Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What would be the worst drug to play Dwarf Fortress on?  (Read 17071 times)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What would be the worst drug to play Dwarf Fortress on?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 12:54:28 pm »

Anything that kills you instantly.

I mean... that's pretty bad.
[Signature]

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 01:04:04 pm »

...I need to arrange for a drunk turn in some random succession game.

It sounds horribly fun.
Better yet, a whole succession game! Everyone who takes a turn has to have their BAC at least above the legal driving limit before starting. Writing the turn recap drunk is optional.

Think of it as roleplaying as the dwarves.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 01:49:08 pm »

Hm, it might be interesting to have one person play a succession fort on their own.  One year under the influence of a few different substances.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 03:42:16 pm »

As someone who plays DF high as a motherfucking kite most of the time (i.e. if its nighttime, there's a good chance I'm high and I mostly play games at night, 'cept on the weekend) I would say that weed is not too much of a problem when it comes to DF. Booze is a much bigger problem. The only times I've sworn at my computer for an extended period is playing DF while drunk*. But on the positive side, it makes me feel much more in character. About a year ago, I did try to play after ingesting some magic mushrooms. It was an awesome experience, but all I did was spend about an hour going up and down z-levels. That was more than enough for me. After that got boring/I accidentally mashed the keyboard in the right combination I checked out the legends screen. For a long time, maybe 40 minutes, I just observed the pattern of black and white on the screen. It was so soothing. Eventually I tried to read the actual words, but only got as far as "In the year 1, the dwarf..." before spacing out into images of toady's creative process**. 

* One of the phrases I used (specifically against my laptop, overheating bastard that it is) that really sticks in my mind is "I'm gonna go get a time machine and rape*** your father, motherfucker!". I worry that this is yet yet further proof for the theory that I went stark raving mad a while ago and nobody noticed. I mean, where the hell would I get a time machine at that time of night?

**Ok, I admit that said images were mostly of a giant toad laying waste to world cities while laughing, but I figure this is how my subconscious pictures the Great One's process. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:27:27 pm by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 04:25:14 pm »

With any drug that radically alters your state of mind, you're probably not going to be able to play DF, either because of incapacity, or because the influence of the drug is going to motivate you to do something else.

A stimulant would probably be the best kind of drug to play DF on, as long as you weren't geeked out of your skull.  A small to moderate dose of something like adderall, or a generous dose of caffeine, or something like that, would probably reduce errors of omission, increase your focus on the game, and because of the general mood elevating effects would also likely increase your enjoyment.  It would also be habit forming, and inadvisable.

A depressant would probably not be much fun, and you'd probably be happier listening to music or playing a less complex game, maybe something with flashy visuals that didn't require much though to enjoy.  A game like Black and White, which has a generally slow pace, and a fairly simple interface, but pretty things happening and stuff going on on the screen even when you're not interacting with it- and which doesn't require your constant intervention- is a good sort of game if you have to take pain pills or something like that, having just got your wisdom teeth out, or recovering from surgery.  Recreational use of depressants is a really bad idea, because they're notoriously easy to OD on, especially when mixed, not to mention habit forming and not really enough fun to be worth it.

A strong dose of a hallucinogen would take you straight out of DF-playing territory, but a mild dose could either prove to be incredibly awesome, a terrible idea, or just a lame flop.  Hallucinogens are funny like that. 

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 05:02:38 pm »

Raw hashish.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 05:12:42 pm »

Raw hashish.

Actually, if you got it just right, your extreme sluggishness might work in nicely with with FPS of, say 10-15. You might even be thinking "fuck! 10 is way to fast! Why won't it go down to five?". Of Course, it would take you about 90 seconds to think that. 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 05:17:51 pm »

What does raw hashish even mean?  Kief hash?  Oil?

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 06:57:25 pm »

Nutmeg. It's an unpleasant and long-lasting hallucinogen. Now add DF. The only thing going for it is its general availability.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 07:12:25 pm »

Caution: the quantity of nutmeg required to experience any psychoactive effects is extremely close to the quantity that kills you.  You'd be hard pressed to find a drug with a greater chance of overdosing.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 01:20:45 am »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:32:17 pm by penguinofhonor »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 08:31:05 am »

psychedelics would have you smelling and hearing the little demon symbols.  OH GOD I CAN TASTE THE FORGOTTEN BEAST EXTRACT...
drunk would result in hilariously bad or nonsensical decisions, followed by "why did i do that?"  Probably result in  cave-ins, floods, or accidently walling off your booze.
high on marijuana would result in incessant giggling over nothing, and/or taking a really long time to do simple designations or read dwarf thoughts.
pcp would have you trying to turn your dog into a dog-bone-bed after bashing it with your computer, then attempting to prepare the delicious dog spleen.
cocaine, caffeine, and marijuana would all likely result in 4+ hour long DF sessions.

Which is quite nice, since I don't believe in drug usage (except for genuine medical purposes).

Yeah, drug usage is an activity, not a faith or something.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Flattermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2012, 08:56:37 am »

Hey I had my best Idea while playing stoned [Idlers:Off] by this stroke of Genius I am no longer slave to my "all must work,all the time" perfectionist mind set.
I am now free to embrace the concept that dwarfs maybe deserve a bit time off in the way of breaks and partys I mean why go through the trouble of make-work when you have something else to do anyway?

I mean what would you prefer?

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2012, 11:31:34 am »

What would be the worst drug to play Dwarf Fortress on?

None
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2012, 04:12:48 pm »

What does raw hashish even mean?  Kief hash?  Oil?
I have never used any kinds of hashish except for the normal spice kind. With that said...

I'm not an expert but hashish can be used simply as some kind of a spice for foods by drying it. But it can be smoked in joints or cooked in foods for the drug effect if it's raw. I don't know anything about the hash oil but I know it can be simply eaten like honey or smoked.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5