Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: New to this game, how to progress [Spoilers]  (Read 11276 times)

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New to this game, how to progress
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 02:31:14 pm »

ok so now my dwarf in a funny mood is, as i dreaded, a metal crafter.  So he's sitting around because i havent built a metalsmith workshop.  Hmr i havent mined any metal ore yet i hop i find something down below...

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 02:58:07 pm »

There is a 'modify' button y'know - it's in the top-right of your post. So you don't have to triple post. ;)
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes

zoutzakje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 04:37:13 pm »

ohhh sounds like a lot of fun you are having ^^ I can't wait to get a zombie infestation and werebeasts and the like. I suppose I'd have to play in an evil or haunted area for that to happen, right?
well, I got a whole bunch of nasty, desert dry, tree extinct, haunted locations on my current world. So loads of space to build (and lose) fortresses :D
also, I'm kind of in a tough spot myself as well at the moment lol. After having a blast with adventure mode, I decided to build my second fortress in a somewhat more crowded world (with lots of deserts and haunted spots, but i managed to pick out a good non aquifer spot), and things got really nasty right from the start.
So I started assigning jobs to dwarfs (we call em dorfs right?) and all seems well. one starts mining, one starts some woodcutting, the rest is waiting so far. Then i noticed my woodcutter is being chased by an alligator and is running for his life. He was still uninjured, but I was afraid the large green A would eventually get him (a green A in the woods? hard to spot it btw). So I created a military squad and assigned the only dorf that had some fighting skill to it. I hoped he would kill the Alligator. I was wrong.
fighting dorf died, but the Alligator got wounded very badly and he fled. Well allright, at least my woodcutter is safe I guess.
One of the dorfs, the miner, became unhappy because of losing a friend and having to watch how her friend decays (yeahhhh, can't build graves that quick, sorry). But I have a tiny bit of experience with dwarf thoughts (after all, I did cause that tantrum spiral on purpose), so I figured I could make her happy again before she'd go berserk.
So I create a stockpile and a meeting area, designate an area to mine out for farms and a stairway, and have my other dorfs move all the stuff from the wagon to the wood and regular stockpile. That's when 6 grey E's show up. 6 eliphants! They quickly marched to my dorfs who were moving stuff, killed them all, and then left again.
So now I got the lonely miner girl left, who is miserable from tragedy. Nearly entire fort wiped out before summer of the first year lol. Now I'm going to try to keep this fort alive as long as possible... I am hoping for some migrants really soon. And I hope for no more attacks.
But i could some ideas to give my lone dorf some happy thoughts quickly before she goes insane.

also completely off topic question, but....
when a dorf gets in a certain mood, like fey for example, does he or she obtain the items herself if available? or do I somehow have to manually get the requested items there? In my previous fort I had a dorf going insane because he didn't get the materials he wanted. He wanted a rock and some tanned leather. I know I probably didn't have the leather, but I had rocks all over the place. Certainly the "I need rock!" notice would be removed once he obtained it, right?

Kel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 02:18:54 am »

For your miner, perhaps enable masonry on her, build a wall around your stuff (keep the wildlife out!) and then start building statues, which should cheer her up once placed. Probably not sufficiently though. :P

As for moods, the moody dwarf will grab the items and move them to their workshop. The 'I need stone' etc. messages won't go away until construction has started. To see what you still need to provide them, 'q' over the building to see what they are demanding, and then 't' over the building to see what they've already got.
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 03:38:16 am »

I was kind of disappointed too about the HFS being spoiled. Is it worthwhile to add a [spoilers]-tag to the thread title?

Also, welcome to the game. Sounds like you're having fun.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

zoutzakje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 10:40:13 am »

I was kind of disappointed too about the HFS being spoiled. Is it worthwhile to add a [spoilers]-tag to the thread title?

Also, welcome to the game. Sounds like you're having fun.

fixed. Also, I read pretty much all about HFS on the wiki already, so I don't really mind myself. It's not like the wiki explicitely says how much FUN I could expect, so I'll just have to see for myself how bad it is when I dig deep enough :P

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New to this game, how to progress [Spoilers]
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 02:22:25 pm »

OK so after about 15 dwarfs dieing from beer-hydration i think the other 40 are OK.

im struggling a bit with this barrel allocation stuff.  I think whats happened is they all got moved off to one of my large stockpiles empty, but then instantly filled with all sorts of craft stuff and what not still. 
Good news is i got one of my dwarfs to find that axe and start chopping so at least ive been able to build some more barrels!

Dealing with dead bodies/coffins etc right now.  Man do i feel like im always behind and reacting to stuff rather than being proactive... and i have 3 seriously unhappy children!  I expect they will go loony soon enough. Hmr.

Built a smelter and furnace but still no ore hard enough to make pointy.

Now im going to work out who is going to be in my military  :D

---

OK so i caught up with my engraving slabs and making coffins, all my dwarves were beer-ed up, even set 5 of my dwarfs to start training... then two necromancers appeared and raised everything fleshy and skeletal in my garbage area outside...  they stomped right through my 5 militiamen, and the rest of my fortress... killed every last dwarf... even the ones in bed that didnt see or hear it coming... it was pretty swift and brutal.  Interestingly they all seemed to be walking corpses too... so i guess the necromancer was in there with them somewhere!  What to do now :/ !!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:55:40 pm by fluff79 »

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 01:59:40 pm »

This is something that is not obvious but you can make stone pots in a craft dwarf shop, these work as barrels. It took me a while to figure that out.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 04:02:26 am »

OK so ive found somewhere new to start my second fortress (i may look at trying to "reclaim" the other some day when ive learned more!).

So this place is serene and i think with low evil.  Unlike my last site this has a lot more plants, trees and some soil/clay/loam.  The land gradually slopes down towards the east with no mountains instead of being flat with a couple of tall peaks.  There are no aquifers and apparently there are some shallow and deep metals.  Its spring time and already its very warm outside.
My dwarves are tubby, full of confidence and pick ready so lets see how these ones get on!!

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2012, 10:51:36 am »

im having trouble setting up a farming plot that can grow plants that need light.  I channeled down to where i want the farm, mined open a stagnant pool of water to spread mud everywhere and even floored over the top afterwards in case this is the problem, but i just get the message "No mud/soil for farm Mud is left by water".  Is this because there arent any seeds that can be planted there (or that i dont own any yet that can)?
Mud definitely isnt the problem!!
Thanks

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2012, 11:24:54 am »

That message always appears, it's a small bug. You can build the farm plot nonetheless. If you really can't place the plot, you get a message in red: "Needs soil or mud".
The seeds are used after the plot is built.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2012, 11:30:06 am »

Yeah, IIRC (haven't played a long time now, save adventure mode), you don't need to make wet mud anymore. Check if you're not building on top of obsidian or rock salt pebbles. If you are, then you need to get it wet somehow.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

fluff79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 04:40:02 am »

thanks guys, in the wiki it mentions this error but im confused by what the exceptions are which make this warning appear and whether or not it is even relevant.

im trying to farm silt loam floor and the area i have set aside is also covered by mud dust. the dark areas dont give me any warnings, but the light areas do.

I'll give it a go and see if they plant there.  ive only just got the hang of planting so if they end up ignoring the area i wouldnt be sure if its something ive done wrong, or something wrong with the land  ;)

oh another question - if i want to build an additional set of staircases next to ones ive already built, but already mined around every side, how can i do this? do i need to build a block there, and then designate that the stair case?  do i have to do it from above and then below?  i cant quite work this bit out!

thanks again
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:50:05 am by fluff79 »

Kel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 07:50:51 am »

Do you mean you're asking how to build a staircase in an already-dug-out space?
If so, you need to construct it with b -> C -> x. Note the 'C' is upper-case.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 09:17:46 am »

Do you mean you're asking how to build a staircase in an already-dug-out space?
If so, you need to construct it with b -> C -> x. Note the 'C' is upper-case.
Yeah, and this is a pretty nice thing to know how to do; like walls you can make staircases (I'd go for up/down stairs) with a huge variety of materials form the silly (ash and soap) to the awesome (gold, steel and the blue stuff). 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5