Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 476912 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4350 on: January 27, 2020, 09:34:42 pm »

I went shopping while hungry and now I own kimchi and don't know what to do with it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: January 27, 2020, 09:43:31 pm »

Use it as a gag gift?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: January 27, 2020, 09:56:53 pm »

Made Focaccia bread this weekend with a friend.

Messed up the first batch because we got the proportions wrong on the Semolina flour and had to toss out the dough ball.

Second batch went pretty well. I can't claim times were uh, completely accurately followed.

But it came out pretty decent. She seemed to really like it, I was a bit more critical. But I think that had a lot to do with the sea salt the recipe called for sprinkled over the top. I dunno what it is, maybe I'm just sensitive to salt, but once I crunched into one of those flakes, I couldn't taste anything else.

If I had to do it over I'd:

a) not knead the shit out of it so much. I think the texture was fine but I expected it to be, I dunno, softer.

b) Would spread it more evenly across the pan. In an effort to get it square the edges got kinda thin, and therefore crispy. I'd try to keep a consistent depth across the whole thing next time.

c) Definitely would not use Sea Salt flakes next time. I would much rather just go with table salt so it's not a minefield of saltiness.

d) I'd probably play with more ingredients. Rather than Rosemany we used garlic, oregano, basil. (You know, classic Italian shit.) Also sliced black olives on top. I may just have been too drunk, but I don't know if the flavors came across. Did I not use enough? Was it all drowned in the olive oil? I dunno. Recipes seem kinda restrained for what they put in focaccia, but I think if I were to try again, I might be more adventurous. Grated asiago cheese over the top to finish, maybe some actual garlic thrown in the dough rather than garlic powder. All sorts of stuff you could load it up with, although after you've poked holes in it, I don't know how much weight or grease or w/e the dough would actually support.

Anyways, stupidly easy to make, took about 3 hours which is almost all proofing and rising time, lots of stuff you can do with it. Would recommend. Have at least half a bottle of olive oil on hand, it compromises like 70% of the calories in the thing. I got my recipes from the Food Wishes channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AmALM0liI0
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:02:06 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: January 28, 2020, 08:39:40 am »

Recipes seem kinda restrained for what they put in focaccia, but I think if I were to try again, I might be more adventurous. Grated asiago cheese over the top to finish, maybe some actual garlic thrown in the dough rather than garlic powder. All sorts of stuff you could load it up with, although after you've poked holes in it, I don't know how much weight or grease or w/e the dough would actually support.

Ooh, the cheese would help add the salt flavor back in. I think focaccia is supposed to be salty, but I agree it's usually saltier than I want.

a) not knead the shit out of it so much. I think the texture was fine but I expected it to be, I dunno, softer.

I learned with pizza dough that over-kneaded (gluteny, which will become stretchy and chewy) bread can be softened by letting it rest and rise a bit. That will also make it easier to stretch to fit the pan. Works with pizza dough, although I'll sometimes leave that in the fridge for a day or two.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: January 28, 2020, 12:27:58 pm »

It did an hour of raising and 45 minutes of proofing. I suppose it could have gone longer without hurting anything. I dunno. I'm more or less a bread novice, just only really made pizza dough regularly before, so I need to refine my technique I think.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: January 28, 2020, 01:13:29 pm »

Yeah, and pizza dough gets stretched thin enough that too much kneading doesn't really show up in the final product.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: January 28, 2020, 01:42:48 pm »

Yeah, and pizza dough gets stretched thin enough that too much kneading doesn't really show up in the final product.
You underestimate how much I knead a pizza right now.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: January 28, 2020, 03:18:51 pm »

I have finally mastered my version of fried rice. It's pretty standard but I did it myself so I am proud.

I add onions, egg, and peas. I use sesame oil, soy sauce, and a bit of hoisin sauce to flavor the rice. I don't own a wok so it gets put in a deep pan at high heat and gets fluffed constantly.

It's super delicious.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: January 28, 2020, 04:21:21 pm »

I do:

Chicken
Peas
Spinach
Onion
Mushrooms
Soy Sauce
Sesame Oil
A dash of Rice Wine Vinegar
Chicken Bouillon
Salt
Garlic Powder
Black Pepper
Butter

Trick I learned was to cook the rice first and let it cool so it gets sticky.

Then do all your ingredients in the skillet. When the rice goes in so do the wet seasonings.

And most importantly, right before it's done you finish it with butter.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: January 28, 2020, 04:54:07 pm »

I don't do the butter, but the rest is basically it.

I do add chicken as well, when I have it. I add a bit of wine to the chicken when cooking. I also use fresh garlic.

The spinach sounds like a great idea.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: January 28, 2020, 05:48:34 pm »

Dude the butter is the magic ingredient. (That and Chicken Bouillon.)

Two slats of butter is well worth the calories for what it does for the flavor.

Admittedly I got this from a channel that was like "how to make restaurant quality fried rice" and several videos agreed that finishing with butter is what gives it that restaurant quality and flavor.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: January 28, 2020, 07:05:59 pm »

I've always given a bit more of the sesame oil than normal to try and achieve that but...

I might make fried rice tonight and chuck some butter up in it. I'll let you know what I think!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: January 29, 2020, 08:43:28 am »

You underestimate how much I knead a pizza right now.

*golf clap*

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: January 29, 2020, 02:41:13 pm »

My wife gave me food last night. Tonight is flied ice nite.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: February 07, 2020, 11:50:03 am »

Today I made chili con a little less carne con home-made queso; and I saw that it was good
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 333