Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: DrPoo's programming Jam, 100*C, a community project, that actually works.  (Read 41465 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

I have made a Google Doc to keep everything straight:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nt2xJX72Y-2lSOiGYyI0at5Bg6O-UD9tiTJsnK-zzVs/edit

Don't forget to sign up on the 'List of People'
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:42:44 pm by Kofthefens »
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile

Google Docs always amazes me.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

I posted it on the Doc, but we need at least a working name for the game.

As to the language, I think either Unity or Java.
Unity: Nice selection of languages, though I don't know if users will need to download additional software for this. It's too bad it doesn't have Java, but JavaScript is probably similar enough that I can learn.

Java: Pretty much everybody has it. From the GoogleDoc, another person other than me knows it.

I think that it really comes down to whether more people know a Unity language (C#, JavaScript, Boo), or Python. Answer on the GoogleDoc
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

C# is similar enough to Java that it should be easy to pick up for anyone familiar with the former.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

Okay. I'm happy to learn, so long as those who actually know it can help me with the syntax. I'd be perfectly willing to just help write the psuedo code.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

I've got an inexplicable craving to suggest we change the name to Mein Kraft, but seeing as a.) we're not German and b.) That name has nothing to do with the game as proposed, I'll refrain from it.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

That would be awesome, but your right.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games

Well, it seems I'm the only one who voted for Java. Looks like I'm learning a new language. :)

Also, we can go with Mein Kraft for now.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
My website - Free games

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

Hahaha thats awesome, sure will piss off the Minecraft fanboys.
Id say we use that as a working title.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile

I have a suggestion. These community projects tend to fail because of two things: lack of leadership and lack of people actually following through and doing things. To combat this, we could appoint one or two Marshals to each area of development- Programming, Assets, and Design- who would figure out what those departments need to do, and try to get people to do them. The position wouldn't be an "authority" or team leader, as this is a voluntary and democratic community project, but it would probably be helpful to have people acting as organizers.

If we do that, we should also probably have someone sign on as producer. This person must be in the project for the long haul, and would be responsible for 1) helping the Marshals communicate and coordinate, 2) figuring out what happens if one or all of the Marshals decide to step down or quit, and 3) speaking privately to anyone who is, as professional developers say, "being a dick." Just like the Marshals, the producer would not have authority or "final say" on any portion of the project, and is just meant to act as an organizer. It would not be "their" game- in fact, their most important responsibility would be ensuring that it was "our" game as a community, and that no one person is controlling the process by being the loudest.

Whether or not anyone else likes this idea, I could theoretically submit some code at this point in either of the platforms that are being discussed. Right now my programmer-hours are wrapped up in a personal project, but I may work on this every now and then as a break. If everyone agrees with my idea, I would be more than willing to act in some organizational capacity.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile

That sounds great! However, I don't think we have enough people for four manager type positions. Unless all three marshals work in their respective areas, there would be too many managers.

Also, could you explain exactly what you mean by Assets and Design?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile

That is probably true- I haven't read the thread thoroughly enough to get a feel for how many people are on board to make stuff. Maybe just a programming marshal and the producer?

By Assets I mean primarily art; I called it Assets to also include music, because I doubt there will be more than one or two musicians max. Design is the least well-defined, but would probably involve more overseeing the design document than organizing.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I totally agree with that policy.
I can make music but i need proper equipment for recording. Currently unemployed and with no real income, so its not going to happen very soon, unless we are speaking of midi stuff i guess.

Wich springs to mind: What kind music would fit to this? Im thinking Cortex Command style metal or industrial. But theres obvious bias here since im a metalhead who wants to put his 8-stringer to good use hehehe.

So yeah, we gotta get some people to run the joint, without screwing everything over. I guess untill we got enough people we all gotta take some responsibility and administration of things.

Mein Kraft will become something if we want it to guys!
Our warcry:

WIR KAPITULIEREN NIEMALS!

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So it's a mining/prospecting quarry/mineral extraction simulator with minecarts and engineering?
That sounds awesome!

Anyway, I'm a decent 3d modeller, and a hardcore c++'er, and still interested.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So it's a mining/prospecting quarry/mineral extraction simulator with minecarts and engineering?
That sounds awesome!

Anyway, I'm a decent 3d modeller, and a hardcore c++'er, and still interested.

Awesome to have you in! :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22