Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Music for the Masses - A use for Instruments  (Read 4077 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Music for the Masses - A use for Instruments
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »

Hi,

I made a little something about music, based upon the idea Lycaeon posted in this thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106597.msg3164758#msg3164758

What it does is this: You can build a new building, the music stage. Here you can play a song for each of the 12 instruments I made, each song gives a different special effect to all dwarves nearby (25 tiles, line of sight) This should be enough to meet the standarts of the grandest dining hall ;)

List of instruments and effects:
Code: [Select]
elf
[NAME:lyre:lyres] SLEEP, fall asleep
[NAME:triangle:triangles] CLEAN, clean
[NAME:pan flute:pan flutes] SUSTENANCE, No food/drink

human
[NAME:harmonica:harmonicas] COURAGE, no fear
[NAME:long trumpet:long trumpets] FIGHTING, likes fighting
[NAME:violin:violins] SPEED, 25% faster

dwarf
[NAME:drum:drums] BATTLE, 25% stronger/endurance
[NAME:baritone:baritones] LUCK, 250% SKILL_ROLL_ADJUST
[NAME:horn:horns] LABOR, no sleep

drow
[NAME:ominous horn:ominous horns] COMMAND, noemotion, slower movement
[NAME:haunting flute:haunting flutes] HORROR, no nauses, fever, dizziness
[NAME:bonerattle:bonerattles] DANCE OF THE DEAD, raise all nearby dead

entity_default
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

building_music

reactions

interactions

inorganics

instruments

All effects last 2 weeks, and only one song can affect a dwarf at the same time. Note that these custom instruments have to replace the normal ones in the entity file, otherwise you have no way to get them. The "evil" ones are for a custom race I made, you could just give them to any other race instead.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Music for the Masses - A use for Instruments
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:55:17 pm »

A problem: "in him" in the "metal" song interaction does not consider female gender.

But yeah, it's an awesome addition for sure :).

P.S. Also "but knows nothing can be worse THAN the longing...".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:09:15 pm »

Yeah, it ignores genders for now... and thanks for the typo spotting. :)

Anyone who has a good idea for more songs, go ahead and post them. I can add as many as I want, these are the basic version...

A full concert using all instruments for epic effects ? A battle horn that enables soldiers to frighten invading armies ? A flute that gives animals the ability to speak ? Can all be done. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:33:40 pm »

Looks great!
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:04:26 pm »

Yeah, it ignores genders for now... and thanks for the typo spotting. :)

Anyone who has a good idea for more songs, go ahead and post them. I can add as many as I want, these are the basic version...

A full concert using all instruments for epic effects ? A battle horn that enables soldiers to frighten invading armies ? A flute that gives animals the ability to speak ? Can all be done. :)

"Song of the Hearth" -- A soothing song that temporarily increases the healing of those within sight of the performance. Possibly sung by an old veteran meant to stir the feelings of home... Something like this?

"Vision of Armok" -- A drum heavy stirring song. All within sight gains the [CRAZED] tag so they can spread his glory... in as violent means as possible. Good way to break sieges as their forces tear each other to pieces.

"Glory of the Ancestors" -- A martial dirge or chant stirring beardlings(young dwarves) with tales of heroes past glories, defiance, and defeats. Inspired by these tales of ancient heroes their acquisition of combat skills increase for the season. With their ancestors watching how can they let them down?
 Something like this possibly(in sound and tone):

"Dirge of the Fallen" -- A slow, mournful dirge fills the air sapping the will to live from those who hear it. Overwhelmed with images of those who have fallen they take on the very aspects of the dead. Listeners are granted NOFEAR, NOPAIN, NOEXERT, NOSTUN for a duration and their toughness and strength increased... but this is not without a price. Overwhelmed by their visions they see the futility of existence and become [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] permanently. "Foolish creatures..." they say, "...how can you hope when you are already dead?"

"War Bellow" -- The performer unleashes a viscouss, wordless roar that stuns all those who face them with fear. Now is the time for you forces to strike!

I have a few more, will these help?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:22:48 pm by Black_Legion »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 07:36:54 pm »

Nice ones, thank you :) Now I only have to find a way to run the reaction close to enemies, usually civilians do flee when they see enemies, and the song is not played then.

Best to target dwarves, not enemies. But maybe a good workaround can be found.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 07:54:23 pm »

finally, our juvenile trumpet-makers died not in vain
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!