Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 475586 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4395 on: March 20, 2020, 08:59:44 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: March 20, 2020, 09:15:50 pm »

I got requested to cook western food. I'm happy to, but can't think of anything I can make in a wok that's not asian fusion at least.

Also, no dairy here except eggs. And boy, that video really makes it look nice. Add about two cups of oil to get a more accurate picture of how they've been cooking here...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: March 22, 2020, 12:24:24 pm »

Grocery stores are locked down enough that they may as well be closed, so no fresh fruit, meat, bread, or vegetables for the foreseeable future. I've got some flour, so hopefully my yeast is still good.

Waht the hell is rum ham that sounds ungodly.

We have a comedy TV show (so probably Online somewhere) about 4 terrible idiots in Philadelphia, called It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. 2 of them tried to get around the no alcohol at the beach rule by making a rum-infused ham and eating that. That attracted wild dogs, so they got on a raft and ate their ham in the ocean, without first anchoring the raft...

The first few seasons were...not always good at making it clear that they have bad opinions because people with those opinions are terrible, but the newer seasons have been better and except for one season, funnier.

Also, no dairy here except eggs.

Eggs are what now?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: March 24, 2020, 03:09:13 am »

Eggs are raw meat, same as honey and other forms of dairy.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: March 24, 2020, 04:04:17 am »

Do not start that argument, please. I like eating food and being alive, I don’t want to stop yet.

Our shops are still open, though the people working there are now wearing various articles of anti-disease clothing. Most people are stocking up anyway, myself included. I’ll probably be baking my own bread by the end of this.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: March 24, 2020, 05:18:13 am »

Wait, are eggs not dairy? I thought dairy included dairy (milk and by products) and eggs.

I recommend stuff that you can cycle down. At the end of whatever you make, veggies can be mashed into patties and cooked similar to burgers. Good for using scraps or something you're sick of eating. Cover it with bread and ketchup.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:20:30 am by delphonso »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: March 24, 2020, 05:19:53 am »

No.  Just milk and byproducts.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: March 24, 2020, 07:53:51 am »

Time to start adapting recipes. No fresh foods anymore, unless I stand in line all day to go shopping. I'm trying rice and beans with a can of tomatoes and chilies instead of the normal onion and peppers, as that's the only vegetable I have.

When I was working in a grocery store, a coworker told me she thought eggs were dairy, because they "came from" chickens the same way as milk comes from cows. She freaked out when she learned that eggs were, in fact, chicken fetuses and quit eating them. I didn't realize she was unaware of that.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: March 24, 2020, 08:46:01 am »

Apparently this is a common mistake. Probably because eggs are in the "dairy" section in supermarkets. I feel bad for this mistake, since I'm from America's Dairyland.

Eggs aren't fetuses - they're eggs. Almost never fertilized, which is why I eat them as a vegetarian. I also eat fish roe, when it comes up.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: March 24, 2020, 11:00:55 am »

I only soaked the beans for the rice and beans for ~2.5 days, so a few are too close to crunchy. Mostly everything tastes like tomato anyway, so whatever. It's food, and it's good enough for a few days.

Apparently this is a common mistake. Probably because eggs are in the "dairy" section in supermarkets. I feel bad for this mistake, since I'm from America's Dairyland.

Eggs aren't fetuses - they're eggs. Almost never fertilized, which is why I eat them as a vegetarian. I also eat fish roe, when it comes up.

That's where I was living when the coworker told me that. Also, yes, eggs are eggs, but trying to explain that to someone without that knowledge is a bit circular.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: March 26, 2020, 11:34:03 am »

I made fresh pasta. Now I didn't use any pasta making machine and all I can say is that doing it by hand wasn't worth the effort (~3h total). They were decent enough but not that much better to the store bought ones to justify doing it again for any other reason other than for shits and giggles.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: March 26, 2020, 11:41:25 am »

I made fresh pasta. Now I didn't use any pasta making machine and all I can say is that doing it by hand wasn't worth the effort (~3h total). They were decent enough but not that much better to the store bought ones to justify doing it again for any other reason other than for shits and giggles.

Yeah, if I was awesome at it like the pasta-making lady on the Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat show (and, currently had any way of getting eggs or any sort of sauce), I'd definitely do it. I guess it's cheaper than store-bought, but my time theoretically has some value. Better than dried, anyway.

I'd like to make bread, but running my oven in the summer is a bad idea; my air conditioner is already running most of the time.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: March 26, 2020, 11:48:02 am »

Homemade bread is great. Homemade sourdough bread is even better, it has a way better taste than any store bought bread I've ever eaten.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: March 26, 2020, 12:05:34 pm »

I love sourdough but it's definitely to taste. I know some people that can't stand it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: March 26, 2020, 12:07:25 pm »

Sourdough is best bread.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 333