 03:53:00 am »

I have never found a game more difficult than DF, besides I Wanna Be The Guy. That game was cheaty-difficult though.

I've always loved extremely difficult games. :P

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2012, 04:13:50 am »

I have never found a game more difficult than DF, besides I Wanna Be The Guy. That game was cheaty-difficult though.

I've always loved extremely difficult games. :P
Eh, They are two different kinds of difficult,
Wanna be the guy is more Trial and error, and remembering where platforms are.

Dwarf fortress for me.. The difficulty is in the small mistakes i make.

"Alright so this channel needs to lead near the hospital"
*Drops down a z-level*
"The bedrooms are flooded.... shit"

Anyway: My experience:

"So uh... Whats this?"
"Dwarf fortress"
"Whats it about?"
"Oh, You build things, micromanage your workers lives, Create super structures, watch your civilisation rise and fall"
"Ooh, Okay... Sounds fairly standard"
"I wouldnt say that, Butchering cats and mutalating elves sets it apart"

After that, No words needed to be spoken.
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2012, 04:35:15 am »

What is an untainted fortress like, free of the blight the community encourages?

Hmm... I remember my Forts before I joined bay12. They were full of rage and wonder, of my constant lack of understanding of the game.

Hah! I remember my first fort like it was yesterday.
"So... this is a cave...?
"Lets dig some of these cave walls"
"These nothing here... well this sucks"

Little did i know. I was on the surface, and i thought it was stone beneath me since it was snowy :P

So i looked up a tutorial.
Now im slaughtering elves like the rest of the veterans

*Also: Sorry for the rapid posts. Just got my net bank, Scratchin that bay12 itch.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2012, 04:43:15 am »

I can say that I find DF difficult due to the micromanagement and the difficulty of keeping two hundred drunken psychotic midgets in a state of normality. That's a pretty different kind of difficult than any other game.

I love the part where I can sit back proudly, having gotten everydwarf into a good state of mind, with no deaths... with hunters bringing in enough food so that food/drink is in a stable and self sustaining state...

And then watching a proud fort promptly go to shit from one tiny teetering malfunction in my control, or pure chance. I enjoy that moment.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2012, 05:02:10 am »

I can say that I find DF difficult due to the micromanagement and the difficulty of keeping two hundred drunken psychotic midgets in a state of normality. That's a pretty different kind of difficult than any other game.
It says a lot about DF that keeping two hundred sober psychotic midgets in a state of normality is pretty much impossible. :P

I love the part where I can sit back proudly, having gotten everydwarf into a good state of mind, with no deaths... with hunters bringing in enough food so that food/drink is in a stable and self sustaining state...

And then watching a proud fort promptly go to shit from one tiny teetering malfunction in my control, or pure chance. I enjoy that moment.
Yeah, I think the defining moment of Dwarf Fortress and where the ‼Fun‼ happens is the one where you go "Oh carp I accidentally flooded the bedrooms, a legendary miner just went psycho and also, suddenly goblins necromancers! D: "
A non-DF-player will probably never understand our frantic cries of "Pull The Lever! Pull The Lever!"
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2012, 08:42:49 am »

I once tried to talk about DF to my sister/parents at dinner. As I was laying down my thoughts of certain methods of prisoner disposal (and that letting them starve to death was too slow), my father yelled at me and compared my plans with the holocaust. I didn't try to talk about DF to them again :(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:44:55 am by RLPudding »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2012, 08:50:23 am »

I once tried to talk about DF to my sister/parents at dinner. As I was laying down my thoughts of certain methods of prisoner disposal (and that letting them starve to death was too slow), my father yelled at me and compared my plans with the holocaust. I didn't try to talk about DF to them again :(
/cite Geneva convention + /simulation, POW's intent on killing everyone and mutilating their corpses + /then why don't you give a crap about rl issues

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2012, 12:58:53 pm »

I've seen a few girls on these boards reference boyfriends. But it does seem like DF attracts a fairly high LGBT crowd for some reason. Or perhaps they're just more willing to admit it here?

Don't forget the asexuals.
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2012, 05:28:04 pm »

So I'm playing DF in my mom's room (computer was broke at the time) when I groan out loud.
Mom: What happened?
Me: An alligator bit my foot off!
Mom: Hahaha! What game are you playing?
Me: That game I was telling you about.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:08 pm »

Plus something like this  in actual graphics would pull in the media, then the stick up their butt "Soooooo EEeeeevvvviiiillll RUINING THE MINDS OF THE YOUTH" crowd, then next thing you know, Jack Thompson and Glen Beck will be crawling out of the woodwork...

IMHO, DF could gain mainstream attention from the City Builder game crowd if it was marketed as such. 

Assuming the interface was streamlined to maximized efficiency and minimize frustration, macromanagment tools like Dwarf Therapist were integrate into the game, in-game tutorials existed, and the graphics were decent by modern standards.'

The only real concession to the moral guardians it'd need would be making children immortal, since including that automatically makes a game AO, if it's not outright banned in most countries. There's pretty much no sexual themes or content, so the US would be A-okay with pretty much everything else, though Australia might insist the gore be lobotmized.

Maybe in 20 years or so...*shrug*
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:07:55 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2012, 06:16:26 pm »

Well, in the spirit of this thread, I just talked to my mother about the mermaid farming scenario, where large swaths of the ocean were drained, and breeding mermaids were set to have their children flung by bridge-a-pult to die so that their bones could be farmed.

Her response was, "That's not environmentally sustainable."

I told her it was OK because the mermaids don't need to eat, and can be chained up forever.

Mother: "Well, they aren't going to be of breeding age forever."

Me: "I think they have a maxage of 200 or something..."

Mother: "Well, I'd say that's baloney, but we're talking about mermaids, here..."
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17