Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477480 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4410 on: March 26, 2020, 12:52:19 pm »

I love sourdough but it's definitely to taste. I know some people that can't stand it.

That's a good way to know which people are terrible and should not be allowed opinions about food.

Sourdough is best bread.

This is correct.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: March 26, 2020, 12:59:04 pm »

I'd like to make bread, but running my oven in the summer is a bad idea; my air conditioner is already running most of the time.

Bake it at night maybe?  Unless it's sweltering even at night.

Unrelated, but I managed to set a tea bag on fire while making tea yesterday.  The little tab at the end of the string was dangling a little too close to the stove eye...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: March 26, 2020, 01:04:05 pm »

I'd like to make bread, but running my oven in the summer is a bad idea; my air conditioner is already running most of the time.

It's supposed to be ~19 C/66 F at the coolest point of the night (right at dawn). Looks like Sunday morning before dawn will be tolerable, except the for the being awake at that hour portion. Good advice, thank you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: March 26, 2020, 01:18:18 pm »

Unrelated, but I managed to set a tea bag on fire while making tea yesterday.  The little tab at the end of the string was dangling a little too close to the stove eye...

You put the teabag in while it's still on the stove?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: March 26, 2020, 01:25:12 pm »

You put the teabag in while it's still on the stove?

I think tea is supposed to be added to boiling water. I have seen people (in the US only) add it to slightly warm water and try to get that to work. But I have also seen people (again, in the US) add the boiling water to a plastic gallon (~2 liter) pitcher, put in 2-3 of the cheapest tea bags (including the paper tag on the end of the string) into the pitcher, and add sugar until it's cloudy and brownish. Then then chill it and think that, instead of being horribly ashamed of their life decisions, they made something you could reasonably consume.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: March 26, 2020, 01:43:58 pm »

Yeah, I normally just make tea with the little mixes that you can add to cold water, but decided to buy it in bulk and make it like normal people.  It said to add to boiling water, so I put it in the pot while it was on the stove top and still hot.  I wasn't sure if it needed to actually boil for a while or if just being hot enough was good enough so I left it there for a minute, and that's what I got for my trouble.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: March 26, 2020, 01:52:00 pm »

I thought you are supposed to put the tea into warm but not boiling water ~70-80 C.

Also don't put boiling water to just any plastic containers. If the container's walls are too thin it might get pierced or shrunk and you might get yourself burned from the spill (it happened to me with certain soda bottles when i tried to make a bed warmer) and if you are going to consume whatever you put inside you have to make sure that said plastic won't degrade/defuse into the liquid ( I think HDPE is the current standard for high temperature food grade polymers).
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: March 26, 2020, 02:03:41 pm »

Uhm, I boil water, put it in a tea kettle, then put my tea bags in. I didn't realize that makes me some kind of philistine in the tea world.

Sounds safer than draping combustible products over your stove though :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: March 26, 2020, 02:07:31 pm »

The tea crowd is going to crucify us for using tea bags anyway

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: March 26, 2020, 02:12:05 pm »

I boil my water and pour it into a cup with a teabag, nothing more complicated than that. Sometimes I’ll stick a few teabags into a teapot and pour in some water if I want lots o’ tea.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: March 26, 2020, 03:05:45 pm »

The tea crowd is going to crucify us for using tea bags anyway

Also, your body, for the plastics you're ingesting.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: March 26, 2020, 03:12:06 pm »

Different kinds of teas "should" be steeped in different temperatures of water, for different amounts of time. Herbals are all over the place, black tea can usually withstand higher temperatures than green tea which can be damaged by near-boiling temps, and who the fuck even knows what kukicha is.

But as it turns out, most people don't know shit about tea and are perfectly fine putting some sort of vaguely hot water into a mug and leaving the bag in until the last drop. Like me.

I have a friend who's a massive coffee nerd and she's turned some attentions toward tea in recent months as well. Hence why I get to know about these things and how I'm doing it wrong.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: March 26, 2020, 03:40:50 pm »

People drink hot coffee/tea because they like hot water but are too afraid to drink it by itself #changemymind#fightme

But as it turns out, most people don't know shit about tea and are perfectly fine putting some sort of vaguely hot water into a mug and leaving the bag in until the last drop. Like me.

I don't know shit about tea and I often just leave the bag inside until the end too

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: March 26, 2020, 06:23:30 pm »

I drink my tea

iced.

* Sirus flees
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: March 26, 2020, 09:44:35 pm »

Ok so you know how sometimes with spaghetti you end up with no more noodles but there is still some meat and sauce left over?

Last time the mother-in-law made spaghetti she did some quick and easy provolone cheesetoast as well so after I ran out of noodles I scooped the last of the meat/sauce on one half of the toast and put the other on top to make a surprisingly nomnom sammich but I didn't know what to call it.

Since spaghetti is at least supposed to be pseudo-italian and the sammich resembles a sloppy joe I was spitballing names when the missus did the thing.

She says "sloppy guido?" and damned if that isn't the best one.

So now when I eat spaghetti I "finish it off with a sloppy guido" which is in no way a crude sexual joke how dare you sir?
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 333