Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever  (Read 97010 times)

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest reactions to DF gameplay, ever
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2012, 10:37:36 pm »

Was said person an immature 12 year old? *ohsnapburn*. This, this always happens whenever i play any game that isn't CoD and tell people about it, though i am 14 so that's to be expected, and i dont know why. What is it people see in CoD? Its just people running at each other in waves and insaulting each others... private parts. People (or kids) seem to see it as some super realistic war simulator and it makes them feel "cool" if they play it, though its not. Can you stab both of a guys eyes and slap him with a thong until he bleeds out in CoD?  Can you drop a cat into magma to see how long it takes for tier fat to melt off? I can never show people how in-depth t is though, as they immediatly quit immediatly when they see that it isnt an FPS.
ROFLMAO that's like calling super Mario Bro's or Donkey Kong, or Pong for that matter childish.

Terriaria looks pretty cool, like a platformer on steroids... Did your friend also ever play Castlevenia or Mega Man??? What about the early Final Fantasies.
Get Terraria. I have it and i have nearly 200 hours playtime, its amazing. Its a steal for 10$.

Haha, I will have to one day... I'm not usually that easily impressed by platformers, its not my favorite genre.

I would like to point out FPS's do not cause stupidity. I have met my fair share of annoying 12 yr old's that play them (mostly on the console HALO I'm lookin at you..., and now more on sites like quake live (which is sad)). But some of the most elite and professional gamers are FPS'ers. I use to be a hard core Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake, Team Fortress (not the crappy new one), Unreal, Joint Ops player. I aint got the reflexes no more though =/ Buuuttt I sorta hated CoD, well the single player was.... ok, bearable... but the game was too buggy for me during network play. Also unrealistic. Unrealism is ok in FPS's that don't try to pretend to be realistic =)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 10:39:41 pm by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2012, 11:20:30 pm »

Graphics have been a bigger factor than anything I've seen.  But then if people can't look past the graphics, chances are they can't fully utilize the game either.

Also I'm curious as to how many people play DF but have never been on the forums...

What is an untainted fortress like, free of the blight the community encourages?
Sorry folks, I'm a "Lawful Good" IRL and play my fortresses with no intentional dwarven deaths, and do not kill puppies and or kittens. when my hammerer was in the game and I'd taken away his hammer I thought I'd nerfed dwarven justice, nope I'd missed checking out the hammerer's stats, he was superdwarvenly strong and was punching his fist through the skulls of the criminals EVERY damn time. Locked up the hammerer till I could set up cages to use for the dwarven justice.

On topic: after describing the loyalty cascade fort that went down to a single dwarf that was able to survive 3 years of goblin sieges single handed while slowly gathering all the bones and skulls of the dwarves that died and placing them into coffins, till finally more migrants arrive to save the fort, I got a "cool, that game sounds really involved" He has not tried it yet, not enough time to play it.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 22, 2012, 08:24:29 am »

I feel bad for the sidetrack... But it has been interesting, ta!

When can we feed our dwarves algae nurtured in ponds filled with a nutrient slurry made of dead enemies?!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 22, 2012, 11:20:15 am »

When can we feed our dwarves algae nurtured in ponds filled with a nutrient slurry made of dead enemies?!

When Toady gets around to making the Improved Farming stuff... maybe.  It's near the bottom of the ESV-related stuff
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

morderkaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2012, 01:25:27 pm »

Just yesterday started describing DF to a friend. After sending him the Lazy Newb Pack, I started giving a few tips, including this one

Me: When you choose a embark site, if you see a description like Evil or Hostile or Haunted, dont start there.
Him: Those sound like fun
Me: Yes... Very fun. BTW, I haven't told you the motto of the game yet....

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 26, 2012, 01:31:20 pm »

I believe someone is currently working on some reactions that turn corpses->building materials. It would only take a small tweak to make a reaction that turns corpses->food.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2012, 02:01:48 pm »

@on-topic
Lol, those are great!

@derail topic:

Here's something to consider: we don't actually use the protein. Our bodies break it down into amino acids, and then build protein we can use. Sure, fruits and veggies are low in protein, but they're high in amino acids. Of the amino acids we can't produce ourselves, nearly 100% of our needs can be obtained through a healthy balance of fruits and veggies.  The rest can be found in consuming just a few ounces of a high source, such as salmon, each week. Not measured in ounces a day, ounces a week. Meat is nearly entirely unnecessary.

Those same acids can be obtained from non-meat sources, but they're in very low concentrations, and would require you to rebalance the rest of your diet to compensate for eating so much of the one thing.

Oh, and the average human can only digest about 6oz of animal protein in a single sitting, which is why they teach you in culinary and nutritional schooling that the optimal portion is 3-5 oz. Go to an American steakhouse. The 'petite' steak is 6oz. Other options are 9, 12, and 16oz. Once you pass 6oz, your body starts laying down cholesterol in your cardiovascular system to protect it.

And now I'm going to get off my 'eat healthier' soapbox, because I could break down exactly what each commonly consumed food does to your body, and this re-derail post would be 3 times larger :D
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:31 pm »

Veganism is all well and good. But not for me. We're omnivores, like it or not, that's why we have teeth that can grind vegetable matter, but not as well as a herbivore, and teeth that can tear delicious, delicious flesh, but not as good as a carnivore. Now, my (and your) distant ancestors didn't make it to the top of the food chain without sharp teeth and pointy claws for me to eat lettuce. I'll consider converting to being a veggie if they ever come up with a way to replicate the taste, look, and texture of a perfectly cooked rare steak.

And, although I didn't see much soy championing here, tofu is not all that good for you. It's really high in estrogen. To the point where I've seen articles in health magazines about men growing boobies from eating a diet high in soy products.http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2012, 02:58:43 pm »

there are alot of things in meat that we REALLY need and its quite difficult to get these in plant matter or any other matter for that matter. 
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2012, 03:14:07 pm »

Dear god this thread gets derailed a lot...

My nephews actually interested in this game, even though he can't really understand it. He always wants to know what the dorfs are doing. He's 11 though so I don't mention the horrible, gory fates of said dorfs most of the time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2012, 04:06:09 pm »

there are alot of things in meat that we REALLY need and its quite difficult to get these in plant matter or any other matter for that matter.

Any other matter, except vitamin tablets.  Multivitamin supplements are cheap.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 26, 2012, 04:13:34 pm »

Hey, I'm all "rah, rah, don't eat animals" and "yay for food science", but let's keep this on track, yes?  I'm sure the lower forums would just love to have a discussion like this down there. 

Unless your friend's/relative's/neighbor's/hired prostitute's reaction involves food and nutrition, of course. 

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »

various statements of 'that looks like vomit' or 'i thought you were programming' have usually been the case.

my first reaction when i saw this game was 'man that looks like shit'

i was wrong.

the amount of imagination ive drawn out is immense just from a 'flys off in an arc' report. and that is why i love this game.
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2012, 04:43:29 pm »

Dear god this thread gets derailed a lot...

My nephews actually interested in this game, even though he can't really understand it. He always wants to know what the dorfs are doing. He's 11 though so I don't mention the horrible, gory fates of said dorfs most of the time.
What is it with people assuming kids are complete idiots and can't understand this game/other games? I mean, your avredge CoD kid I would understand but everyone just seems to assume that kids are huge idiots and that everything is to "mature" for them. I started playing when I was 12, and got it fine, goriness included. I never did any bad stuff, but I knew it was possible. This happens with most games I play, I'm judged on my age and it annoys me immensely. Ok, whining aside, I actually tried to teach this game to my brother (he's 8 ) as soon as he could read, and now he tells me story's of how Urist Mcepic killed something. It just makes my day hearing an 8 year old exclaim random funny things that happen to him. Sadly, he only plays adventure mode (usually i vamp him first so he doesint half to worry about eating), the micromanagement of death known as Fortress mode is too confusing for him.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:47:22 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2012, 05:23:52 pm »

-eek massive-

We don't need to discuss this in this thread, really, so please don't continue, but I have made some observations:

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17