Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469523 times)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 10:32:31 pm »

My neighbors are from Ethiopia and they invited my family over for dinner once. The food was very unusual to me, but it tasted pretty good. 
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 11:14:18 pm »

Anyone have any suggestions for good salt and vinegar potato chips?  The only ones that I like are the Tim's ones.  All the others just taste like vinegar flavoring or have the wrong salt / vinegar ratio.

If you aren't familiar with Tim's, they're very thick crunchy kettle chips fried in peanut oil.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 05:13:57 am »

This wine called Jason's Creek or somethin'... It tastes like apples despite being 100% grape o_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 07:17:31 am »

This wine called Jason's Creek or somethin'... It tastes like apples despite being 100% grape o_o

Pure 100% grape... OR IS IT?!?

Jason's creek is peeeeeople
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 07:49:13 am »

I think they mean Jacob's Creek.  It's fairly cheap Australian wine, but definitely my favourite in the sub £50 a bottle range, even though they're only around £6-7.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 07:54:12 am »

Just made a homemade salsa for dinner, it was chillies, tomatoes and a red capsicum from my uncle's garden, half an onion, some ginger, garlic and a few handfuls of fresh coriander, basil, mint and parsley. Oh, also a twist of black pepper, a dash of lime juice and a splash of balsamic. Delicious with warm bread :P

Also, I made some marmalade recently; Lemon, lime and bitters (yes, as in the drink) flavour. Turned out okay, but I added a bit too much of the bitters (the recipe I had was for lemon and lime marmalade only) so it has a somewhat bitter bite at the end.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:56:04 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 08:18:50 am »

Just finished nomming a Bojangles' cajun chicken biscuit. Fried chicken and any kind of fluffy bread-type stuff is a good call. Chicken and biscuits, chicken and waffles, chicken and pancakes...one of the most scrumptious breakfast dishes I ever had was a nice big boneless chicken breast, pounded flat, breaded and fried, and served between two waffles with maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar.

Spoiler: Something like this. (click to show/hide)

EDIT: OH GOD...i just noticed the one in the picture has bacon as well.....*drooooool*

Rather than list favorite dishes (which could go on for pages), I thought I'd list a couple of my favorite spices: Curry powder and cumin. I will put those on damn near everything. When I was in undergrad, there was a funky little restaurant just off campus that had a Moroccan curried tuna sandwich that was to die for. Ever since, I've been sold on curried tuna. Also quite partial to currywurst (bratwurst with chili sauce and curry powder).

As for cumin, it typically sees a lot of mileage in Mexican cuisine *but* it's also a common seasoning in northeast China, where the population has a lot of cultural ties to the steppes. The Hui, Uighurs and Mongols are known for their cumin-laden roast lamb dishes, and they're soooooo mouth-wateringly good. Be it chuanr skewers roasted over a pile of coals or stir-fried lamb with cumin and chilies or giant hunks of marinated leg of lamb served with giant lamian noodles, it's all good. To be honest, IMHO all the best Chinese food is in the west, either southwest (Sichuan) or northwest (Qinghai, Gansu, Xinjiang). So much spice and flavors, and not so much "Hey, that thing didn't swim fast enough to get away. Let's see if it's edible" as in the east. xD
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:20:48 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 08:26:57 am »

I'm having pierogis with sauerkraut and mushrooms now.

The mushrooms being mostly... well. As far as I know, in Poland, we have different name for almost every mushroom, whilst in English, they are just 'mushrooms' and/or use latin names. Chantrelles, though, as well as few other forest ones. Said pierogis were made almost a year ago, during mushroom season, and frozen. They are still wonderfully tasty. Sauerkraut was sadly bought, not homemade (my mom lacks proper limeware, not to mention a barrel :c)

Also, I will be having some (of course housemade) blackberry jam on bread today.

Simple homemade food is best food.

For example, beetroot soup my mom makes (half of the year we have soups in my house, often seasonal because fresh vegetables > anything else) is the best. She uses special 'enhancer' which I sadly cannot divulge without permission. Family secret guys :P

PS: I like how 1/10 of food items in my country doesn't even have proper english name :P
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:32:18 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 08:30:36 am »

Just finished nomming a Bojangles' cajun chicken biscuit. Fried chicken and any kind of fluffy bread-type stuff is a good call. Chicken and biscuits, chicken and waffles, chicken and pancakes...one of the most scrumptious breakfast dishes I ever had was a nice big boneless chicken breast, pounded flat, breaded and fried, and served between two waffles with maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar.

EDIT: OH GOD...i just noticed the one in the picture has bacon as well.....*drooooool*

Rather than list favorite dishes (which could go on for pages), I thought I'd list a couple of my favorite spices: Curry powder and cumin. I will put those on damn near everything. When I was in undergrad, there was a funky little restaurant just off campus that had a Moroccan curried tuna sandwich that was to die for. Ever since, I've been sold on curried tuna. Also quite partial to currywurst (bratwurst with chili sauce and curry powder).

As for cumin, it typically sees a lot of mileage in Mexican cuisine *but* it's also a common seasoning in northeast China, where the population has a lot of cultural ties to the steppes. The Hui, Uighurs and Mongols are known for their cumin-laden roast lamb dishes, and they're soooooo mouth-wateringly good. Be it chuanr skewers roasted over a pile of coals or stir-fried lamb with cumin and chilies or giant hunks of marinated leg of lamb served with giant lamian noodles, it's all good. To be honest, IMHO all the best Chinese food is in the west, either southwest (Sichuan) or northwest (Qinghai, Gansu, Xinjiang). So much spice and flavors, and not so much "Hey, that thing didn't swim fast enough to get away. Let's see if it's edible" as in the east. xD

If you ask me, mixing Curry Powder in meatballs makes it three times better than ordinary ones, despite looking sickly yellow if you put alot of it or if you don't mix it well.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 08:50:07 am »

I'm having pierogis with sauerkraut and mushrooms now.

<3 cheese and potato pierogi. So much.

Anyway, anyone know any good spice rubs or sauces for meats from less common cuisines, like the aforementioned Ethiopian or Mongolian? I love spicy foods like Indian, Mexican and Thai, but I'm looking for something a bit different to my usual fare.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 09:05:01 am »

If you ask me, mixing Curry Powder in meatballs makes it three times better than ordinary ones, despite looking sickly yellow if you put alot of it or if you don't mix it well.

You will take back your shameful attack on turmeric this instant, young man.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:23 am »

I just have to say that I love grilled eel. That is all.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 09:23:47 am »

If you ask me, mixing Curry Powder in meatballs makes it three times better than ordinary ones, despite [DATA EXPUNGED]

You will take back your shameful attack on turmeric this instant, young man.

Fine, there you go. Enjoy your warm cup of [DATA EXPUNGED]
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 09:58:33 am »

To the above, got a similar recipe that has gone down well multiple times now and is very simple.
Spoiler: "Thai" Pork Patties (click to show/hide)
I also have enjoyed great success with this ribs recipe. Very simple and wonderful smells while cooking. The eggs are highly recommended. Alternative ribs include this barbecue recipe, which is one of the quickest and simplest methods that will still return deliciousness.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 10:02:34 am »

I misread the title as "Foot thread" and came here looking for feet.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 333