Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477797 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4020 on: January 04, 2019, 04:29:46 am »

But there's so many different ways to do Garam Masala that I don't honestly know what it *should* taste like.

It should be spicy and delicious. Everything else is up to you! Mix it one way for a tangy tomato-ey curry, mix it another for a smooth peanut chicken curry, mix it a third for tandoori skewers, play with the levels, and don't worry about being "right". It's literally just "hot spice blend".

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: January 04, 2019, 04:45:10 am »

Ooh, food thread!
Earlier today on my beer run I also bought an "Asian salad kit" from the nearby supermarket, which is really just a bag filled with various tasty salad veggies and a couple of smaller bags containing tangy salad dressing and crispy noodle crumbs.
Got home and made a sandwich. Threw in some sriracha as well.
Turned out pretty ace, perfect eatin' for this lovely 43 degree weather we had today. Even better with a beer to wash it down!
*insert GIF of a character from that Disney movie I never saw doing the 'Ok' sign here*

Oh yeah, I bought some chips/crisps, too. Forgot about those.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: January 04, 2019, 05:02:41 am »

Maybe puree it in a blender then strain it? Would at least break up the lumps.

Maybe, but it gets frothy when whipped much like eggs, and for much the same reason, so I'm worried it will lose binding ability after being aerated. I'll certainly try it, though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: January 04, 2019, 05:09:13 am »

Throw a bunch of mosquitoes into the mix, their saliva is an anticoagulant.

Anyways, yeah, seems people just strain it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: January 04, 2019, 10:45:21 am »

Ooh, food thread!
Earlier today on my beer run I also bought an "Asian salad kit" from the nearby supermarket, which is really just a bag filled with various tasty salad veggies and a couple of smaller bags containing tangy salad dressing and crispy noodle crumbs.
Got home and made a sandwich. Threw in some sriracha as well.
Turned out pretty ace, perfect eatin' for this lovely 43 degree weather we had today. Even better with a beer to wash it down!
*insert GIF of a character from that Disney movie I never saw doing the 'Ok' sign here*

Oh yeah, I bought some chips/crisps, too. Forgot about those.
Woah, cool coincidence!  Housemate and I finally went back to the Asian grocery store, where I got this big packet of spiced turnips for adding to rice.  They worked great!  We also got a few cans of gluten chunks in curry, which I swear taste just like chicken.  Like, closer than most tofu-based meat substitutes.

Also got a lot of bok-choy and some dumplings, I need to set up the steamer soon...  But I'm even more excited about the fresh seaweed.  Not the processed-sheets kind, but wet and crunchy green stalks~  Just gotta eat'm before they go bad.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: January 04, 2019, 11:10:01 am »

Sounds like a pretty sweet haul! :D
I don't think I've tried fresh tofu since that one time as a kid, when I was swimming in a creek/river somewhere and my sister coerced me into eating some.   

Googling "gluten chunks" came up with seitan, is that what you've got? That stuff is pretty wonderful in my limited experience, though I am yet to make/prepare it myself. Hmmm, I should really try that at some point. Also, even with its weird pronunciation, the puntential is pretty high.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:12:12 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: January 04, 2019, 11:28:02 am »

Yeah seitan looks right!  What we got was prepared chunks in a curry sauce, ready to use, but they also sold big bags of a dried version that had spongey holes.  We also got some tofu bricks of course, which we'll used before the seitan cans.

It still boggles my mind how they manage to have some a wide selection at this place.  There were like 3 different brands of quail eggs, including fresh uncooked ones, and yet most things are really inexpensive!  I guess they must have a lot of customers, which is cool.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: January 04, 2019, 12:00:24 pm »

I made some stuffed peppers today. I was kinda underwhelmed, sadly. I made a beef and mushroom filling, which I was worried would be too mild and was exactly that. Next time I might try curry or something zany like that. Tomato would be good, but my mom hates the stuff so I try not to inflict it on her. :P

You could do a worse job of removing the seeds, or re-add them after cleaning out the husks. That's assuming you're using jalapeno. For bell peppers, you'd need to supply your own spice/flavoring. Possibly some sort of cheese (Swiss or Mozzarella?) to go with the mushrooms?

Which reminds me: habanero poppers. Mix cream cheese and honey for the stuffing, and clean out the husks to remove all seeds. Probably rinse them again before stuffing. The habanero flavor and burn go well with the honey sweetness (or most fruits), and the cream cheese cools them pretty well. Still spicy, but very good. I used a plastic sandwich bag to mush the cream cheese and honey together, then cut a hole in the corner to use as a pastry bag for filling the peppers.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: January 05, 2019, 01:50:01 am »

Rice cooker broke down ):
No obvious indications when I took it apart.  The mechanism and connections all looked fine, it just wasn't receiving power.

New rice cooker acquired (:
Tighter profile, and with a steamer tray!!  I forgot how cool these were.  I got used to mixing veggies into the raw rice, but that dilutes the flavor a lot compared to eating them off the tray with chopsticks.  Mmm!  And it's so easy to dump them right down into the rice, and none of their essence is lost except into the rice~

Boiling then draining vegetables is sad ):

The crispy bean pods I got were kinda better right out of the fridge, crunchy and juicy but still tender.  But the carrot chunks I sliced were a lot better after a bit of steaming, as was the bok choy, and I know broccoli and spinach will be too.  Maybe with some cheese, next time...
She/they

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: January 06, 2019, 05:22:43 am »

Also, even with its weird pronunciation, the puntential is pretty high.   
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eovuIfeH2k4

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: January 11, 2019, 07:34:05 am »

Hahaha, I was pretty sure what that was gonna be before I clicked it. What a legend!
I should really actually try a recipe of his one of these days, but I am an excruciatingly lazy creature of habit when it comes to cooking.

Anyway, news flash: I finally got around to trying tempeh!
First impressions: it's pretty darn great. That is all.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: January 11, 2019, 07:53:22 pm »

Aw dammit. We have a package of sliced Havarti, unopened and with an expiration date sometime this April.

I pulled it out and it was moldy. Still unopened. I was gonna have a delicious sandwich with that Havarti but I guess that's not happening.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: January 23, 2019, 08:04:55 pm »

I made a huge batch of spaghetti with my dad yesterday and I ate so much leftovers today.
Chopping vegetables is fun, particularly since he sharpens his knives properly.

Idunno I just like cooking with my family sometimes...  They're both pretty good, though they have almost opposite styles heh.  Mom bakes all this great low-carb gluten-free stuff, and muesli, and basically no meat except for amazingly tender turkey for thanksgiving.  Dad deep fries that sucker in peanut oil, makes awesome greasy stir-fries, or shrimp scampi with so much cheese...  I barely feel hungry for a few days after I visit him XD

I was going to post this in the happy thread but it feels more appropriate here.  I mean, I'm still having a blast with my new steamer.  Rice is so much better with fresh steamed veggies.  Carrots, baby bok choy, and OMG just throwing strings of seaweed into the rice is sooooo easy and good.
(Oh and squeezing some red miso in gives it all the salt I want)

The fried gluten wasn't nearly as good as I remembered, at first.  Then I tried the version that's canned with peanuts - that's what I was remembering~  I've still got a bunch of peanut powder to mix into rice, which is a lot better than it sounds, but I think I got plenty of beef and pork protein from the spaghetti.  Oooof!
She/they

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: March 02, 2019, 01:05:02 pm »

So I got an avocado today, thinking it'd be nice to finally see what the fuss is about. But, as it turns out, I got an unripe one, which wouldn't be an issue if in my eagerness to try it I didn't cut it upen as soon as I could, before checking the ripeness properly. Now I'm wondering, can I just wrap it up in plastic and wait a day or two for it to ripen? Do I leave it in the fridge like that, leave it out? I got no clue, some avocado advice (advocado?) would be appreciated.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: March 02, 2019, 01:48:02 pm »

No idea about avocados, but other fruits can be cut in two and placed flesh-side down on a plate in the fridge.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 333