Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are PC Sci-Fi games (singleplayer or MMO) that can be played on LAND?  (Read 10121 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

MMO's: Planetside or Planetside 2 apparently later this year. Knights of the Old Republic MMO might fit what you are looking for as well.

Single player rpg: Knights of the Old Republic 1 + 2.
UFO trilogy particularly aftershock and afterlight. Aftermath is more post-apocalyptic.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile

Face of Mankind, not faces. This is a SciFi game, not an African documentary.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Star Wars Galaxies.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile

The servers for that have been taken down. I suppose you mean Star Wars: the Old Republic.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are still servers out there, pre NGE/CU.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

There are still servers out there, pre NGE/CU.
Last I checked, none of them were actually active though. Just early alpha stuff.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm suprised no-one mentioned Star Trek Online yet. It's kinda cool, you got your own Federation (and Klingon once you hit lvl 24) ship, but you also have an away-team that you can put Bridge Officers into that will go with you when you have things to do on planets.

Well, its a mixt between land and space game, cauz its Star Trek... So its cool if you like Gene Roddenberies' universe.
Don't even have to like it, i was a SW-fanboy and i started playing this cauz a friend pointed it out to me and SW:TOR is p2p and i really got sucked in it.

Might want to check it out, its really cool.
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm suprised no-one mentioned Star Trek Online yet. It's kinda cool, you got your own Federation (and Klingon once you hit lvl 24) ship, but you also have an away-team that you can put Bridge Officers into that will go with you when you have things to do on planets.

Well, its a mixt between land and space game, cauz its Star Trek... So its cool if you like Gene Roddenberies' universe.
Don't even have to like it, i was a SW-fanboy and i started playing this cauz a friend pointed it out to me and SW:TOR is p2p and i really got sucked in it.

Might want to check it out, its really cool.
I'll go ahead and second this. You have a ton of customization potential in this game, from your ship (interior and exterior) to your appearance (and that of your officers). There's also tons of loot and the combat in both space and on the ground is fairly varied, emphasizing getting yourself properly positioned and using the right weapons at the right time.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

I've got some oldies:

Anachronox - released in 2001, it's the newest one of the bunch. A TPP, JRPG-style game using a modified Quake II engine. Graphics might look clunky by modern standards(less so than System Shock 2 though), but the game has fun writing, good voice-acting, inventive locations and a goofy kind of humour.

Albion - a mixture of SF and fantasy, you are a part of an outworld mining copany expedition sent to a new mining site that was supposed to be uninhabited but obviously isn't.
The gameplay is party-based, and split between two modes of exploration: top down and FPP, with grid-based combat.
I simply love the atmosphere in this game, there's something about the art direction that made it feel unique. Might be just my nostalgia speaking though.

Superhero League of Hoboken - it's a post-apoc game, but with a twist. You are Crimson Tape and you have the power to Create Organizational Charts. There's others too, with similarly useful powers, that join you on the mission of fighting for the better tomorrow. Or something.
Gameplay is a mixture of adventure-style problem solving and RPG combat/party management.
Lots of low-brow, but witty, humour.

BloodNet - a cyberpunk vampire story, with varied gameplay(there's an epilepsy-inducing net-surfing part for example) and tactical combat.

Megatraveller 2 - a huge game, in the Daggerfall sense: lots of locations that all look very much the same. Still, there's ground and space combat(the former being something I could never understand), a universe-saving story, and a character generator that is the most fun part of the game. The generator was obviously made to supplement the tabletop RPG system, and lots of results/stats are never used in the computer game, but it's still a ridiculous amount of fun to play with it(it's that career-following kind of generator).

Perihelion: the Prophecy - hailing from the glory days of Amiga, this 32 colour-palette game is an RPG for hardcore fans of the oldschool, and nostalgia-ridden old geezers. Gameplay looks like that of Dungeon Master, albeit with tactical, action points-based combat.
You are a team of genetically-modified hybrids sent to stop what is basically an antichrist.
Quite frankly, the game is not too stellar, but has an unique feel to it that warrants at least a passing acquaintance.

edit: dungeon master, not keeper
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:10:43 pm by Il Palazzo »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Went digging through my games list, found a few more for you to try. All of them are free!

Iji: Science-fiction platformer with lots of action and explosions, but also a surprisingly deep story. Has some RPG mechanics, like upgrading various stats.

Cave Story: Another shooty platformer, tons of secrets to find. Free, but must be translated from Japanese via a patch.

Notrium: Top-down adventure game, takes place on a newly-discovered planet after you crash-land there. Four different characters to play as, each with slightly different mechanics.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has no one spoken for Starcraft?!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Anachronox - released in 2001, it's the newest one of the bunch. A TPP, JRPG-style game using a modified Quake II engine. Graphics might look clunky by modern standards(less so than System Shock 2 though), but the game has fun writing, good voice-acting, inventive locations and a goofy kind of humour.

It also has amazing music.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

I'm missing Space Hulk here, as well as Crusader: No Remorse, X-Com, Dune I (The precursor of the infamous Dune II by Westwood) and the original Syndicate, all of which are RTT or TBT games, so they may fall under the 'No strategy' clause. Battlezone might also be interesting, though that's an RTS/FPS. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic would also qualify. We're also missing the Mechwarior, Starsiege/Tribes and Heavy Gear franchises.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Space Hulk doesn't take place on land O_o
Y'know, because it's a SPACE Hulk? In SPACE?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

I interpreted 'On Land' as 'Not flying around in a space ship'. Space Hulk is played on some sort of solid ground, even if that ground itself is in space.
Pages: 1 [2]