Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Most awaited long term goal?  (Read 9868 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most awaited long term goal?
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:41:54 am »

For you, what it is?

I'm hesitant between

Coming up with a plan to overcome pathing obstacles to reach fortress innards

Ability to dig (optionally, default on)
    Ability to build bridges/ramps
    Ability to use grappling hooks/ladders/climb

and

Military

Dwarven armies
        Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)

what about you?

What is not there in the dev log that you think would be awesome and should be done too?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Most awaited long term goal?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:07:56 am »

I believe I speak for a vast majority of the community when I say "Meet the Cyberfist"

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 06:51:24 am »

Time traveling... nah I kid.

Grappling hooks would make sieges a bit more difficult to defend from if they can go over your fort.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Piggy

• Bay Watcher
  • Th-That's easy! G-George W-Wash...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 06:55:01 am »

"Ability to use grappling hooks"
Oh god, dwarf fortress is going ninja!

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 06:57:03 am »

Oh having boiling pots of oil pouring over the lads scaling the walls would be nice.

EDIT: oh right... lava.

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 07:20:52 am »

I hope there will be a way to counter diggers/climbers. Otherwise they could make elaborate traps and fortress design considerations pretty useless.

I don't have a problem with losing a fortress but I don't want it to be such that I may as well revert to log walls if building anything more complicated would be a waste of time due to being circumvented anyway.

I do want to see what happens with that, though.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 07:25:30 am »

Bigger walls would be harder to climb and maybe if you make buildings out of smooth rock blocks instead of the just the normal rough rocks it might be harder to climb since you have nothing to grab on to? Also lack in strength or tiredness might cause the climber to fall causing fall damage. If they get shot they also might fall. Just some ideas.

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:34:01 am »

I'll go with Improved sieges too. I approve anything that makes the game more realistic, difficult and/or harder to predict.

Outside the devlog, I would like to see stuff like natural disasters and need for ventilation etc. implemented someday.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 07:35:17 am »

Bigger walls would be harder to climb and maybe if you make buildings out of smooth rock blocks instead of the just the normal rough rocks it might be harder to climb since you have nothing to grab on to? Also lack in strength or tiredness might cause the climber to fall causing fall damage. If they get shot they also might fall. Just some ideas.

Really it's the diggers I'm concerned about, since the climbers/bridge builders/whatever will just be like different versions of fliers.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 07:50:37 am »

Yeah improved sieges and the entire military bit will be undoubtably awesome, I'm excited about personality. Having dwarves predisposed toward some things from birth, but shaped from experience, making moral and ethical decisions based on who they are. I can especially see this going well with how different dwarf culture is to our own. I mean sure, my ultimate goal is to make a willy wonka style fortress where greedy or otherwise flawed dwarves are lured into a deadly situation, but I think it would be nice to see who those little bastards really are. Even if it is by seeing if they go for the forbidden exploding booze over the claimed dwarven syrup roast.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 08:20:47 am »

I didn't even think about the diggers.
*Cringe*
Could cause some unwanted cave-ins or flood your whole fort if you have a moat or a water source nearby.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 09:22:09 am »

I didn't even think about the diggers.
*Cringe*
Could cause some unwanted cave-ins or flood your whole fort if you have a moat or a water source nearby.

That sounds... Awesome?

I'm all up for more challenges and ways to have Fun.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 11:26:11 am »

Definitely more dangerous sieges where they bring ladders and grappling hooks and picks and battering rams.

Tactical placing of the fort would matter a lot more than it does now. High walls built of smooth blocks. If you were really hardcore you could make walls out of glass, making them unclimbable. That would be neat.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 11:53:47 am »

But diggers would invalidate all these defenses.

The quote implies that diggers are going to be configurable so I'll likely turn these off.

The  only effective defense I can think of is lava waterfalls.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 11:57:51 am »

Really it's the diggers I'm concerned about, since the climbers/bridge builders/whatever will just be like different versions of fliers.

Diggers are not that bad, constructed walls, floors and ceilings will mitigate them I'm pretty sure. It would be fun to set up artificial weak points to lure the diggers into certain 'traps' though =) I'm more worried about ramps and bridges, but even then a solid constructed roof 'should' protect against those.

What we really need for challenge is siege equipment that can destroy your constructions (catapults busting your walls yo..!) That will make the diggers and the rampers effective. Maybe even give good reason for you to counteract enemy seige equipment with your own.
I voted for BANANA!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4