Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgot the Name of a Book  (Read 1375 times)

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgot the Name of a Book
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:56:03 pm »

It's a fantasy book which came out (I think) within the last four years, I think it's likely to have come out within the last two. It was probably a British book, but not necessarily.
It was a story about this wizard growing up, he grew up in the circus but his family and circus comrades were killed by shadowy figures because his father was singing an historical song which the shadowy figures wanted forgotten. He was homeless for a long time until he managed to get out of the city to a magical academy where he was allowed in for free due to his outstanding talent. I can't really remember what happened after that, he was looking for evidence of the shadowy things existence with his girlfriend or something.
The book was told as if it was told by the wizard himself at a much later time in his life and it was interspaced by him working as a landlord in a pub telling the tale to a journalist. At the end of the book the journalist was threatened by the wizard's apprentice.
Could anybody help me out? I really want to read the sequel!

Anybody can use this thread for other books they can't remember the name of too. :)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: Forgot the Name of a Book
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:14:11 pm »

The book is called The Name of the Wind and the sequel is The Wise Man's fear
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 05:24:08 pm »

Wow! Thanks a lot, I wasn't expecting such a hasty reply!
Four years ago it came out? Blimey.
I'll be off to the bookshop first thing tomorrow morning. :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 06:21:03 pm »

Well the sequel only came out a little over a year ago and the third book is still on its way. Awesome series in all, a very good read.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:19:33 pm »

+1

Awesomely well written series. I consumed both both books in a 30 hour binge and then slept like the dead. I can't wait for the next one. The author's name is Patrick Rothfuss. Read his books, be enthralled.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.