Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477691 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4230 on: November 18, 2019, 01:59:33 pm »

"A pizza is a sandwich."
Edit: Also, it's a calzone.

I meant to expand on the pizza part but I completely forgot about it. While it is technically a calzone, what they offered was closer to what is known here as peynirli (or peinirli) than pizza. The difference is well within the limits of regional variations but in a peynirli the sauce is a bit sweeter and (as far as I'm aware) the cheese is almost exclusively some kind of gouda. For whatever reason few places deviate from that basic recipe.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: November 18, 2019, 10:39:10 pm »

I love spicy food, but I have to wonder if my love of it isn't a contributing factor in the digestive issues I suffer from time to time. 

A bit of internet trawling just now led me to a few suggested methods for combating spice-related stomach issues. They varied wildly in actual helpfulness (seriously, I counted at least three or four absolute morons suggesting to stop eating spicy food or eat less of it), but one interesting idea I saw was ginger root, or tea made from it.

Has anyone had experience with that? Using ginger to alleviate the general stomach-area discomfort that sometimes results from chowing down on a bunch of hot food?

I ate some delicious banh mi from this rad little bakery near a friend's house yesterday, complete with a nice pile of chili in the middle, and a while afterwards my stomach felt like it was being clenched in the burning fist of an angry fire elemental.
Worth it, of course, but it would be nice to eat what is becoming one of my favourite foods without practically incapacitating myself.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:41:55 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: November 19, 2019, 08:40:44 am »

I love spicy food, but I have to wonder if my love of it isn't a contributing factor in the digestive issues I suffer from time to time. 

A bit of internet trawling just now led me to a few suggested methods for combating spice-related stomach issues. They varied wildly in actual helpfulness (seriously, I counted at least three or four absolute morons suggesting to stop eating spicy food or eat less of it), but one interesting idea I saw was ginger root, or tea made from it.

Has anyone had experience with that? Using ginger to alleviate the general stomach-area discomfort that sometimes results from chowing down on a bunch of hot food?

I ate some delicious banh mi from this rad little bakery near a friend's house yesterday, complete with a nice pile of chili in the middle, and a while afterwards my stomach felt like it was being clenched in the burning fist of an angry fire elemental.
Worth it, of course, but it would be nice to eat what is becoming one of my favourite foods without practically incapacitating myself.

You should be able to get something that the flavor of ginger would go well with in Banh Mi, even though a lot of them are French-inspired.

Also, once I figured out my stomach issues were related to lactose intolerance (and also allergies from mold and trees, but those are year-round), I was able to pay closer attention to when my stomach feels good enough to handle dairy again. Effects can last 2-3 days, so it's not easy to say what causes the issue until you avoid it for a while. Also, the effects are worse if I avoid dairy for too long, which is how I originally identified it. Made nachos after being away from dairy for over a week, and my stomach burned. For advice: try cutting out different kinds of foods for a week or so at a time to see if you feel better, then re-add them to see if you feel worse. If you think it's worth it, just go for once every 2-3 days.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: November 19, 2019, 08:53:12 am »

Capsaicin tolerance is also something that's developed and built up over extended usage. Unless you have a specific vulnerability to it, regularly eating spicy foods will make your body adapt to it better (note that different receptors will have different levels of sensitivity, which is why your mouth my be able to handle one level of spiciness while your digestive system balks at the same food when it makes its way down there. All of it can be trained up, eventually).

So, in effect... Eat it more often.

Remember, pain is just weakness diarrhea leaving the body.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: November 19, 2019, 11:41:30 am »

It's not really a calzone because it's not an enclosed pizza thing wannabe, but rather two distinct pieces of pizza mated into one unholy sandwich thing.

On the hot stuff. Ginger tea with some lemon and honey is fucking delicious as well as a great ward against colds and similar shit, not too sure what benefit it has for stomach troubles tho. It's also great in that it's kinda spicy? Basically, if you drink it hot it's mostly a fragrant tea with some sweetness and sourness from the honey and lemon. But as it cools the fragrance turns into heat somehow, it's not like chilli hot or black pepper hot but something fairly distinct. Hard to describe, but it's fucking great whatever it is. And it's fairly simple to make, just boil some ginger root for a bit and then add the rest into the cup. Can also add some fresh fruit juice from oranges or similar for extra tastiness.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: November 19, 2019, 02:28:43 pm »

Ginger is some strong stuff, is likely why. Sounds good though.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: November 19, 2019, 11:13:28 pm »

I made some rice pudding. It's just milk, rice, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla, but simple desserts are fun. Also, it's surprisingly similar to oatmeal when hot.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: November 20, 2019, 04:21:22 am »

Unfortunately, regarding spicy food, GERD is a legitimate medical condition that can occur due to age, weight gain, frequent alcohol consumption or smoking. Treatments vary, depending on the severity, though dietary modification has little benefit in many cases.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: November 20, 2019, 08:53:53 am »

Jimmy, you're ending a post, in the food thread, with a cookie monster avatar, without "om nom nom?"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: November 20, 2019, 10:11:54 am »

I also love spicy food. And have had no problems with it.

...Until recently that is. I've been getting my usual order from the local Indian place (which is more like indian food made by white people than indian food made by indians) for years without issue.

But of late my staple dish, Chicken Tikka Korma, has not been treating me well. It's like if I eat it on the weekend when I don't have to get up for anything, I'm fine.

But if I get it Sunday night......Monday morning when I'm getting up for work is not pleasant. Crazy, crazy amounts of gas and intestinal distress. I've tried eating it earlier in the night to give myself more time to digest but that doesn't seem to help. Generally I have NO issues eating even 30 minutes before bed; I burn through so many calories these days that my body rarely objects to a good amount of food right before sleep. Except this fuckin dish.

I dunno if their ingredients / quality have changed or if my body has had a negative adaptation to eating the same thing week in week out. But it fucking sucks! It's a great meal of real food that fits nicely into my nutrition routine, and now that it's seemingly no longer viable it's left a big 'ol gaping hole in my weekly meals.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: November 20, 2019, 02:01:16 pm »

Jimmy, you're ending a post, in the food thread, with a cookie monster avatar, without "om nom nom?"

+1
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: December 03, 2019, 11:43:31 am »

I am disappointed to learn that I can't buy Christmas Tinner to bring to the work birthday potluck this month.

So, Internet, I humbly request your assistance in finding something even worse, but also festive.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: December 03, 2019, 11:45:56 am »

Just go find the most repulsive fruit cake you can find. Already looks like it came out of a can anyways.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: December 03, 2019, 11:47:48 am »

Fruit cake.

More seriously, maybe one of the items on this list?  https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/17-horrifyingly-disgusting-retro-gelatin-recipes

Maybe not strictly festive, but you can probably spin them in some way to be more holiday themed.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: December 03, 2019, 11:56:01 am »

Fruit cake.

More seriously, maybe one of the items on this list?  https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/17-horrifyingly-disgusting-retro-gelatin-recipes

Maybe not strictly festive, but you can probably spin them in some way to be more holiday themed.

Hmm. Now I'm thinking about putting effort into this already very bad idea by making something. I can't even tell if that's better or worse.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 333