Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477183 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4335 on: January 02, 2020, 02:02:50 pm »

Doesn't curry specifically refer to a sauce with yoghurt?
Nope! Although that's probably one of the most popular example styles in the west, it's not an exclusive distinction. Plenty of light, more savory curries out there (but I'd hazard a guess that most do at least use ghee, because ghee is magic and one of the four basic food groups along with curd, rice, and salt).

Salsa is just sauce, but Curry is either from Old English for Cuisine, or Tamil (Kari) for charcoal. Neither of those tells anyone anything, so you have to go with the understood meaning as opposed to defined meaning.
The split comes when the defined meaning in Europe/America is different and more specific than the defined meaning in India (or Thailand for that matter, but I don't know anything about that). In India, curry just means sauce. No, it doesn't tell anyone anything. Neither does "masala", which means "mix (of ingredients/spices)". You're still going to be offered masala dosa or thali with multiple curries. Which curries? What masala? Pffft, fuck you, eat it and find out!

We'd regularly eat lunch at a place that served rice with curry, masala, dal, fry, pickle, and sweet. "Dal" is the most descriptive of any of those, since it infers that the food article will contain lentils of some form. Details beyond that are guesswork. Fry means anything that's been fried. Pickle is... Pickle is pickle. I don't really know how to describe it offhand. Sweet is, you guessed it, some kind of dessert.

Everything changed wildly on a daily basis, but they still fit within the bounds of those categories... Because those categories are nebulous as fuck and aren't really even expected to tell you anything about what you're gonna eat.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: January 03, 2020, 03:20:12 am »

Also note there are plenty of Asian curries, such as found in Thai or Japanese cuisine. Indian style curry is just one of a variety of options out there. Also, curry powder is usually made of a mix of turmeric, chilli powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, ground ginger and pepper. There's so much variation in curry, you could eat a different kind every day of the week for a month and not have scratched the surface.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: January 03, 2020, 05:37:38 am »

Fun fact (might not be factual):
Japanese curry was brought with English navy officers who stayed and wanted 'a taste of home', referring to the Indian curry served in the UK. That's why Japanese curry is basically a gravy. It's also why Japanese curry is fucking awful.

Also, I'd kill for a masala dosa right now.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: January 03, 2020, 06:41:15 am »

Wouldn't we all, brother... Wouldn't we all.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: January 03, 2020, 08:27:06 am »

Last time I was in Hong Kong, I bypassed all the Cantonese food for dosa in Tsim Sha Tsui.

Anyway, here's a recipe for mapodoufu, which is sort of like tofu in curry. Not sure where you'll get doubanjiang, but if you can this is a solid easy meal. I skip the pork since I'm veg. Sichuan peppercorns (花椒 huājiāo) are hard to cook with. They make your mouth tingle, but have an excellent tart flavor comporable to pine. If you do it right, it brings out all the other spices. If you do it wrong, your tongue feels tingly. Still not bad.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/260112/mapo-doufu/

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: January 03, 2020, 01:09:55 pm »

Could also go in the drunk thread, but it's food chemistry-related so I'm putting it here.

I bought Abuelita (I couldn't find Ibarra) chocolate and canned coconut milk (it's thicker than the bottled stuff for whatever reason). Tomorrow night I'll have non-dairy hot chocolate, with a bit of spiced rum to thin it out.

Well, we do have a good south Indian place here that serves them. This is a joke, I don't need someone killed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: January 03, 2020, 01:34:14 pm »

I don't. I have yet to find a single decent tiffins place in Norway... There was, miraculously, a tiny little south Indian place just across town, but the guy who owned the place went to work in another restaurant's kitchen so they closed down...

Sadface.

EDIT: And I just checked the menu of the new place he's working at... $20 for a single serving (only $17 for veggie dishes!), and they don't even have chole bhatura... Which was kinda the whole reason I went to the old place.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: January 04, 2020, 07:24:09 am »

I live in Southwestern China, so I can find decent Indian food whenever I travel (All of SEA is within a few hours by flight, and hell - India itself isn't that far) but it's shocking to me that there's only one Indian restaurant in my city. Hell, everywhere else I've lived has had at least 3 within the city.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: January 04, 2020, 04:54:41 pm »

Given the inherent tensions between the two nations and China's policy of spreading Han Chinese influence into their outer territories, I'm not too surprised by that observation.

Then again, this isn't the politics thread, and I don't have first-hand experience, so instead I'm simply going to say that I'm really enjoying green coffee kombucha recently instead of instant coffee. Great buzz, slower tail, doesn't seem to give you the coffee shits an hour later.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: January 05, 2020, 05:11:08 am »

Southwestern China has arguably the best chili and spice in the country. Other food that relies on chili and spice might not stand out much. Japanese food, on the opposite of spice and chili, is somewhat popular there among foreign restaurants.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: January 05, 2020, 12:33:06 pm »

Could also go in the drunk thread, but it's food chemistry-related so I'm putting it here.

I bought Abuelita (I couldn't find Ibarra) chocolate and canned coconut milk (it's thicker than the bottled stuff for whatever reason). Tomorrow night I'll have non-dairy hot chocolate, with a bit of spiced rum to thin it out.

Trip Report:
First try was done entirely in the double-boiler (a pot that sits on another pot, the lower pot only has water boiling in it to heat up the upper pot). It was gritty, and settled out. Pretty good, though.
Second try was me warming the chocolate to soften it in the double-boiler, then adding the coconut milk and simmering it on the burner directly. This was a major improvement in the texture. The extra heat is necessary.

Also, depending on how spiced your spiced rum is (and with what flavors), added cinnamon, ground cloves, and chili powder (enough that you notice it was added, but not enough to quite taste it) is a good idea.

Southwestern China has arguably the best chili and spice in the country. Other food that relies on chili and spice might not stand out much. Japanese food, on the opposite of spice and chili, is somewhat popular there among foreign restaurants.

Thai Curry, being made from coconut and as much spice as is reasonable, is the best curry. I'm saying that as someone planning on going to one of the Indian restaurants nearby in a few hours.

Edit: I also made my hot chocolate with boxed (dried) coconut cream for completeness. You know how everyone loves gritty drinks that go down like sandpaper? Powdered coconut cream is like canned coconut milk, except more effort and more grittiness/sandpaper mouthfeel. Fuck that shit if you're not making curry.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 03:30:02 pm by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: January 15, 2020, 02:20:31 pm »

Poptarts full of nacho cheese. The end.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #4347 on: January 15, 2020, 02:24:53 pm »

Isn't that just a Hot Pocket?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: January 15, 2020, 03:04:03 pm »

Isn't that just a Hot Pocket?

Huh. That does sound like a flat hot pocket. One way to find out. Except, the weird canned nacho cheese instead of peanut butter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: January 15, 2020, 03:07:03 pm »

Thai Curry, being made from coconut and as much spice as is reasonable, is the best curry. I'm saying that as someone planning on going to one of the Indian restaurants nearby in a few hours.
Yes this is correct.  Subjective but correct.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 333