Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Wasteland 2!  (Read 33741 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Wasteland 2!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 09:51:04 am »

*jizz*

*all over the place*

*so much of it*

*the horror*

Looking awesome so far, it reminds me of the first two Fallouts, which is never a bad thing (tho hopefully they'll include an autosave system, lack of one in the Fallouts has driven me rage crazy too many times)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 10:09:52 am »

That does look pretty spiffy, and defiantly a game from the 90s, while using the advantages of today hardware.

Though I think iterating through your squad to use all their skills might get a bit tedious and slow down game play.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 10:41:33 am »

Tell me about hype... now im hyped too.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 11:24:25 am »

That's going to rock.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 12:17:53 pm »

Sweetness.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »

Looking awesome so far, it reminds me of the first two Fallouts, which is never a bad thing (tho hopefully they'll include an autosave system, lack of one in the Fallouts has driven me rage crazy too many times)

Wasteland was first, then came Fallout.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 12:54:02 pm »

I know that, but I was too young to play Wasteland (also that whole recent war fucking up the country deal), so the only point of reference for something like this would be the Fallouts.
AS - IG

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »

"Oh my god, they're breaking through the door!* *BZZZZZZ* What a cliché :P

Looking good, but I wonder why developers don't use the real-time & pause mode more often (as in Baldur's Gate).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 03:19:17 pm »

Because that mode is an abominaton that kills any and all immersion and is incredibly annoying to use :P
AS - IG

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 03:26:52 pm »

Definitely liking how this is shaping up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 04:04:30 pm »

That does look pretty spiffy, and defiantly a game from the 90s, while using the advantages of today hardware.

Though I think iterating through your squad to use all their skills might get a bit tedious and slow down game play.

I had this thought too, but then I realized. We haven't been shown character screens and information. Knowing that a lock is hard difficulty for your sniper with Lockpicking 40 is going to inform you, naturally, that your guy with Lockpicking 10 doesn't stand a chance. What he was doing was for demonstration purposes. You'll know your own characters' strengths and weaknesses.

I liked the custom character portraits a lot. A very nice touch.

I didn't back but I'll be more than happy to pay regular price if things continue to turn out that awesome.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 04:15:54 pm »

Because that mode is an abominaton that kills any and all immersion and is incredibly annoying to use :P
Personally, i preferred the real time mode in both fallout tactics and x-com apoc(feels related) because i like to react immediately rather than seeing an enemy appearing, run up to my guys and shoot them in the face.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 04:49:18 pm »

I had this thought too, but then I realized. We haven't been shown character screens and information. Knowing that a lock is hard difficulty for your sniper with Lockpicking 40 is going to inform you, naturally, that your guy with Lockpicking 10 doesn't stand a chance. What he was doing was for demonstration purposes. You'll know your own characters' strengths and weaknesses.

I liked the custom character portraits a lot. A very nice touch.

I didn't back but I'll be more than happy to pay regular price if things continue to turn out that awesome.
You're still going to to miss click, and thats going to be fucking annoying, like it always is.

So why not just have have skills automatically have the best person do the thing. If there two person of the same skill, then closet person, or the best skilled person who isnt already doing a verb.

You should still have the ability to explicitly have someone do a skill they arent the best at, but by defualt the game can and should be smart enough to do that paper work for you.

When other games have had this, it doesnt seem to serve any purpose, other then to make sure that you're engaged or something.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 04:58:06 pm »

I can't recall, did they say skills get better with use? That would probably be a reason informing the design. But I do agree, if you have everyone selected, it should probably just use the character with the highest skill.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 05:03:47 pm »

Immersion & convenience were the exact reasons why I was wondering. :D

- Good flow. When you encounter an enemy, the game doesn't suddenly change into a chess game. Instead it flows smoothly as everyone takes action at a same time.
- Action point management. "Dang! I need 57 action points to reload and I have only 56! I shall stand still for half a minute, THEN reload!" or the unnecessary calculation of action points just to make sure you'll have enough to turn around and crouch behind cover. Kills immersion and is far from convenient.
- Flexibility. As situation changes, you can make instant decisions and plan changes. Immersive and convenient!

As Ivefan said, Fallout Tactics nailed it. Too bad rest of the game was shit. Edit: Except now that I think about it, I don't think it had a pause.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:14:53 pm by Hiiri »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13