Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I sometimes misread "Today" as "Toady".  (Read 6673 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: I sometimes misread "Today" as "Toady".
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 08:43:15 am »

Not really that surprising, considering the only difference is the position of two letters.
I think you're vastly underestimating the seriousness of this situation.
/notsureifsrs
The guy mixed up two letters. Two letters. What else is that but unmitigated disaster? A mark of shame that he may have to carry for the rest of his life.

And you're saying it's a minor thing everyone does. Pish posh! Let's not have truth and facts get in the way of our wild theories and solutions.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 09:30:14 am »

Not really that surprising, considering the only difference is the position of two letters.
I think you're vastly underestimating the seriousness of this situation.
/notsureifsrs
The guy mixed up two letters. Two letters. What else is that but unmitigated disaster? A mark of shame that he may have to carry for the rest of his life.

And you're saying it's a minor thing everyone does. Pish posh! Let's not have truth and facts get in the way of our wild theories and solutions.
Can never be too careful.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 09:36:03 am »

I'm telling you, the Haruspex said you need four rats in your open wounds to get better ! One for each month you see, it's proven science.

Xune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 06:34:31 pm »

Haha, this happens to me to although only on the bay12 boards, it's like my subconscious is expecting it.

I have a similar experience scanning through server logs, I always read popemail as Pope mail.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 06:42:20 pm »

I have a similar experience scanning through server logs, I always read popemail as Pope mail.

... you may want to get to a doctor.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Xune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 06:52:38 pm »

Why?

It's an honest mistake that makes me chuckle. It's not like I'm making up entirely different words, just inserting a break in the wrong place.

Edit: Oh right, cancer, gotcha! :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:24:31 pm by Xune »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 09:27:06 pm »

Just laugh.  If it's nothing, its funny.  If it's deadly, you might as well die laughing. :P

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 11:36:24 pm »

I sometimes misread "Today" as "Toady". Is it a sign of something bad happening to me?

'Today' as 'Toady'? Oh dear. Here, let me administer this test quickly. I'm going to have to shave off a bit of that beard you've got growing there - it'll grow back, stop making such a fuss. No, you won't look 'like an elf', I assure you that your fears are entirely unjustified. My goodness... it seems you're exhibiting some of the symptoms more strongly than I'd feared.

Sit down. Here, take this questionable foul-smelling alcoholic beverage, you probably need it. Now, please brace yourself. What I'm about to tell you may cause you some degree of distress.

You have Tarnitis.

Now, calm down, you need to listen to the facts. As you may know, Tarnitis is incurable. Its effects are eventually fatal. Sufferers of Tarnitis feel an obsessive need to grow out all of their body hair and consume vast quantities of alcohol. They will party at any given opportunity, and will frequently refuse to work or do anything productive, claiming that they are 'on break'. They will develop a strange fascination with - sir, please stop playing with that sock. No, you can't have mine. Ehm, as I was saying... they are susceptible to the affections of felines, and should avoid animal shelters and similar venues lest they end up with an unmanageable number of pets.

You may also find yourself spontaneously worshiping toads. Tarnitis sufferers sometimes report having overwhelming urges to pet, stroke, or even lick real or inanimate toad-like objects or images. You are advised to avoid any of these, as amphibians typically carry many germs that can be harmful to humans.

Now, as for managing your disease, your best bet is to - sir - sir - where are you - no, you should NOT take the socks from that man who was just struck by an automobile - sir...!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 02:01:31 am »

You have a rare disease with an unpronounceable name. The only cure is, when you go to sleep at night, imagine a big spider like a Tarantula is hiding under your pillow, and then as you're drifting off to sleep, imagine the spider coming out from under your pillow and crawling all over your face. Do this all night, every night, until you are cured.

That'll be $200, please.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 10:41:39 am »

Bonus points if a spider really is under your pillow :3

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 10:46:54 pm »

People usually read the first and last lterrs of a word and then galnce through the ones in the midle to deretmine the word. In your mind, Toady probably has a higher rakning than Today so your brain auto-matches the T and Y as Toady, and you only realize it when you find that it doesn't fit in context. Sometimes when people say that a large proportion of the population are dyslexic, I wonder if people are dylexic by the nature of how they read.
So, if all of the ltetres in my wdros are mxeid up, you can sltil udenrsantd?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 12:10:57 am »

Perfectly.  :D
Pages: 1 [2]