Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your *First* "Fun" Moment  (Read 10541 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Your *First* "Fun" Moment
« on: April 17, 2012, 05:04:30 am »

The topic name speaks for itself, what was your first experience of complete and total FUN of a fortress?

My first time was embarking in the ancient v23 of DF. I spent my first few games fumbling around with the controls and dying to elephants on my second non-abandoned fort. But after I found out how to dig into the mountain, I was ajoy. Skip to about five minutes later and reading the wiki much more, I managed to reach the river and almost lost my original miner.

Now, this is where I thought 'Hey, I can just use this river as a moat, right?' And I quickly dug a 1-tile corridor to make the 'channel' I assumed would do the moat job. I managed to build the channel, killing a miner because I started from the LEFT going to the right. I attach a floodgate randomly to a piece of the channel which reached outside, but realize it's a bas position for some reason and decide to remove it.

Queue water flooding the whole world because the destroyed floodgate 'released' the water held in the channel. Goddamnit. *Abandons* I had just read Boatmurdered before that and now knew the meaning of 'fucking the world.' Albeit with more soggy doom than fire. I doubt I was the only one to have this happen as well! Magma/Water physics were highly dangerous before real pressures were implemented.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
Re: Your *First* "Fun" Moment
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:20:40 am »

I dug out a lake to make some farmable land like the beginner's guide I was reading told me to do. Flooded my whole entrance so I decided to try and live on the surface and then I got harassed by the local wildlife.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:22:54 am by xdarkcodex »
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 05:38:16 am »

When I realized that being unable to build walls on the edge of the map did not mean enemies couldn't arrive from that point.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:18:41 am »

My first truly fun moment was when a glass forgotten beast sneaked into my fortress and my military was unable to kill it (too early). I ended up sealing the part of the living quarters it was in (1/3rd of the level) and sending a human caravan in there :P
<3

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:22:00 am »

I was following this tutorial on youtube when I started to play. Too bad that my first ambush happened before the tutorial had teached me about militia. It totally destroyed me.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:39:09 am »

When I was playing the game for an undisclosed amount of time then suddenly realized how to change the Z axis.

Crandal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:28:25 am »

When a Dwarf dropped a pillar off a badly designated bridge side into my moat, piercing the moat and draining into my mines, almost immediately afterwards, four goblin ambushes were spotted and rushed to the fort.  They found the exit closed, but a good amount ended up getting washed into my mines which slowly filled up.

Then I just decided fuck it and dropped an entire tower on them.

Everyone died.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 08:30:50 am »

Truly fun ? My first and only fell mood, due to two stage tantrum spiral.

I think it was in DF2010, in a quite large fortress, I was only going to start thinking about my military when a few gobbo soldiers sneak past the doors and start killing people.

Cue tantrum spiral. The goblins got killed by miner militia and wardogs, but most of my dwarves were unhappy. Miasma, corpses, etc, tantrums, the usual fun.

Then a fell mood happened, I could not help but laugh maniacally. I think the dwarf made a nice dwarf bone throne.

As I was struggling to stop the tantrums, another thing happened, I don't remember what it was but it spelt doom for my fortress. It was so ridiculous that I just decided to let the fortress die.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:58:26 am »

Water pressure!
Fun came to be when I decided I wanted to create an undeground reservoir with well fed by a river several z levels above the location of the fortress.
The entire fortress flooded as sure as I was entirely oblivious to how water pressure worked.
I distinctly remember locking all ways out of the fortress shut to ensure the dwarves would go down with it!

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 10:07:21 am »

I was making some sort of massive and over complicated cistern at the top of my fortress. This fortress was suspended over a massive river. An unfortunate dissembling of blocks dropped one piece of wall. It fell the 20 levels through the cistern, out the bottom, through my dining room, the military training room, a few hallways, and somehow my Dungeon Master's bed while he was in it. Then the water came in.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 11:36:22 am »

Well, my first fortress (40d) was a pretty big success.  My biggest Fun moments came when I found out the quirks of channeling when I was trying to set up my "above-ground" farms by channeling away the roof over the chunk of soil layer I wanted my farm to have, and then repeatedly having strange dwarven channeling order repeatedly cause cave-ins, which killed a couple random dwarves. 

Easily half my deaths that fortress were due to cave-ins from just constructing or channeling things in the wrong order.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 01:15:55 pm »

This thread from 4 years ago when I first started playing DF.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15930.90
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 01:24:31 pm »

I dug out a niiiice place. Was really fancy. Just about to haul all the stuff into the storage and...
A BUCKLER HAS BEEN STOLEN
Meh, I can just make another.
A ROPE HAS BEEN STOLEN
Fuu no cloth industry yet.

Season or two later, I just hauled all the stuff inside, and was planning out my dorms. (Which first looked like a male reproductive organ, so then, by trying to make it not resemble it, I accidentally made it look like the female reproductive system.)

AN AMBUSH, CURSE THEM
A THIEF, PROTECT THE HORDE
A THIEF, PROTECT THE HORDE

I immediately sent my two man militia out there to beat them with their fists a bit.

THE MILITIA HAS BEEN STRUCK DOWN

Thankfully, it wasn't the C.M.D.'s husband, but the other guy. The blacksmith then dives into a puddle of water and drowns trying to get away from a kobold. (Good thing the metal industry wasn't set up and he was low skilled enough to be replaced easily)

Then a caravan arrived and saved the day.

Though I'm still due on the rest of this, I can tell there will be repercussions to their loss. They're just waiting until I mess up again to react to it.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »

In the beginning there were dwarves and wolves. In the end there were only wolves. I learned the lesson of using a front door early.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 02:39:50 pm »

Berserk Dwarf.
 :-[
Pages: [1] 2 3 4