Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477801 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4470 on: April 19, 2020, 04:35:30 pm »

Well, I had to look up "scotch bonnet" and saw that wikipedia says:
Most Scotch bonnets have a heat rating of 80,000–400,000 Scoville units.
Habanero chilis are very hot, rated 100,000–350,000 on the Scoville scale.
Although, those both ultimately cite the same page which puts them both in the same range - 350,000–855,000.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: April 19, 2020, 07:10:26 pm »

Well, I had to look up "scotch bonnet" and saw that wikipedia says:
Most Scotch bonnets have a heat rating of 80,000–400,000 Scoville units.
Habanero chilis are very hot, rated 100,000–350,000 on the Scoville scale.
Although, those both ultimately cite the same page which puts them both in the same range - 350,000–855,000.

Similar levels of spice, but I don't know about flavor. I know habanero goes great with citrus or fruit flavors, but I've never eaten a scotch bonnet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: April 26, 2020, 09:52:40 am »

Made apple and blackberry pie.

Yum.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: April 26, 2020, 10:12:15 am »

Yum.

That does sound good. What kind of crust did you make?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: April 30, 2020, 09:04:21 am »

I made a jerk chicken pizza. It was fine, but not great. I need to make it spicier next time, which is easily do-able. The other issue will need a lot more effort, though.

Jerk seasoning is pretty much a thick and gritty paste that's supposed to stick to the chicken. It doesn't make a good sauce, which is something a pizza needs. I'm wondering if I should try to make the seasoning paste more of a sauce by adding something to it, or just try other types of pizzas instead.

Mango and habanero go great together, and both go well with chicken. Maybe some sort of pizza based on that?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: May 01, 2020, 05:57:34 am »

Yum.

That does sound good. What kind of crust did you make?
It was short pastry. I tend to make it with much less sugar than most (all that I've seen) recipes.

Yesterday was muffin day. I zested and squeezed an orange into the mix. Turned out well.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: May 03, 2020, 10:24:07 am »

I tried to find a way to improve the other half of the jerk chicken paste I made, so it would make a good pizza sauce. I checked about a dozen recipes for the sauce, all of which were for pizzas using a jerk chicken sauce. The internet was a mistake.

I added some tomato and water to the sauce to make it more liquid and less gritty.

It was short pastry. I tend to make it with much less sugar than most (all that I've seen) recipes.

Yesterday was muffin day. I zested and squeezed an orange into the mix. Turned out well.

I will have to try a short pastry next time I do pies. It sounds like a butter crust with maybe less effort? Orange muffin also sounds good.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: May 03, 2020, 10:26:56 am »

I also like to jerk my chicken
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: May 03, 2020, 07:26:01 pm »

Success!

Some tomato paste and water made my jerk chicken paste into a sauce.

I can now recommend jerk chicken pizza.

Crust:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/172/Pan-Pizza
For wheat dough, add 25% more milk/water, and 50% more oil. Also, note that this dough makes 2 pizzas. And also that you should kneed it much more if you plan on fermenting it (making a sourdough).

Chicken + Sauce:
https://myjamaicanrecipes.com/real-jamaican-jerk-chicken-recipe/
Throw ~1 tomato or can of tomato at it as well, it will be wetter, but that's good for a pizza. Habanero ~= scotch bonnet. Also, halve the amount of chicken. You want some sauce to cover the pizzas.
Blend the paste real good, because you don't need seeds changing the average level of spice.

Cook the dough a bit first. Either by putting it on a pizza stone while you make it, or partially baking it before you toss sauce and toppings on. Doesn't need much, just enough to make it possible to move without tearing.

Put some sauce in the middle, spread it with a spoon, repeat until all but the edges are sauced (you've seen a pizza), put ~1/3 of the cheese on it so the toppings don't pull off when you bite into it, put all of the toppings you want on (jerked chicken, bell peppers, maybe more onion? whatever), cover with the rest of the cheese. Bake at the highest temperature your oven will allow for 10-15 minutes. Pull out, and let it rest before enjoying (unless you like burning and degloving your mouth, I don't judge).

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: May 10, 2020, 04:52:59 am »

Frying up some black n’ white pudding for elevenses.

Some people say that Black pudding is best enjoyed by people who don’t know how its made. I think that’s silly. If you’re going to eat animals every day, you should be able to accept where it came from, and at the end of the day, blood is perfectly edible, and if you’re going to waste it, you’re doing something wrong.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:04:20 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: May 10, 2020, 09:16:31 am »

Some people say that Black pudding is best enjoyed by people who don’t know how its made. I think that’s silly. If you’re going to eat animals every day, you should be able to accept where it came from, and at the end of the day, blood is perfectly edible, and if you’re going to waste it, you’re doing something wrong.

Yes, but being with black pudding makes me wonder a bit much about what you made the white pudding out of.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: May 10, 2020, 09:35:58 am »

White blood cells, of course
Love, scriver~

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: May 10, 2020, 11:16:23 am »

Black pudding is made of blood.
White pudding is made of antiblood.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: May 10, 2020, 11:51:11 am »

Reverse vampire blood
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: May 10, 2020, 04:28:02 pm »

At the Pho place I go to (or went before they closed down indefinitely because of Corona), they'd serve me blood. They just pour in pipping hot broth and it cooks up very quickly into, well, cooked blood. It's great stuff. I agree that if you're going to eat meat, you might as well cut right to the source DA POWAH. Blood and Organ meats are something the average Western palette isn't wired for, but it's by far some of the most nutritious resources of the animal.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 333