Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477348 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3840 on: August 16, 2017, 04:49:07 pm »

I assume some kind of fried ground-up potato, what we'd call hashbrowns.  Though the French one sorta looks like an oatmeal cookie, or especially thick blob of oatmeal.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: August 20, 2017, 11:35:42 am »

I must ask, how do you manage to cook a fried breakfast every morning without getting out of the bed at 5:00?

It looks like you'll need to use at least two to three pans (one for bacon, sausage and eggs, one for beans, one for tomatoes and other veggies), not to mention the difficulty of timing everything's cooking so you end up with everything equally warm.

I usually go for what I call the "Student Breakfast": coffee, foamy milk, a couple cookies and maybe some rusks&jam.
When I try to make a somewhat more consistent breakfast with pancakes, eggs and what probably is not really bacon, I end up needing at least one hour just for that, so what is your british/american secret?

Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: August 20, 2017, 12:19:03 pm »

Careful, the EU might sue you for calling something a student breakfast that doesn't have at least 4% student in it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3843 on: August 20, 2017, 12:25:48 pm »

I must ask, how do you manage to cook a fried breakfast every morning without getting out of the bed at 5:00?

It looks like you'll need to use at least two to three pans (one for bacon, sausage and eggs, one for beans, one for tomatoes and other veggies), not to mention the difficulty of timing everything's cooking so you end up with everything equally warm.

I usually go for what I call the "Student Breakfast": coffee, foamy milk, a couple cookies and maybe some rusks&jam.
When I try to make a somewhat more consistent breakfast with pancakes, eggs and what probably is not really bacon, I end up needing at least one hour just for that, so what is your british/american secret?

..."More than one pan?"

To make a big breakfast like this, I throw in any meat/potatoes, then add veggies when they're close to done, then toss in the eggs last, beans at the same time, since both cook up quickly. I admit I use a separate pot for beans when I cook them, but the whole thing only takes about 15 minutes to prepare, really.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: August 20, 2017, 12:31:40 pm »

We Dutch have exquisitly boring breakfast and lunch. Just bread with toppings, with coffee / tea / milk / juice. Maybe some eggs or a tosti. Actual cooking is a dinner only thing over here for most people.
Breakfast cereals are popular too. Bad habit. Way too much sugar.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3845 on: August 20, 2017, 12:35:29 pm »

My version of a fried breakfast would be eggs, bacon, and maybe a tomato with toast, which is really easy - bacon in pan, cook, shuffle aside, egg in pan, possibly tomato in pan, cook, toss onto concurrently made toast, about fifteen minutes.

In practice I just eat a bowl of oats or protein cereal depending on the weather and my mood.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: August 20, 2017, 12:48:21 pm »

Midwest breakfast usually involves eggs, potato hash browns, sausage and toast; usually with butter or a homemade jam. It works for me!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: August 20, 2017, 12:52:37 pm »

I just grab a breakfast bar or something, because I have maybe ten minutes to get ready in the morning :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: August 20, 2017, 01:06:54 pm »

I eat nails for breakfast, without any milk.
××××××××××××××××××

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: August 20, 2017, 09:12:35 pm »

Given how much added iron they put in "healthy" cereals, that might actually be a correct statement.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: August 22, 2017, 02:59:57 pm »

..."More than one pan?"

To make a big breakfast like this, I throw in any meat/potatoes, then add veggies when they're close to done, then toss in the eggs last, beans at the same time, since both cook up quickly. I admit I use a separate pot for beans when I cook them, but the whole thing only takes about 15 minutes to prepare, really.

When I retire, I'm going to eat that for breakfast everyday. 

Except I'll pull the stems off the tomato first, because I'm not a savage.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: August 22, 2017, 03:07:08 pm »

You'll hate cleaning and constantly seasoning a cast iron pan. Fucking love those things for omelets though.
Looks like one would fry the items then put in the oven after.
The eggs are unevenly cooked too classic white people
××××××××××××××××××

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: September 12, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »

I made gravlax for the first time today (or rather, it finished curing today) and while I didn't mess up as badly as I'd feared, it ended up slightly mangled from knives I had previously assumed were sharp. Any suggestions for good, reasonably inexpensive knives for thinly slicing fish would be very much appreciated.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: September 12, 2017, 06:13:52 pm »

I'm aware of some of the most infamous nordic fish-dishes, but I never heard of this one or why it would ruin knives.
Not that I'm judging, given what I was on the fence about sharing...

So there's a local company in my state which sells, mm, Southern... meats.  Despite my vegetarian inclinations, I'm a big fan of their "liver pudding".  It's local, it's something most people don't eat, it's healthy.
Heh.  Eco-logicial and eco-nomical at once.

So a week ago I tried something called C-Loaf.  I don't know where they got that name, but whatever.  It's...  basically pork stomachs.  Glued together with gelatin and gluten, with vinegar for... flavor.

The same company's liver pudding is basically a block of crumbly-dry organ meat that keeps pretty well.  When I get a protein craving, mm, it really does satisfy it.  It's kinda a wonderfood and I always have to stop myself from eating too much at once.  #AlmostVegetarianProblems

These jellied pork stomachs are not that.  Oh, they spice it up a little, though that's mostly the vinegar (lame sense of smell, still).  It helped with protein cravings, but didn't taste nearly as good.  I had to finish it today when my power went out, since it probably near end-of-life anyway.

Here's the thing:  It took me an entire weak to realize...  I was basically eating pickled hot dogs.
I thought I was sacrificing my resilient taste buds for a good cause, but people *do* eat pork stomachs.  Constantly!  Heh!
So yeah uh that's back off the menu.  Back to liver.  Maybe I'll try tripe, gross as it looks, assuming it does have protein.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: September 12, 2017, 07:06:37 pm »

I'm aware of some of the most infamous nordic fish-dishes, but I never heard of this one or why it would ruin knives.
Not that I'm judging, given what I was on the fence about sharing...

Gravlax is just salmon cured with a dry brine of salt and sugar (and wrapped in dill, or pine needles); it's not nearly as unusual as some of the fermented fish, but it is really delicate. Thus why my knives made a mess of it.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 333