Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Evil Genius 2! EVIL HARDER! Turn 21 now up!  (Read 46460 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil Genius 2! EVIL HARDER! Turn 21 now up!
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:32:02 am »

You (may have) READ IT! You (may have) LIKED IT!! (some of) You even demanded its return!

Thats right, its my evil genius game! Now with updated rules. This! IS a turn based strategy game.

The Gist of things!
You! Take command of an evil organization based around specific archetypes (these archetypes are not set in stone, and others can be added with sufficient explanation).
You! Receive a number of minions, cash, and 'resources' (the catchall everything else resource).
Actions are laid out for the week, For example, You may send 5 of your minions to steal cash. Or have some guard the base. Or have your scientists do research. Any minion can do any task they're rated for, and nothing else. 1 task per minion, per week. As many tasks as you like though. Divvy em up, clump em together.

I will roll dice to determine the success bracket for things undertaken by your minions (ranging from Dismal Failure, Failure, Slight Success, Success, Incredible Success).

The Archetypes!
The Mad Scientist
"They said I WAS MAD! BUT I'LL SHOW THEM ALL!"
Starting Traits:
  Unique: Choose Between: Eureka (Eliminates the lower range when unlocking new tech. (Instead of a -1,0,+1 bracket, unlock in a 0, +1 bracket). Or Reckless Ambition Your research proceeds faster, But you have a higher chance of causing accidents.
  General: None to begin.
You begin with 1 Scientist (Research, Enhance Base), 4 Regulars(General Mayhem, Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding)

The Mob Boss
"Make them an offer they cannot refuse."
Starting Traits:
  Unique: Choice between: Criminal Empire (2 starting Extortions (+$500 cash/week per), Extortions draw less heat. Or Practiced Criminal (All stealing missions operate one bracket higher)
You begin with 1 Thug, (General Mayhem/Cash Raising/Plotting, Guarding, Extortion), 4 Regulars(See Above)

The Cult Leader
"Dont drink the Kool-Aid."
Starting Traits:
  Unique: Choice between Cult of Personality +2 minion cap. or Indoctrination Your minions are far less likely to betray your plans or location if captured
You begin with 5 Regulars (See Above)

The Layabout Playboy
"I say, Lets be bad guys."
Starting Traits:
  Unique: Choice between : Outside Investors Instead go to 3x regular starting cash/resources, Small chance of additional funding. Or Legal Eagles They might track you down, but you are far more difficult to directly target by the Forces of Justice.
You begin with 5 Regulars (See Above)
You begin with 2x the regular starting cash/resources

The Mastermind
"Their every move makes my victory more complete"
Starting Traits:
  Unique: Choice Between Man With a Plan Your minions will succeed more often at plotting attempts thanks to your guidance. Or Contingency Planning Your minions will do better within plotted missions.
You begin with 5 Regulars
You begin with 1.5x the regular starting cash/resources

The Spider
"I'll be waiting for you."
Starting Traits:
  Unique: Choice Between : Lie in Wait Your base is prepared for the worst, and you gain a defensive bonus. or Patient Hunter You are more likely to manage to capture your opponents.
You begin with 5 Regulars
You begin with 1.5x the regular starting cash/resources
-----

But whats this I hear you say? What else do I start with?
(Regular Starting Resources, please multiply appropriately if your archetype has more)
$5,000 in starting Cash.
100 Starting Resources.
Notoriety of 0 (Notoriety is a basic indicator of how badly the Forces of Justice wish to bring you down for your nefarious deeds. All your deeds will raise notoriety, if they're even remotely visible to the public. More Notoriety will increase your minion cap, and allow you access to more Henchmen.
Minion Cap of 5 (Unless Cult Leader with CoP)

A Lair: Your choice of something low-profile and basic. A warehouse? Acreage mansion? You tell me!

A Minion (Tier 0) costs $100 per, to recruit.
All Tier 1 Minions (Thug, Scientist, Guard, Technician, Possibly 1 or 2 more types. Im still thinking.) cost $400 to recruit, but can be trained later on.
------------------
Minion Jobs
Regular : General Mayhem, Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding

Tier 1 Minions
Scientist: Enhance Base, Research
Thug: General Mayhem, Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding, Extortion
Technician: General Mayhem, Enhance Base 2(2 Minion Weeks of labor at a time)
Guard: Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding

Tier 2 minions must be captured or Trained.
Spies:  General Mayhem, Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding, Infiltrate
Bruisers: General Mayhem, Cash Raising,Plotting, Guarding, Extortion
Reporters: General Mayhem, Plotting, Smear
Saboteurs: General Mayhem, Enhance Base (2), Sabotage

Infiltrate gives you a small chance to infiltrate other organizations, Or Forces of Justice, or even possibly used as a precursor to Plotted missions, to give a slight boost to that mission.
Smear missions give a chance at redirecting slight amounts of Notoriety gain from missions you're doing, onto other factions. The backlash from this could be heavy, as I doubt the Forces of Justice would appreciate being duped.
Sabotage missions are used to damage or destroy rooms/upgrades in EG bases, or cripple the Forces of Justice.

Any and all Minions can be sent on plotted missions.
----------------
The Research
Now admittedly, I've been running this game for awhile in other ways and I have a few gaps in the tech tree. Assistance there would be helpful. If something seems like an obvious addition, tell me and we'll slot it in.

Fields:
Tier 1
Physics,Chemistry, Biology
Tier 2
Robotics, Botany, Psychology
Tier 3
Aerospace Engineering

Further? Yes.

Tier 1 fields are public domain and can be researched by anyone. Anything T2 and beyond will be unlocked as you become more notorious.

Research is handled by specifying a field, and a direction (if you like). A field, is Biology, Chemistry, Physics, So on. A Direction is Offense, Defense or Support.

Promotion
A minion may be promoted to a Henchman (1) and his talents will lie in the general direction of his most unique job.
Assuming of course you have a slot open for one!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:47:00 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Genius 2! EVIL HARDER!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:33:22 am »

(This space intentionally reserved for rules based stuff.)

Changing Bases
Changing bases, is an important thing when your location is known, and you want to avoid sabotage or retribution. You can also move your Base to gain small bonuses that might be applicable based on where you're moving to.
This could get a bit murky, but what the hell. The base movement time is 15 M/W of labor, and any Minion type can add their labor value (Base 1, modified by the Enhance Base job)here. This is to move directly to another Base with no bonuses. Better bonuses to the base, more time.

Base Enhancements (Known)
X Minion/Weeks means it takes that many weeks of labor from minions to construct. So a 1 Minion/Week enhancement would be finished by 1 minion, in one week(turn) 5M/W would take 5 minions 1 week, or 1 minion 5 weeks.

Training Room: 100 Resources, 1 Minion/Week to build.
Trains Regulars into Thugs, 1 Thug/Bruiser to train 1 Regular, Takes 1 week.
Trains Regulars into Guards, 1 Guard to train 1 Regular, Takes 1 week.
Trains Regulars into Spies, 1 Spy to train 1 Regular, Takes 2 weeks
Trains Thugs into Bruisers, 1 Bruiser to Train 1 Thug, Takes 1 week
Trains Regs into Reporters, 1 Reporter to train 1 Reg, Takes 2 weeks.

Laboratory : 100 Resources,  1 Minion/Week to build
Trains Regulars into Scientists, 1 Sci to train 1 Regular, Takes 1 week.
-Laboratory Upgrades
  -Containment Chamber (Reduces the impact of a Biology research critical failure) 40 Resources, 2 Minion/Weeks.
  -Blast Chamber (Reduces the impact of a Physics research critical failure ) 40 Resources, 2 Minion/Weeks.
  -Reinforced Reaction Chamber (Reduces the impact of a Chemistry Research critical failure) 40 Resources, 2 Minion/Weeks.
  -Environment Simulator: Gives a bonus to Biology research. Gives all mission rolls a slight improvement. 75 Resources, 4 Minion/Weeks.
  -Centrifuge : Gives a bonus to Physics Research. Required to train Pilots. 75 Resources, 4 Minion/Weeks.
  -Simulation Supercomputer: Gives a bonus to Chemistry Research. Gives a small bonus to plotting missions. 75 Resources, 4 Minion/Weeks.

Workshop: 100 Resources, 1 Minion/Week to build.
Trains Regulars into Technicians. 1 Technician to Train 1 Regular, Takes 1 Week.
Trains Technicians into Saboteurs, 1 Saboteur to train 1 Tech, Takes 1 Week.

Holding Cells: Required to contain more than 2 Minion captures (for training, or from other EG's), Or to do Kidnap missions. 20 Resources, 1 Minion/Week.
-Potential Upgrades? ! Yes.

Room Reinforcing (This room is now less likely to be damaged by sabotage or accident.) 5 R 1 Minion/Week.

Secure Vault: $3000, Legitimate Purchase (0 M / W)
Protects some of your cash from thievery.
Storage Lockers: $1250, Legitimate purchase (0 M/W)
Stores your gear neatly in the base. Thus preventing it from being stolen as easily, or used against your minions (without a minion being knocked out for his gear(And jumpsuit)).

Traps!
Traps are defensive installations created to protect your base from interlopers. Their portability is usually quite high, allowing you to bring them with you if you are forced to leave the base quickly.
Traps are (at this stage) 'Legitimate' Purchases. As you can probably build them from simple items purchased innocently. However many traps might be unlocked via Research. Such breakthroughs will likely occur at different times than 'regular' breakthroughs.
So without further ado, Lets get us some traps!

Lockdown Devices: 5 R/$250 0 M/W - A sliding portcullis sort of thing that seals off sections of your base thus trapping minions or interlopers until the breach can be addressed.
Pit Traps: 5 R/$250 0 M/W - A practical staple is the old carefully designed pit trap. Not responsible for death or injury resulting from carelessness.

Gas Traps: 10R/$500 0 M/W - Loaded with your preference of gas. May be fatal to minions.

Swinging Blade Traps: 10R/$500 0 M/W - Of course if you don't -care- about apprehending intruders...
Crushing Wall Traps: 10R/$500 0 M/W - I think you get the picture here.

Payload Devices: Research Unlock Required.
A Payload Device is the first stage of your dominion or destruction of the world. By constructing a Payload Device (and possibly giving me information on what you want it to be called/what you want it to be, so on) you enable the deployment of your Doomsday Device.
Try to keep the payload device you build related to the field you can build it in. But hey, creativity is fine.

Cash into Resources and Vice Versa
The current formula is $1,000 into 20 Resources, or vice versa.

Notoriety Break Points
00 Notoriety: 05 Minion Cap
25 Notoriety: 10 Minion Cap
50 Notoriety: 15 Minion Cap
100 Notoriety: 20 Minion Cap
175 Notoriety: 25 Minion Cap
250 Notoriety: 30 Minion Cap

Henchmen Allowances
30 Notoriety : 1 Henchman
150 Notoriety: 2 Henchmen.

Current Traits and their Advancements
{Error, System Information Lost]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:36:05 am by Terenos »

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:37:54 am »

Tchao Tze Ping the mob boss of the whistling zephyr returns.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:35 am »

That didnt take long

Seriously, 5 mins...that's all i have to say
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:50:28 am by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:47:44 am »

Oh right I forgot to mention, we're actually limiting this to 5-6 players this time. Seriously.

And if you were on the previous waitlist, you have first dibs in available slots!

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:54:22 am »

And if you were on the previous waitlist, you have first dibs in available slots!

Previous Game's Wait List:
------------
HailFire(Dr. Adara Moss, TEMPEST Laboratories)
Hitty40("G", KAK)
Riversand(Jier Sunrender, Gensys Inc.)
Thunderclan(Zieg, To Be Decided)
magmaholic(Mr Orange, vitamint bomb)
Lemon10 (Frank Alio, FOR SCIENCE!)

Current Wait List Provided the Above duck out:
-------------
RulerOfNothing
IronyOwl
Ultimuh
Happery
Hastur
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:22:28 am by CyberGenesis »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 01:11:54 am »

I would like to put myself on the queue for player slots in this game.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 01:19:26 am »

Damn it! Reserving a spot if there are any, else onto the waitlist with me.

I can tell this should be good because there's like four archetypes I really want.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 01:21:04 am »

Posting to watch, and potentially jeer on the sods who THINK they can be an EVIL GENIUS!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 02:02:25 am »

It would have revolutionized the world as we know it. The only thing is, the world as we know it doesn't take kindly to revolutions.

Doctor Adara I. Moss was a prodigy at the bleeding edge of modern science and technology, following in the footsteps of her recently-deceased father, researching and developing modern marvels for the betterment of mankind; unfortunately, just as she'd inherited her father's work, his modest fortune, and his summer mansion in the Ass-End of Nowhere, UK, she also inherited his enemies-- he had made a discovery that was seen by the established governing, corporate, and criminal power structures as 'too dangerous', a 'threat to national security', and so forth, and when he wouldn't back down, they put him down, as she would later discover.

It would have revolutionized the world as we know it, and they stood to lose too much for it to ever see the light of day.

The pressure started with bribes and threats, and escalated to marginalization, discreditation, and ultimately social and financial ruin. But she persevered- this was her life's work, by damn, and while the establishment remained static, Science marched on, she reasoned; change was inevitable, and they'd just have to adapt and deal with it-- so, as before, when she wouldn't yield, they arranged for her to have an 'unfortunate accident'.

Unfortunately for them, she survived. Paralyzed from the waist down, watching her laboratory and life's work burning to ashes around her, she swore vengeance on the world, even as her aide carried her to safety: if she couldn't change the vile and corrupt status quo, she'd tear it down, brick by brick, and rebuild the world anew!

Dr. Moss- now branded a "Mad Scientist"- is currently laying low; the newly-founded Technological EMancipation Project for the Establishment of a Saner Tomorrow currently consisting of her fellow scientist, four hired workers, and a modest pile of disposable income ($5000) and resources (100), awaiting that eureka moment where they can recover what was lost.

After all, the birthing process is painful for any thing- even a new, enlightened society.

It will revolutionize the world as we know it, whether they like it or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you might've been able to tell, I've been waiting eagerly for so long for this to start up again! I look forward to mercilessly annihilating meeting and greeting the brazen fools who dare stand in my way my competitors in the field! :P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:19:32 am by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 02:20:02 am »

Perhaps.. I could last till the end this time?
Wait.. oh nevermind.. wait list is a bit long.. Put me in the new wait list.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 03:06:22 am »

So, I know this is kind of cheating, but could you explain what, in general, the differences between someone with Eureka and Reckless Ambition would be? I'm not entirely clear on Eureka, but I guess it's trying to say you research higher-tier techs more often? I'm pretty clear on Reckless Ambition, but I'm wondering how more advanced techs would compare to faster techs with more collateral (assuming that's even the comparison), especially since I have no idea of the numbers or processes involved.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 03:24:05 am »

So, I know this is kind of cheating, but could you explain what, in general, the differences between someone with Eureka and Reckless Ambition would be? I'm not entirely clear on Eureka, but I guess it's trying to say you research higher-tier techs more often? I'm pretty clear on Reckless Ambition, but I'm wondering how more advanced techs would compare to faster techs with more collateral (assuming that's even the comparison), especially since I have no idea of the numbers or processes involved.

Eureka basically ensures constant forward progress whereas without it you might possibly learn a schematic or something of a lower bracket. Instead of learning to build a giant death ray, you might learn something pitiful you possibly could have (and likely wished you had) several breakthroughs earlier
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:28:27 am by CyberGenesis »

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 04:13:32 am »

In effect, CG's got it. Let me see if I can explain further. Every tech has a 'tier' more or less. As your research becomes more developed, you're going to be making more complex things.

Since there is some variance in what you acquire at each unlock point, Eureka gives you the ability to control where your variance lies. It cuts your range to tech at the level you're at, or above. The downside is, that if you miss something you want you'll have to barter for it. Take heart, theres multiple unlock points at each tier so you do have a few chances to get everything before you move beyond that tier.

Effectively for the Mad Scientist, its a choice between faster tech and more reliably awesome tech. Speeding down a potentially curvy road or taking the straight highway and never looking back.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 04:34:47 am »

I see.

Next question then: How useful are lesser techs likely to be, both in and out of your primary discipline? If you already know how to construct hyperdeathrays and then research Improved But Not Hyper Deathrays, is that likely to be another tool in your arsenal or something you just don't have any use for? What if you discovered a basic Chemistry tech instead?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18