Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are PC Sci-Fi games (singleplayer or MMO) that can be played on LAND?  (Read 10136 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As title says...outside of FPS games (lots of Sci-FI FPS games)...what are some Sci-Fi games that can be played on land? I'm more looking at RPGs. Since there is a lot of Sci-Fi strategy games too. For some reason, a lot of MMO/RPG Sci-Fi games are almost always in space. I'm not really talking about Post-Apoc games either, though they can be sort of Sci-Fi. We already have Fallout series for that, which I love (including Fallout 2), but not what I had in mind.

All I know of is...

MMO-
Shores of Hazeron
Anarchy Online (my favorite MMO, even if it is old. Waiting for the graphics update to release)
Saga of Ryzom
Face of Mankind (thanks Klingon13524)

Singleplayer-

Precursors
Mass Effect
Planet's Edge (thanks Virtz)

Roguelikes-

Prospector (thanks Klingon13524)
Gearhead (thanks Virtz)

Other-

Spore (if it lived up to the hype, I would have actually probably still been playing. More about strategy though, except for Cell/Creature stage. I do love the huge open universe and being able to land on every planet and build on it or terraform it)

I'm sure I'm missing a lot. But those are off the top of my head. I can't really think of too many singleplayer Sci-fi RPGs, except what I listed. And Spore isn't really a RPG, but I do kind of like the mechanics of it.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:05:00 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile

Face of Mankind is a Sci-Fi MMOFPS you might want to look into. Prospector is a good Sci-Fi roguelike.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah yeah. Prospector is a good one. Haven't played Face of Mankind yet, but one of my friends was/is really into it.

Added them to the list (with a Roguelike category added)
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you don't mind old stuff, then there's Planet's Edge and the Buck Rogers Gold Box games (Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed).

There's also DoomRL and Gearhead - roguelikes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile

If you don't mind old stuff, then there's Planet's Edge and the Buck Rogers Gold Box games (Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed).

Love the Buck Rogers Gold Box games. But there is a general lack of good sci-fi games out.

We already have Fallout series for that, which I love (including Fallout 2), but not what I had in mind.

What do you mean including Fallout 2? That's the best of the series. It'd make more sense if you said including Fallout: Tactics. Or Fallout:POS BOS...
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*googles LAND*
 ???...why are you trying to launch denial-of-service attacks?

lol. :P Well, since you can't really emphasize things online very easily...I put it there since a lot of Sci-Fi games are in space, and I like to look for more ground based stuff. Maybe ground would have been a better word. :P

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

*googles LAND*
 ???...why are you trying to launch denial-of-service attacks?

lol. :P Well, since you can't really emphasize things online very easily...I put it there since a lot of Sci-Fi games are in space, and I like to look for more ground based stuff. Maybe ground would have been a better word. :P
I am facepalm.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those look pretty cool. I especially like the look of Gearhead. I'll add them to the list.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile

System Shock 2: not on land technically, but an amazing Sci-Fi RPG.
And maybe more Anticipation than Sci-Fi, but there are the Deus Ex games.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AvP :P
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well there is Space Hack and Space Siege.
Both are more of the Hack & Slashy sort tho.
While they DO happen in space it takes place on a huge spaceship.
(Space Hack is a budget version of space siege but it's pretty much the same setting)

Scrapland... not quite a RPG but it partially takes place on land and a robot city (where humans are considered dangerous and disgusting) is grade A Sci-Fi material.

I'm also suprised... that NOONE yet mantioned Deus Ex... surely Cyborgs megacorporations and doomsday weapons should be considered Sci-Fi.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ColdSpiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Greed: Black Border is a SciFi ARPG.
The upcoming KRATER is a party-based ARPG with a Borderlands-ish setting.
Oh, and Borderlands is SciFi, of course.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.

I'm also suprised... that NOONE yet mantioned Deus Ex... surely Cyborgs megacorporations and doomsday weapons should be considered Sci-Fi.

And maybe more Anticipation than Sci-Fi, but there are the Deus Ex games.

Just saying. :P
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Y'know Faces of mankind looks kinda' cool, is there a thread on that?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2