Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477665 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4215 on: November 11, 2019, 01:52:40 pm »

But I have never before today heard of someone making a cheese-less heathen pizza, then putting cold cheese on it so it doesn't melt.

That just sounds like a lunchables, actually
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: November 11, 2019, 02:13:11 pm »

The day was right so I fired up my grill for what may be the final time of the year last night. Parents were over so we had a lot of meat. And I opened my big mouth so we got said meat from a place specializing in regional ingredients.

Locally-grown Polish sausage, non-locally-grown-but-locally-processed smoked bison brats, and some grilled foil-wrapped potatoes.

I do this somewhat regularly. I get the bright idea to go somewhere new and it ends up being super expensive. My folks feel guilty because they wanted to pay. And then I feel guilty because the goal was not to show off.

In any case, everyone loved the Polish sausage and potatoes. I'm the only one that thought the bison was okay. At least they were cheap-ish due to the whole "it was farmer dude's first time smoking them" thing.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: November 11, 2019, 02:16:13 pm »

I bravely googled "Sausage Tree" at work so i could make jokes about growing sausages, but then it turns out it's an actual thing so that was all ruined.

That sounds like a nice grillin' time, though. Grats.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: November 11, 2019, 02:49:16 pm »

I actually knew that! Hah, I knew playing SimSafari as a kid would pay off someday...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: November 11, 2019, 03:03:02 pm »

Oh my god I remember that now.

I never had any idea how it was supposed to work and just made giant fields of dangerous animals to see what would happen.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: November 14, 2019, 04:27:23 pm »

Yesterday I was in the little grocery store (or deli, or whatever you wanna call it) a block away and I found myself in the aisle with flour etcetera, and it occurred to me that maybe they sold polenta - something I'd been told I could likely find in this sort of place.
Sure enough, they do! I bought myself a hefty 1kg bag of the stuff.

I've wanted to try polenta ever since I first read of it in one of my favourite fantasy books (The Wordsmiths and the Warguild) as a kid.
Now, at least a decade later, I'm here in the kitchen running on no sleep and it is time to pick one of the many conflicting recipes I've found on how to prepare it and give this a shot. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: November 14, 2019, 07:51:06 pm »

Since we have most of the ingredients and my wife is lactose intolerant, I tried this recipe for almond milk ice cream.

It's not really like ice cream, but it's sugary and creamy and cold so who cares? I put a chocolate biscotti and half of an Abuelita disc in it for the chocolate flavor, since I don't have chocolate syrup or powder.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: November 14, 2019, 08:17:19 pm »

All I know is you can't use not-milk for instant pudding.  It never thickens.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: November 15, 2019, 03:21:34 pm »

Yesterday I was in the little grocery store (or deli, or whatever you wanna call it) a block away and I found myself in the aisle with flour etcetera, and it occurred to me that maybe they sold polenta - something I'd been told I could likely find in this sort of place.
Sure enough, they do! I bought myself a hefty 1kg bag of the stuff.

I've wanted to try polenta ever since I first read of it in one of my favourite fantasy books (The Wordsmiths and the Warguild) as a kid.
Now, at least a decade later, I'm here in the kitchen running on no sleep and it is time to pick one of the many conflicting recipes I've found on how to prepare it and give this a shot. :D
Polenta is literally just mix corn grit and water and cook that mixture. Everything else is details and additions, which you can do according to your own tastes and it's still polenta. It doesn't really even require a recipe to begin with.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: November 15, 2019, 03:47:00 pm »

I use it like a bed for other stuff sometimes. Someone gave me one of them there Blue Apron boxes once and it added meatballs and spinach on top. That was good.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: November 16, 2019, 01:18:07 am »

After seeing someone on Chopped (I think it was, anyway) make grits with pumpkin in it, and after acquiring a can of pumpkin of which I only needed half, I decided to try making it myself.  I've got no idea what recipe the chef used, but I found one online, and the results were really good I thought.

The Recipe

I made a minor tweak, as everyone does when following a recipe.  I had some leftover buttermilk I didn't know what to do with either, so I used that in place of the milk in the recipe.  Not sure if that had much impact one way or another.  I also didn't make the spinach sauce, though I imagine that would have made it even better.

I'm considering making more to take to the Thanksgiving potluck at work next week, but I promised a cheesecake.  A tough decision.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: November 16, 2019, 09:50:34 am »

My wife's work gave everybody free whole damn turkeys.

We got a free turkey.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: November 18, 2019, 09:09:16 am »

Folded pizza* with french fries inside. Gross as it may sound, it's the best thing I've ever eaten after a night of heavy drinking. The place I got it would also put all sort of stuff (spreads, sausages, eggs etc) inside like it's some kind of sandwich, if one wanted to.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: November 18, 2019, 09:23:51 am »

I remember something similar at this one place a friend took me. It was essentially a toasted sandwich type of deal but instead of using plain ol' bread/bagels the clever bastards used two slices of pizza essentially. They weren't actually two slices since they were baked like mini-pizzas but the effect was the same. Shit was brilliant, you'd get that pizza hit with the crispy crust and the sauce and then whatever else you like in your sandwich would come up and say hi. It was a beautiful thing indeed.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: November 18, 2019, 01:35:17 pm »

Folded pizza* with french fries inside. Gross as it may sound, it's the best thing I've ever eaten after a night of heavy drinking. The place I got it would also put all sort of stuff (spreads, sausages, eggs etc) inside like it's some kind of sandwich, if one wanted to.

I remember something similar at this one place a friend took me. It was essentially a toasted sandwich type of deal but instead of using plain ol' bread/bagels the clever bastards used two slices of pizza essentially. They weren't actually two slices since they were baked like mini-pizzas but the effect was the same. Shit was brilliant, you'd get that pizza hit with the crispy crust and the sauce and then whatever else you like in your sandwich would come up and say hi. It was a beautiful thing indeed.

"A pizza is a sandwich."

Edit: Also, it's a calzone.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 333