Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477414 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3915 on: April 07, 2018, 08:53:06 am »

Sounds fun, what kind of lentils do you tend to use for that?

Disclaimer: I don't know jack about lentils. The first thing I picked up contained the red variety so that's what I used.

Hehe, s'fair. I don't know much about lentils either, just that there are several kinds, and they can either be very tasty or horridly dull, all depending. I suppose that goes for most things.

So, looks like I only *slightly* screwed up "push button and wait"... What was intended to be a succulent pork roast-type-thing has ended up as a few litres of onion soup (and I know that's supposed to be haute cuisine, but I've never been impressed by such) with some pork bits bobbing around in it. Some real "gone mild" flavor implosions happening here.

Still, I'll try to chalk it up as a learning experience and not get too demotivated. Could've been worse.

Cont.: Blargh, this is irritating. Been trying to find appropriate recipes to put together in the cooker, but it's not going so well... Mainly due to there being too many conditions being applied.

I want something with a minimum of prep, because I get tired very easily and it can be difficult to summon the determination to start something I know is going to be exhausting, so preferably not a mass amount of peeling/chopping. But I'd also like to not just throw a lump of meat in there every time, since I tend to do better with mostly plant-based dishes, keeping the steak for an occasional treat.

This then becomes compounded by her avoiding carbs, although it's gotten less strict of late... But still no rice or pasta.

So I'm stuck trying to find something low-prep, preferably vegetarian (oh yeah, she refuses to eat anything that has been in contact with seafood, so that's out), low-to-no carb, doesn't include anything she doesn't like (olives, tofu, mushrooms, "excessive" beans), or anything I don't like (zucchini, most squash, eggplant).

Between the two of us, we exclude just about every base for a meal there is. Which means that there needs to be a compromise, which means I'm going to make a compromise, and since I'm the one making the food then I'm going to be resentful and whiny about it. Which is decidedly not what food is about.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: April 10, 2018, 10:17:30 pm »

Don't mind me, omnivore checking in.

We did groceries today. We normally pick out some recipes to cook before we go but I winged it. About $24 of stuff and it was amazing.

Everything was baked at 425 for 25 minutes. The steaks were then finished in a ripping hot pan.

Oh, and my phone takes fuckhuge pictures. Click on the image if you want to see the individual freshly-ground pepper pieces on the brussels sprouts or some shit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:21:20 pm by Mephisto »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: April 10, 2018, 11:51:16 pm »

I don't think lentil color matters all that much. And all my life experience with lentils have taught me that the seasonings are the key. I've been fed straight boiled lentils before and fucking hated it.

But this Iraqi place I go to for lunch does a lentil soup....add a little hot sauce to that guy and not only is it packed full of protein, it's delicious too. I looked up a recipe and it's fairly quick and straight forward. Bonus speed if you have a food processor, both to quickly blend ingredients and to reach the desired level of soup consistency. The Iraqi place likes it a little on the thicker side; I'd prefer something slurpably thin. (And hotter, because what I REALLY want to make is an Indian mulligitwany soup like I get at this one Indian place...but looking up recipes online has led to so many variations that sound nothing like what I enjoy, I've kind of given up on it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: April 11, 2018, 01:43:25 am »

Well, pureed lentils are going to give you a thicker consistency, that's just how it works. They're commonly used to make flour, after all.

You could try a Dal/Dal Tadka recipe. They're generally not thin, but they're lovingly spiced and lend themselves wonderfully to kicking the heat up a bit more than whatever the recipe calls for.  Hell, if your local Indian place serves south Indian dishes, you could just ask if they can make it for you so you can try it out. I've seen a couple places where they don't put it on the menu, but you can still order it because it's quite popular with the not-westerners.

And lentil type matters... just like beans. You don't substitute kidney beans for black turtle.

Mephisto's post
Took me a moment to recognize the butter camouflaged in with the sprouts in the first pic. My mind immediately sprang to pranks involving the careful wrapping of some sprout leaves around a kernel of butter, hehehe.

I take it the steaks were still nice and juicy? I thought you were supposed to sear before baking rather than after, but I don't think I've ever actually done steak.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: April 11, 2018, 07:02:41 am »

Mephisto's post
Took me a moment to recognize the butter camouflaged in with the sprouts in the first pic. My mind immediately sprang to pranks involving the careful wrapping of some sprout leaves around a kernel of butter, hehehe.

I take it the steaks were still nice and juicy? I thought you were supposed to sear before baking rather than after, but I don't think I've ever actually done steak.

In a world of deep-fried sticks of butter, is that really a prank?

One was juicy. Maybe it had something to do with letting it rest a bit longer than the other, I'm not sure.

Conventional wisdom says "sear then bake" but some cooking Youtuber (may have been Andrew Rea from Binging with Babish) thought "why not try the other way?"

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: April 12, 2018, 11:44:24 pm »

Pork rib, beef, spaghetti squash, and pasta sauce. :D
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: April 12, 2018, 11:58:25 pm »

Salmon boxty and barley-apple flummery here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: April 13, 2018, 12:08:43 am »

Since Nenjin was talking about chili, I'll tell you all about the way I do it.

I start with a thick (not cut very small) sofrito in the bottom of the sauce pan involving first the onion (normally one vidalia, but three shallots are great work the same with a more nuanced flavor if you want to pay the extra few dollars), then mushrooms (unconventional, but I like the heterogeneity they contribute to the texture). Then I follow that with sweet and medium peppers like bell, hatch, and poblano, and finally the garlic. The order here matters because of how thoroughly I want the ingredients cooked, and depending on how visibly cooked things are I might wait a bit longer between steps than it takes to chop the next ingredient. Onion should caramalize a bit, mushroom shouldn't have the consistency of a fresh one, peppers should just barely start to cook, and garlic goes last because if you fry it too long/hot it can get acrid.

After that I dump in the meat, I normally go for picada, which is similar to ground beef/hamburger in that it's sort of any bit of the cow all scraped together, but it's in bigger pieces that retain more of the original structure of the meet. I do sometimes use hamburger if I've got it around for meatballs or something, though, so I'll see about trying the lumps and chunks described earlier next time I do. After that is mostly (but not entirely) browned, I add the beans. I don't think the exact cultivar matters much, but the type does. I use half frijol and half habichuela. I don't think there's a linguistic distinction for these in English, but but frijoles are the small flavorful ones (I use normally black beans, but I've heard some people use black eyed peas or even pinto) and habichuelas are the slightly bigger and much more starchy ones (great northern beans and small red kidney beans are conventional). Some people even use alubías (the big white ones that make you fart) but I don't recommend that. For one pot full, I use two cups (measured dry) of black beans and and one each of those two habichuelas. They should be soaked for more than 24 hours, generally, and some people recommend to also freeze and then thaw them to make a softer consistency, but I find that this is done way better by just giving them a big longer on full heat before cutting to simmer.

Anyway, after beans depending on the canned tomato I'm using, I might let them cook a bit first - that's if you use diced tomato. For puree or paste, it doesn't matter much if you put it sooner or later. While that's cooking, I add spices - salt, black pepper, and sometimes a bit of powdered cayenne depending on the spice level of the other peppers I have at this time. If you have chili powder, in north America it's probably cayenne but Europe it might be paprika, which I wouldn't normally recommend for chili but to each his own. But the most important spice is cumin. Normally I put like a bit more than a teaspoon of salt, half a teaspoon of black pepper, and at most half a dozen cayenne peppers (I take them dried and powder them straight into the pot) but the cumin should always be upwards of a tablespoon. (All amounts are approximate, I don't measure since I already know the recipe). The reason these go in last, by the way, is because if you add them before the tomato, it's too dry and the cumin will make you cough. And after those are mixed in, I shop and add the spicy peppers, which might be jalapeño or potentially also habanero if you like that. I've been trying some anaheims since they grow nicely here but the spice level seems a bit low for this.

Anyways after that's all done, taste a bean. If I can taste the poison, let it keep cooking another ten minutes and then taste again until the beans taste good. When the beans are ready, I give it the last mix (prior to this is should be mixed often, each time you check it pretty much, as well as whenever you add a new ingredient or if you reckon it needs it) and add the fresh tomatoes. These are picked to be a flavorful cultivar, but anything you get fresh is usually nice for this. I cut them up into pieces, the small ones I get here are normally 24 pieces so kind of small, and I lay them on top without mixing, so that they roast instead of boil and retain a good flavor. Then I cut the heat to a simmer, put a lid on, and wait two hours. More and it gets watery, less and the flavors might not be properly blended, but that's only for big differences, really it depends on when I'm ready to eat.

I serve it on rice (three cups white, half a cup black, plus seven cups water and salt, butter, celery seed, black pepper, and turmeric in small amounts, brought to boil then simmered for 20-30 minutes) and add cheese (monterrey jack, medium to sharp cheddar, quesadilla sinaloa, and asadero or oaxaca, shredded and mixed). It's a really warm-flavored comfort food to enjoy while having a peaceful night in.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: April 13, 2018, 12:48:42 am »

Short strips of seaweed, with a knot tied in the middle for texture, much better than it sounds.
Canned "Curry Imitation Chicken Fillet", apparently made from gluten??  Texture about 75% chicken, 25% tofu, 0% either.  Curry sauce far better than expected, would pour over rice, and a nice price.
Canned quail eggs:  Have not yet dared.  Maybe tomorrow.

My housemate enlightened me to an asian market much closer than the one I used to visit, and the selection is great.  *crunches un-noteworthy green-tea dry seaweed sheet* (they're like chips, but more taste less carb)

Soba noodles over a spinach/mushroom/cheese/sweetpepper salad was also great, a few days ago.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: April 13, 2018, 06:51:55 am »

I tried making black garlic oil. You cook garlic until it turns black and sticky, then dump it in sesame oil and blitz it in a blender for 30 seconds.

Yeah, my garlic wasn't black and sticky. It was black and crunchy. Maybe next time.  :'(

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: April 13, 2018, 07:12:57 am »

I tried making black garlic oil. You cook garlic until it turns black and sticky, then dump it in sesame oil and blitz it in a blender for 30 seconds.

Yeah, my garlic wasn't black and sticky. It was black and crunchy. Maybe next time.  :'(

I thought proper black garlic takes weeks of fermenting at ~355 K. Did you try to do it in a rice cooker or something?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: April 13, 2018, 07:24:09 am »

I thought proper black garlic takes weeks of fermenting at ~355 K. Did you try to do it in a rice cooker or something?

Nah, followed this guy's recipe.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: April 18, 2018, 10:54:41 am »

I've made a terrible mistake... I just watched several videos showing various kinds of street food from India and Pakistan.

[Cries in hungry]

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: April 18, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »

So. Hungry.

Why yes, the music is from Southern Hungary!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3929 on: April 21, 2018, 03:40:25 pm »

OK so I'm using my crockpot for the first time. I want to make spanish rice!

These are my ingredients:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have beans, tomato sauce, white rice (its in the bag), and some veggies. I'm going to get some garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some chicken to make it taste good.

So I know what I want and I have the tools, but I don't know where to start. The amount of tomato sauce and spices I can just play with until it works. My questions are more: how much rice do I use given the amount of veggies and beans I want to add? Do I need to drain the cans or is it better to incorporate the water in the mix? How much water needs to be in the crockpot overall? How long do I cook this for?

Bonus alternate scenario: If I bought some chicken can I just throw it in there without changing any of my parameters?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:57:49 pm by Parsely »
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 333