Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469319 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4275 on: December 06, 2019, 06:24:15 pm »

Yeah I guess you can just hit a button and go nap, or whatnot.

Sounds legit.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: December 06, 2019, 07:12:07 pm »

Thanks for the hot drink ideas, guys. I'm running some movie nights leading up to Christmas and some of these will go to good use. I lived in Poland for a spell and drank mulled wine probably every day for two months leading up to Christmas.

I've used rice cookers in the past - they've done me well. I've had small apartments for the past 5 years and kitchen space has been in short supply. With generally only one stovetop, a rice cooker can prepare a starch with zero effort in another room while I cook the main stuff on the stove. They're convenient set and forget things - though all of mine wojuld make rice awfully dry if I didn't eat it within half an hour of cooking.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: December 06, 2019, 07:32:32 pm »

They're faster, simpler/easier/require less attention, can be plugged in pretty much wherever, and can keep it warm afterwards without burning it to the bottom... So yeah. Like I said, it's certainly not impossible to make good rice without one... But damn if it doesn't make it more convenient.

Also let's not forget that the people who invented rice, Asians, use a fuckload of rice cookers; and I'm pretty sure they know more about it than we do!

/s

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: December 06, 2019, 10:49:54 pm »

I could include - those 5 years have been in Asia. They're common among bachelors and students, but proper houses tend to make rice the right way: by getting grandma to do it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: December 10, 2019, 02:50:38 pm »

I know I was joking about anise candy canes (I wasn't joking, if you know where I can get some that look like normal candy canes, hook me up), but this is an abomination:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: December 10, 2019, 02:53:55 pm »

The eyes are a window to the soul.

~Egg Santa, as he devours yours.

TBH tho they are sorta cute.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: December 10, 2019, 03:23:14 pm »

Those 68-packs of mini spring rolls were half price again.
Aw hell yeah. Also I ate a kebab yesterday. The jury is still out as to whether it had anything to do with the chaos that erupted in my digestive tract shortly afterwards. It was dang tasty either way. *shrug*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: December 10, 2019, 03:27:53 pm »

Those 68-packs of mini spring rolls were half price again.
Aw hell yeah. Also I ate a kebab yesterday. The jury is still out as to whether it had anything to do with the chaos that erupted in my digestive tract shortly afterwards. It was dang tasty either way. *shrug*

Damn. I *could* go for 68 spring rolls and a kebab.

And my digestive issues are just my stomach being all "Waaaah. There was too much butter in that Popeye's biscuit, and you ate one yesterday as well. Waaaah." If it keeps this up, I'm getting the ice cream maker out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: December 10, 2019, 05:36:38 pm »

This is now the digestive troubles thread. That's part of chemistry, right?

I think the container of Sabra hummus I bought last week has some issues. I know a couple years ago they had a big recall for contamination. Bought one container of roasted garlic hummus a few weeks ago and was fine. This container however.....last two times I've eaten it the results have not been pleasant. I don't know if it's the hummus or some other unrelated digestive malaise, and tbh, I'm a little unwilling to experiment further.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: December 10, 2019, 07:00:11 pm »

I know I was joking about anise candy canes (I wasn't joking, if you know where I can get some that look like normal candy canes, hook me up), but this is an abomination:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So far, this is the closest I could find...

https://hammondscandies.com/collections/candy-canes/products/naughty-or-nice-candy-cane

It's a mixed bag of strawberry flavored ones, and black licorice (close enough to anise for the job) flavored ones, identically colored.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: December 11, 2019, 02:04:04 pm »

Benefits of cooking while inebriated: Everything goes a lot faster.

Downsides of cooking while inebriated: Everything goes a lot faster than you think it's going.

Rice is currently burned on the bottom because I didn't attend to it in time. Time to bring out my inner Persian and say that it was intentional.

Ba salamati?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: December 11, 2019, 03:33:11 pm »

So far, this is the closest I could find...

https://hammondscandies.com/collections/candy-canes/products/naughty-or-nice-candy-cane

It's a mixed bag of strawberry flavored ones, and black licorice (close enough to anise for the job) flavored ones, identically colored.

I though about those, but $3/cane is expensive.

Benefits of cooking while inebriated: Everything goes a lot faster.

Downsides of cooking while inebriated: Everything goes a lot faster than you think it's going.

Rice is currently burned on the bottom because I didn't attend to it in time. Time to bring out my inner Persian and say that it was intentional.

Apathy: the cause of, and solution to

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: December 11, 2019, 07:54:31 pm »

Protip on cooking rice: pull it off the stove just a touch early. Take the lid off, give it a good stir, then put the lid back on and let it sit. It will steam off the remaining liquid with residual heat without the risk of overcooking / burning. As long as you don’t take it off too early that is.

Also, putting a paper towel between the pot and the lid really helps create a tight seal and keeps the steam in.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:24:53 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: December 12, 2019, 04:53:09 am »

Right, I know about fluffing and letting the moisture distribute, the issue comes with the fact that my stovetop has two burners that take several minutes (as in, a range between 20-30 minutes) to adjust to temperature changes. So if I turn off a burner, it's still going to be hot and cooking for half an hour, and if I turn on a cold burner it's going to be a very slow and gradual increase until it hits high temp.

Needless to say, this makes the finer points of pot rice a bit... Sticky.

And as for taking things completely off and putting it somewhere else, I have 30cm2 of counter space... A fair amount of which is taken up by cutlery, seeing as I don't have any drawers.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: December 12, 2019, 06:05:43 am »

What if you put your stuff on top of each other? Putting your rice pot in a "bain-marie" when it is almost ready should help with preventing it from burning due to your burner's residual heat, while keeping it warm.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 333