Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Most awaited long term goal?  (Read 9825 times)

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most awaited long term goal?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2012, 02:06:57 am »

Honestly, I just want FPS optimizations. I'm sick of having every fort die to FPS boredom after 4-6 years. Every feature he adds before he works on this is just gonna make it worse.

We got some recently. Fortress mode went up about 25 FPS on average for me on the new 0.34.xx version. I used to get 40 FPS with 115 Dwarves, now I get 75-85 FPS with 150 Dwarves. Its freaking great.
Yeah, I usually run pretty solid FPS on my forts even with over 200 dwarves living in it. However, it does tend to tank when I reach the magma sea. Between all the magma popping into view and all the caverns I tend to breach getting there my framerate drops considerably.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2012, 03:58:55 am »

I still wait for the ancient Powergoal of Trollball to come to realization.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2012, 06:10:09 am »

I hope there will be a way to counter diggers/climbers. Otherwise they could make elaborate traps and fortress design considerations pretty useless.

I don't have a problem with losing a fortress but I don't want it to be such that I may as well revert to log walls if building anything more complicated would be a waste of time due to being circumvented anyway.

I do want to see what happens with that, though.

Maybe they could only dig through stone walls. Metal walls would be a bit tougher.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2012, 08:00:05 am »

It's more of a mid-term goal, but I'm really looking forward to having inns in fortress mode.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2012, 09:32:37 am »

Digging and building/using workshops in adventure mode, having little shops, and being a massive troll with both in towns - literally undermining your competition.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:19 am »

Boats and sea travel + Kraken
Also Afterlife
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2012, 06:55:41 am »

FPS optimization and pipes

that is all
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2012, 06:59:52 am »

countering the diggers is easy.
one needs just to remind the Toad Overlord that diggers in the middleages were tasked with building in "months" a tunnel, which would be structurally "weak" so that the walls above would fall down on their own weight. that's what a digger is. now, if we have goblin moles who dig straight entering tunnels, that's a problem, though if it's made to be a bit more *realistic* probably it will be suicide squads which will dig till the walls, and then the walls would crumble.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2012, 08:22:19 am »

Boats and sea travel + Kraken
Also Afterlife

Oh, yeah. How could I forget? You reminded me that I'm one of the Dune-nerds that wants sandworm megabeasts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]