Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever  (Read 97016 times)

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2012, 06:20:56 pm »

Well, in the spirit of this thread, I just talked to my mother about the mermaid farming scenario, where large swaths of the ocean were drained, and breeding mermaids were set to have their children flung by bridge-a-pult to die so that their bones could be farmed.

Her response was, "That's not environmentally sustainable."

I told her it was OK because the mermaids don't need to eat, and can be chained up forever.

Mother: "Well, they aren't going to be of breeding age forever."

Me: "I think they have a maxage of 200 or something..."

Mother: "Well, I'd say that's baloney, but we're talking about mermaids, here..."

See? Facination! It's not hard to find someone who would be disgusted by what we do, it is, however hard to find people who will actually be facinated by, and even encourage and try to help with what we're doing! (With the exception of people who're already playing, of course)
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2012, 06:24:15 pm »

I just went back and told her about catsplosion bombing the HFS (taking advantage of the high birth rates of rabbits, cats, dogs, gophers, and other small mammals to just bombard the HFS with so many creatures that the HFS can't kill them all), and she said she liked it, because it proves cats are deadlier than clowns.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2012, 06:31:06 pm »

And if she is allergic/doesn't like cats, it's just another reason to not have on in the house!
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2012, 12:31:21 am »

Dad: "So, what have you been doing?"
Me: "Oh, playing Dwarf Fortress. I modded cats so that they explode violently by existing, it was hilarious."
Dad: o.O
My Cats: *heads turn sharply to look at me* O.O
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2012, 12:54:32 am »

Your cats will never trust you again :P

I tried discussing DF with my brother and his girlfriend today, explaining how a ghost ripped a dorf's leg off right as his slab was being built, but the girlfriend was just repeating what I was saying like an annoying child, and this was distracting my brother. I don't think either of them got it...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2012, 01:03:07 am »

I've seen a few girls on these boards reference boyfriends. But it does seem like DF attracts a fairly high LGBT crowd for some reason. Or perhaps they're just more willing to admit it here?

Don't forget the asexuals.
According to about 99% of the people I've discussed the topic with asexuals don't exist. Cuz it's totally impossible for an individual to think that a minor tingling sensation in the crotch isn't the BEST THING EVER.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2012, 02:05:42 am »

by that very broad definition, anybody who doesn't put sex before anything else is asexual.

hmmmmmm.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2012, 03:00:37 am »

Assuming the interface was streamlined to maximized efficiency and minimize frustration, macromanagment tools like Dwarf Therapist were integrate into the game, in-game tutorials existed, and the graphics were decent by modern standards.'

And I guess this is one of the reasons why I'm glad DF in't mainstream

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 16, 2012, 09:03:29 am »

Graphics have been a bigger factor than anything I've seen.  But then if people can't look past the graphics, chances are they can't fully utilize the game either.

I have some older colleagues who grew up on the likes of Zork. What they seemed to like best about DF was how you let your imagination fill in the blanks.

What is an untainted fortress like, free of the blight the community encourages?

I managed to learn enough on my own to drop my FPS to the low thirties. That's when I decided I needed help. Felicide isn't a blight, it's a survival skill.

(snip)
According to about 99% of the people I've discussed the topic with asexuals don't exist. Cuz it's totally impossible for an individual to think that a minor tingling sensation in the crotch isn't the BEST THING EVER.

The angry ghost of Urist McCastrate would like to have a few words with you, regarding your insensitivity towards the sexually disabled.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2012, 10:03:40 am »

Not so much a reaction to gameplay so much as rather the game itself.

My girlfriend refers to the DF music as 'the call of the Dwarfs', and when it plays in the background when I'm trying to work or such she declares that 'the Dwarfs are calling' me.

I think it's quite a nice idea, really, that Dwarfish/Mythical creature speech sounds like music to simple U ears; that when the music plays it's really the Dwarfs of DF answering back to me for all the hell I've put them through.

That and, "Why are you killing all the kittens?! Noo!"
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2012, 06:48:03 am »

sorry for the derail, but i was listening to this: as I read this, and it is the perfect soundtrack for this thread.
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2012, 07:46:06 am »

One faceboook update went along these lines:
"Dwarf Fortress: the only game in history where you can someone with their own tongue."

Reactions were general 'likes' and several "Da fuq" esque comments.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2012, 09:37:29 am »

sorry for the derail, but i was listening to this: as I read this, and it is the perfect soundtrack for this thread.

You probably meant to link to something, there, but you didn't...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2012, 09:39:31 am »

What are 'this'?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2012, 03:14:16 pm »

lulz fail http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPfMb50dsOk

my best reaction goes like this:

*me, describing basics of designation to friend*
"... and then you press "w" for workshop, and then "m" for mason..."
friend:*stares blankly*
"... and then you use the arrow keys to choose were to put it, and then you choose the material..."
friend: "this sounds really complicated...."
me, thinking: "you don't say"
speaking: "wel can't describe it verbally!"
we then went on about how to aquire swords for a while. not the bbest story, but had to make up for muh derail
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17