Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What would be the worst drug to play Dwarf Fortress on?  (Read 17069 times)

Re: What would be the worst drug to play Dwarf Fortress on?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 09:36:45 am »

Mushrooms or LSD.

Even with a graphic set, there are random symbols all over the screen and if you were hallucinating the way mushrooms/LSD makes you hallucinate, the game would be too terrifying to look at.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 09:36:46 am »

Yes, but if you play DF I assumed the drug taker would already know how to play.
It might be interesting to ask an experienced player to take various drugs and start a fort on the same map under influence, to compare the effect of drugs on the mind of the average DF player. In a science context of course, with security staff, recording and all that. There were studies where artists were asked to draw a self-portrait every hour or so after taking drugs.

It's not the same thing as PCP, but I remember once reading about a guy who tried to play DF while severely drunk.

Once he sobered up the next day, he couldn't figure out why he had done almost anything he had done, and he had designated the building of numerous randomly-oriented small rooms and constructed levers which were connected to something, but whose effects he couldn't figure out.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 11:34:11 am »

...I need to arrange for a drunk turn in some random succession game.

It sounds horribly fun.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 11:45:19 am »

A strong hallucinogenic. Think LSD or peyote. You'd be seeing little midgets flying through your walls on fire.

I don't need drugs to see that. In fact, I'm seeing it right now, as my fortress crumbles to its end after a simultaneous fire-breathing titan and a goblin invasion.

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 11:50:33 am »

I thought amphetamines were a prerequisite?
Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 05:30:11 pm »

I suppose enough alcohol will do. Although extremely entertaining from an external viewpoint, doing stupid things, raging and breaking your computer is no good.

I already played DF under the effects of mild alcohol consumption, but never enough to fail spectacularly.

RevolutionaryDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 09:46:47 pm »

PCP or LSD would, seriously, just reduce DF to a bunch of flashy lights with no particular meaning.

Showing DF to someone in that frame of mind would be like showing someone a book in a language with a totally different alphabet than the one they understand - they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie. 

PCP, maybe. LSD, not quite.

You'd able to understand what you were seeing, but it would just mean something different to you. You might notice the colors as being infinitely beautiful, or the content of the game being more horrific than usual. The controls would definitely be confusing due to disorientation, and the rows/patterns would be hard to see because of the visual effects of LSD. The entire Dwarf Fortress window would probably melt and sway, and you might see faces in the ground tile arrangements.

You would see the visuals, but the conclusions you drew from those visuals combined with enhanced abstraction of thought would make you feel differently about dwarf fortress. You would still be able to understand it unless you had taken a much higher dose, when you would probably just become lost in your own mental world.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 03:00:02 am »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Sig'd

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 03:05:32 am »

I'm gonna be taking a couple of LSD tabs for a gig this Thursday.  I'll try and play DF when I get back and report the results.

This is solely for science and isn't just an excuse to trip, honest guv'nor.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 04:49:43 am »

DF IS my drug.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 07:05:15 am »

DF is my DF.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 07:17:55 am »

Computer games and drugs are mutually exclusive, especially complex games or games which require some skills which are not natural.

Console games are easier in this case.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 09:44:42 am »

I think DF is at it's worst when you aren't on a drug. I mean honestly, look at it. Look at what is going on in the game. If that wasnt something you'd think up while high on some out-there drug, I dont know what is.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 09:53:02 am »

Hi!

I am with Rex_Nex that DF and sanity and soberness are probably the most extreme combination you can go for. Which is quite nice, since I don't believe in drug usage (except for genuine medical purposes). In a way, DF is a nice way to keep kids drug-free :) :) :) :)

Yours,
Deathworks

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »

Yes, but if you play DF I assumed the drug taker would already know how to play.
It might be interesting to ask an experienced player to take various drugs and start a fort on the same map under influence, to compare the effect of drugs on the mind of the average DF player. In a science context of course, with security staff, recording and all that. There were studies where artists were asked to draw a self-portrait every hour or so after taking drugs.

I would be interested in how their fortress design changes, however, I do have to say that Dwarf Fortress is probably not visual enough (nor possessing of an intuitive enough UI) that the results would be readable, in most cases anyhow. Like most people have said, it would probably just all turn into blinking lights, with perhaps the occasional epileptic fit.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5