Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469466 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4050 on: May 16, 2019, 08:03:56 am »

I don't know if this is "drunk thread" or "food thread" material. It's about creation so I guess it goes here.

I found a local wine shop that appeared to carry winemaking equipment. I'm going to stop by after work. If my ten second glance was correct, I'll be picking up some yeast and the three funky powders you need, stopping by the grocery store for water, honey, and juniper berries, and then I'll be headed home to make my first knockoff carboy of Ralof's Choice. Should this (and the next couple hundred batches) end up being amazing, I may see about getting my license and opening a microbrewery.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:56:56 am by Mephisto »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: May 16, 2019, 08:12:42 am »

I have no cupboard, a dorm fridge, 50cm2 of countertop space, a combination microwave/standard oven up on the shelf, and a just-about-1-liter pot which takes 12-20 minutes to boil thanks to this ridiculous stovetop.

I am... Somewhat at a loss as to things I can make. I suppose just try and invest 100% in the crockpot? I do need to learn how to make a decent pulled pork...

A slow cooker can make a ton of things, so I'd definitely try to find recipes you can make with it that you'd like.  Pulled pork is something I make in mine on occasion, but be warned that you'll need a decent sized slow cooker to cook a pork shoulder unless you can get one cut down to size somehow.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: May 16, 2019, 08:18:48 am »

I have no cupboard, a dorm fridge, 50cm2 of countertop space, a combination microwave/standard oven up on the shelf, and a just-about-1-liter pot which takes 12-20 minutes to boil thanks to this ridiculous stovetop.

I am... Somewhat at a loss as to things I can make. I suppose just try and invest 100% in the crockpot? I do need to learn how to make a decent pulled pork...

A slow cooker can make a ton of things, so I'd definitely try to find recipes you can make with it that you'd like.  Pulled pork is something I make in mine on occasion, but be warned that you'll need a decent sized slow cooker to cook a pork shoulder unless you can get one cut down to size somehow.

It's a... I think 3.5 liter version? Every time I've used it so far has made enough food to make a real problem out of eating it all before it goes bad.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: May 16, 2019, 08:19:23 am »

.... a just-about-1-liter pot which takes 12-20 minutes to boil thanks to this ridiculous stovetop.

What about getting an electric kettle or a coffee machine and use it to pre heat your cooking water in them before moving it to the stove?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: May 16, 2019, 08:29:06 am »

.... a just-about-1-liter pot which takes 12-20 minutes to boil thanks to this ridiculous stovetop.

What about getting an electric kettle or a coffee machine and use it to pre heat your cooking water in them before moving it to the stove?
Well, first I'd like to have a bit more operational space than 50cm2 before putting an electric kettle down. Second, considering the amount of water that can be held in the average e-kettle, pasta is still gonna take a while to get enough water ready...

But yeah, that is an option. I'd still like to talk with the landlord first about tweaking the stovetop, maybe even swapping it out with something that doesn't have a third dial that's an unmarked timer (meaning it's impossible to tell how long it's set for) that constantly goes TICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICK, and without which the burners won't even turn on.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: May 17, 2019, 04:10:39 am »

Well, first I'd like to have a bit more operational space than 50cm2 before putting an electric kettle down. Second, considering the amount of water that can be held in the average e-kettle, pasta is still gonna take a while to get enough water ready...

But yeah, that is an option. I'd still like to talk with the landlord first about tweaking the stovetop, maybe even swapping it out with something that doesn't have a third dial that's an unmarked timer (meaning it's impossible to tell how long it's set for) that constantly goes TICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICKTICK, and without which the burners won't even turn on.

I was watching some cooking vids today and noticed that they 've been using a 33.5x42 induction cooktop to cook on a table. ( I'm not sure if it's allowed or not put a link to it's amazon page)

I agree that getting your landlord to replace that piece of junk would be best but if that doesn't work out, a cooktop like that seems to be both capable enough to actually cook with and small enough to use within your limited space and then when done store it somewhere else, so I thought I should mention it.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4056 on: May 17, 2019, 05:04:14 am »

I've never seen a kettle here that doesn't hold at least 1.7l O_o I cook pasta for 6-7 people with that much water all the time.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: May 17, 2019, 05:19:15 am »

Wait, you can cook pasta in a kettle? :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4058 on: May 17, 2019, 06:22:27 am »

Nooooo

You boil water in the kettle because it's faster than boiling it on a stove. Then you put the boiling water in a pot on the stove and cook pasta as usual.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: May 17, 2019, 07:09:10 am »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: May 17, 2019, 11:05:19 am »

I bet I could fry bacon mushrooms and eggs in my coffee pot. 

Maybe hashbrowns?  Not sure if it would get hot enough...
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: May 17, 2019, 11:11:26 am »

At least steam an egg. One of those tea water heating things could boil something.

I think frying is in the 350 F (177 C) range, as opposed to boiling which is 212 F (100 C), which hopefully the coffee machine only has right at the heating element.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: May 18, 2019, 03:02:34 am »

Nooooo

You boil water in the kettle because it's faster than boiling it on a stove. Then you put the boiling water in a pot on the stove and cook pasta as usual.
...That sounds like cutting off your feet to make your pants fit better.
You might as well just cook it in the pot if you're gonna go to that much trouble! Unless you have some seriously powerful kettles in your part of the world, I guess.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4063 on: May 18, 2019, 04:13:03 am »

I'unno. An electric kettle boils water in a matter of a short few minutes, it certainly feels longer doing it on the stove.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: May 18, 2019, 12:37:36 pm »

Update on my Thursday update: Things did not go according to plan. The wine store didn't have homebrewing equipment. Picked up some yeast and mysterious white powders yesterday during lunch from an actual homebrewing store. Picked up some bungs, airlocks, an auto-siphon, and a bunch of miscellaneous crap today. Here is the result:

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 333