Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477086 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3885 on: February 19, 2018, 10:52:12 am »

RICE PILAF!
Or maybe just fried rice
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: February 19, 2018, 10:52:39 am »

Stir-fries are always good. Lentils soup with smoked sausage boiled in them. Refry some beans, cut some veggies and make tacos. Mac and cheese and their variations. Stoemp and sausages. Sapghetti carbonara, but replace the bacon by chicken and the spaghetti by gnocchi.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: February 19, 2018, 11:02:14 am »

Huh, Carbonara sounds good. Unfortunately my sister (whose draconian rules I must obey until the rebellion has been fomented) doesn't eat chicken, so bacon it will be. Any recipe you have in mind? If not, I'll just go ahead with this. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1052/ultimate-spaghetti-carbonara
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: February 19, 2018, 11:19:08 am »

A stupidly simple recipe we sometimes make is tuna/veggie pasta. Take your pasta of choice (usually spagetthi) boil that shit, then take a random frozen veggie mix, we go with the mexican one which is peppers, corn, peas and sometimes beans (note that canned or fresh stuff works too but it's more work than this). Toss the veggies on a bit of olive oil until it's nice and cooked, add some tomato sauce and a bit of ketchup to taste, toss in a can of tuna and finally add the cooked pasta, toss for a bit until it's all nice and mixed together. Served either hot or cold, works like a pretty nice and light lunch, especially during summer.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:47 am »

If you're doing Carbonara, then you can do the whole roman battery of pasta for variety:

Spaghetti+ black pepper+ Pecorino Romano= Cacio e pepe
Caio e pepe+ Bacon/Pancetta= Pasta alla Gricia
Pasta alla Gricia + egg= Pasta carbonara
Pasta alla Gricia + garlic+ tomato= Pasta all'Amarticiana 

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: February 20, 2018, 06:18:07 am »

Huh, Carbonara sounds good. Unfortunately my sister (whose draconian rules I must obey until the rebellion has been fomented) doesn't eat chicken, so bacon it will be. Any recipe you have in mind? If not, I'll just go ahead with this. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1052/ultimate-spaghetti-carbonara

I tend to do them Belgian style, so fry onions and bacon, on the side mix cream, eggs, grated cheese, pepper and salt (you can add a pinch of nutmeg if you're feeling experimental). As for amount, I'd say about 5 cl of cream and 1 egg per person. Cook the spaghetti, drain them, put them back in the pot then dump the bacon on it then the cream/egg/cheese mix and stir until it cooks around the spaghetti. Normally the residual heat from the pot and pasta should be enough, but you can heat it a tiny bit more if they're too runny for your taste.

Then serve and enjoy, and remember, the tears of Italians is what makes a dish delicious!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: February 20, 2018, 09:10:12 am »

The lecture I'm in atm has an Italian lecturer... I won't even have to go to the shop to get my relish!

In all seriousness, that sounds quite tasty. Definitely giving it a whirl, though probably next week. Success will mean a picture. Defeat...ominous silence.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: February 20, 2018, 12:58:16 pm »

A stupidly simple recipe we sometimes make is tuna/veggie pasta. Take your pasta of choice (usually spagetthi) boil that shit, then take a random frozen veggie mix, we go with the mexican one which is peppers, corn, peas and sometimes beans (note that canned or fresh stuff works too but it's more work than this). Toss the veggies on a bit of olive oil until it's nice and cooked, add some tomato sauce and a bit of ketchup to taste, toss in a can of tuna and finally add the cooked pasta, toss for a bit until it's all nice and mixed together. Served either hot or cold, works like a pretty nice and light lunch, especially during summer.

I've got a good easy one.

- pasta shells
- cream + salt, pepper maybe some lemon juice
- canned tuna
- snow peas (e.g. fresh peas in the pod)

You only really need to cook the pasta, drain it, then mix everything else in. Very simple and tasty.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:02:34 pm by Reelya »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: February 23, 2018, 09:26:35 pm »

Lately for regular evening meals I've been binging on a nice brussel sprouts and mashed potatoes combo. The brussel sprouts I've always done by roasting them in the oven with shallots, lemon, and olive oil, but what made me rediscover mashed potatoes was the (obvious) realization that you can chuck whatever you want in them to add substance. I've been adding lightly steamed carrots, broccoli, edamame, peas, corn, and copious garlic to them (red potatoes with the skins) after the potatoes have been mashed, and it makes them feel worth eating without needing meat. The leftover mashed potatoes can then be fried the next morning in flour, butter, and black pepper.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: February 26, 2018, 04:19:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I made too much. Enough for ten people, probably....

Hrm. Ah well. Learning curve, amirite? Needs more bacon too.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: February 26, 2018, 04:32:21 pm »

Did you add the egg while the pan was over heat? Cause that's how you end up with spaghetti with scrambled egg vs a carbonara.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: February 26, 2018, 04:33:25 pm »

Hey, the recipe told me to! I was a bit confused as to why that happened. Still, not too bad an issue.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: February 26, 2018, 04:41:22 pm »

Made Chili the other day. Might be the easiest dish ever to make. But making it awesome is a different story.

Normally I've used my mother's recipe, which is just ground beef, kidney beans, onion, garlic, chili powder. No real tomato. It's ok but it's always been a little on the thin side, no real gravy to speak of, just the fats and juices blended with the spices.

So I tried what the internet recommended for a change.

Used a whole tomato I crushed up in to pulp.

Used a can of actual tomato sauce. Typically I don't use tomato sauce in anything I make, even spaghetti sauce. (I usually go with tomato paste so I have complete control over the consistency.)

Used a can of chili sauce. Again, I don't really like using pre-made sauces because you either like the flavor or you don't and it's crap shoot when you're buying it off the shelves. But I wanted to really infuse the chili with spice this time and add more "sauce" to it.

Seasoning were chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper corns and a bit of cumin.

Cooked the hamburger up in big chunks instead of chopping it up in the pan, based on a youtube video I saw. At first I doubted the method, seemed overly fiddly to me. But you know what? It works. Not chopping up the hamburger until the chili is well in to the cooking phase does a lot of things. First, it keeps the hamburger on the inside of the chunk tender and raw throughout the cooking process. When you plan to cook your chili for hours instead of minutes, it's pretty important not to over cook the meat. Second, it slowly leeches the meat fats in to the chili over time, rather than leaving most of it in the pan while you're browning it. Again, when you plan to slow cook your chili it's important to not over cook the meat and its byproducts. Lastly, you end up with seemingly dense bits of meat that are in longer strands than when you finally chop it up in the pan while you're browning it, as it naturally comes apart in the chili. This makes the chili consistency, along with all the other factors, thicker.

I did one round of seasoning then cooked it at a low bubble for about 45 minutes. Then I let it rest for a half hour. Then I reheated it, and hit it with another round of seasoning, as the spices can tend to mellow over time. Cooked it for about another 45 minutes at a low bubble.

It came out so thick in places I had to stir it constantly to prevent the bottom from burning. A lot of the veggies and smaller meat bits at the bottom cooked so thoroughly, and separated from the fluids that it became pretty thick in the bottom inch of the pot. I was tempted at one point to add some water but I fought the inclination, as I'm trying to get away from using water at all to control thickness and consistency, I want maximum flavor out of whatever I'm making.

And it came out pretty goddamn delicious, and spicy, in the end. I think I could go without the chili sauce honestly, all it really adds is vinegar and blended spices I'm already using. I could just substitute with more tomato sauce or perhaps beef broth. And on the tomato sauce front.....I'll probably try mashing my own tomatoes next time to make sauce. The canned sauce isn't bad. It's certainly convenient. But again, I hate using pre-made stuff because its got its own flavorings and I want to have a base to work from where I know where each flavor comes from. So I'll probably mash and puree tomatoes next time I do this. I'll also probably mince my onions and garlic too rather than fine chopping. I tend to prefer my veggies to disappear into things like chili and gravy.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 04:44:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: February 26, 2018, 05:04:38 pm »

Hey, the recipe told me to! I was a bit confused as to why that happened. Still, not too bad an issue.

From my experience, you'll want to add the egg mixture right onto the spaghetti a couple of seconds after you take it off the heat and mix rapidly. The residual heat should temper the sauce and make it nice and smooth without scrambling it. Might take a couple of tries to get the timing just right. 

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: February 26, 2018, 05:19:12 pm »

Yah, carbonara is one of those really tough to master dishes, despite having stupidly simple ingredients.

@Nenjin
Make sure you peel the tomatoes first, nobody likes bits of skin randomly peppered in the meal waiting to get stuck between your teeth.
Also, on not overcooking the meat, you usually brown it first, then take it out while you prep the sauce with the veggies, then toss it back in about halfway trough when you add the beans as well.
Also also, if you end up wanting a tiny bit thicker sauce, grab a bit of dark cooking chocolate (the less sugar the better, you don't want to make it too sweet) and toss that in. Works wonders in bringing the whole thing together in a way that's a bit hard to describe exactly.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 333