Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Most awaited long term goal?  (Read 9826 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Most awaited long term goal?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 05:25:27 am »

I can't wait for ladders/ropes/whatever so we can dig sheer sided pits without leaving crap at the bottom. The main reason there was such an uproar when channeling was changed.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2012, 10:43:12 am »

Honestly, I just want FPS optimizations. I'm sick of having every fort die to FPS boredom after 4-6 years. Every feature he adds before he works on this is just gonna make it worse.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 10:50:22 am »

PowerGoal 139, A BATTERY OF AA MECHANICS, (Future): You receive the holy relic of Aa from a manifestation of the deity. You bring it to the Temple of Aa and set it on the altar. People dance as you chant the prayer of Aa. Word spreads quickly that a prophet of Aa has arisen, and the religion of Aa sweeps throughout the land.

I want to start a crusade against the heathens.

The whole old power goal, bloats, and etc. are here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Consolidated_Development:_Arcs,_core-items,_bloats,_Reqs_and_Powergoals
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:52:27 am by jimi12 »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 01:45:41 pm »

PowerGoal72, YEAH!, (Future): The explorers make their way down the cave river, past dangerous stalagmites in the rapids, turn to face each other and do a high-five.

But seriously, I'm super psyched about Caravan Arc Release 5, when all the worldgen events happens in actual play and you can affect civilizations and their populations with your actions apart from killing them.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 04:42:48 pm »

No, we don't have that, but we do have the core: the interaction system already built into the game. Already, some amazing magic has come out of that; see Dwarf Chocolate especially for that.

Having something to do with the interaction menu or mods is not the same as Toady's framework for procedurally generated magic. Otherwise you could argue that butchering meat = the magic system because it uses the x menu.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 04:59:13 pm »

It is the framework for magic, not randomly generated magic.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 05:22:04 pm »

No, we don't have that, but we do have the core: the interaction system already built into the game. Already, some amazing magic has come out of that; see Dwarf Chocolate especially for that.

Having something to do with the interaction menu or mods is not the same as Toady's framework for procedurally generated magic. Otherwise you could argue that butchering meat = the magic system because it uses the x menu.

...the only "secret"-type interaction in DF is necromancy, which is pretty explicitly magic.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 08:15:50 pm »

Modding the procedural generator.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 10:24:46 pm »

Modding the procedural generator.

mmm, yeah...

In fact, the overall raw-ification of the game is what I probably look most forward to.

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 12:21:40 am »

I hope there will be a way to counter diggers/climbers. Otherwise they could make elaborate traps and fortress design considerations pretty useless.

I don't have a problem with losing a fortress but I don't want it to be such that I may as well revert to log walls if building anything more complicated would be a waste of time due to being circumvented anyway.

I do want to see what happens with that, though.

Build your wall with steel, and floor your fortress with it as well. Or any strong metal really, the goal would be to completely encapsulate your fort with a layer of metal that a digger could not dig through. The wall of steel would be immensely hard to climb (a steel wall *should* be very smooth) and also be too strong to dig through, unlike a wall built of microcline.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12:30 am »

The core of the Magic framework.

We already have that...

We have a magic system that's procedurally generated on every world? Wanna point me to the dev notes for that? Right now we have a single power and a rationalization for how we get it. Even Toady has said it's an isolated example he's hard-coded into the game.

The interaction system isn't the core of the magic system, according to Toady. The eventual magic system might not even use interactions.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 10:34:31 am »

Real mountainhomes, retreats and dark forts would be nice too.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2012, 03:05:59 pm »

I believe Toady once mentioned being able to set up a fortress til its relatively self suffiecient then being able to leave it to start another fort without actually abandoning the one you are working on. You can then trade with your old fort in Fortress mode and visit it and its inhabitants in Adventure mode.

I would really like to see that.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 11:07:34 pm »

Personality rewrite. I'd love dwarves with more personal goals, likes and dislikes and generally opinions about the world and events.

Second most waited would be improved sieges. I believe diggers could be hindered by deep moats, but having enemy siege engines fire from afar would be more challenging. I'm pretty sure we'll have our own catapults capable of firing to other z-levels by then too.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2012, 12:06:01 am »

Honestly, I just want FPS optimizations. I'm sick of having every fort die to FPS boredom after 4-6 years. Every feature he adds before he works on this is just gonna make it worse.

We got some recently. Fortress mode went up about 25 FPS on average for me on the new 0.34.xx version. I used to get 40 FPS with 115 Dwarves, now I get 75-85 FPS with 150 Dwarves. Its freaking great.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4