Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux Users?  (Read 559 times)

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Linux Users?
« on: May 11, 2012, 07:11:29 pm »

I almost posted this yesterday, but I decided to wait. Anyway, who here runs DF on Linux (either Native or through WINE)?

Obviously, I run it via Linux, but I wanted to see if anybody else did too. Humor me.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Users?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:19:05 pm »

There is no reason to run it under wine, it works perfectly natively as long as you have a 32 bit user space.

I ran it on Linux for a while but the lack of tools made me go back to Windows. And I have all of my games there anyway.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:24:57 pm »

Nope, you're the only person using it on Linux. Toady releases a Linux version just for you.

Or maybe not. I used to keep a USB key with both Linux and Windows binaries, using the same save directory so I could switch back and forth. But I got tired of saves taking forever because of the slowness of the USB key. So now I stick to just my Windows machine.

I'm not sure what tools CodexDraco is missing. I had both dfhack and dwarf therapist working on Linux. The only thing I was missing was the legends viewer. I suspect that could be persuaded to work under wine.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:51:03 pm »

I run it under Linux. Specifically #! and FC16.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:08:16 am »

I'm not sure what tools CodexDraco is missing.
Dwarf Therapist specifically. Although it works, it doesn't work very well. In particular sorting by migration wave and checking which units are on the military. My guess it's because I'm using a tileset or I'm using a 64 bits system, no idea and honestly I don't care about debugging it for hours.

DFHack works nicely though. Linux Term >> Windows "Term".

Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

DwarfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 02:47:23 am »

Nope, you're the only person using it on Linux. Toady releases a Linux version just for you.

I didn't know that. I assumed that there were other people using the Linux buld as well. It's always nice to learn something new!!!

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 06:39:10 am »

Yes.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 11:53:08 am »

I tried the linux version because I liked the idea of leaving the fort running on my linux box and sshing to it. I gave up because linux therapist can't nickname and dfhack doesn't work with PRINT_MODE:TEXT anyway.

Now if windows had PRINT_MODE:TEXT...