Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477751 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2012, 04:07:29 pm »

Planning on making some spaghetti sandwiches tomorrow.  Carbs + carbs + meat + tomato sauce?  Yes please.  Turned out quite well last time I tried, if more than a bit messy.  We'll see how it goes this time.

Tonight though, eating leftover BBQ my mom made.  Absolutely delicious.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2012, 04:34:38 pm »

Planning on making some spaghetti sandwiches tomorrow.  Carbs + carbs + meat + tomato sauce?  Yes please.  Turned out quite well last time I tried, if more than a bit messy.  We'll see how it goes this time.
I have an unnatural fondness for spaghetti sandwiches. Get some buffet style noodles and rolls, you can't go wrong. Unless it's a very formal dinner, I guess.

I've been trying to teach myself all the basic egg preparations. Lately I've been making omelets. Tougher than they look, let me tell you, or maybe I've just got no sense of eggs.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2012, 04:35:45 pm »

Damn you spaghetti lovers.

Now I have to make some spaghetti tomorrow (propably bolognese, haven't had that for a while).
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2012, 04:44:29 pm »

Speaking of spaghetti, there's this one mix that's great for summer. Involves vegetables like corn, some olives, peppers, paprikas or anything else that you might fancy, some tuna and all covered in desired amount of ketchup/spicy sauce of personal choice. It's great when cold, filling and light enough that you can munch it down in the biggest heat :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2012, 04:47:58 pm »

I'm a pasta snob (but I'm Italian so I reserve that right.) Not really a fan of spaghetti anymore. I prefer Rotini, Rigatoni or just about any pasta with some character. I care enough that I think my pasta dishes actually taste different based on what shape it's in.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:41:07 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »

Cold spaghetti? Error.

Fish in spaghetti? Error.

Sorry Jopax, but appears that when, by ultimately tiny chance, I would eat at you, I won't order spaghetti :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 05:17:42 pm »

I care enough that I think my pasta dishse actually taste different based on what shape it's in.
I'm far from a pasta snob but I'll definitely agree with you. Texture matters a hell of a lot with pasta dishes. I can't stand spaghetti noodles that are too thin or too mushy; they have to be exactly the right firmness.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 05:23:16 pm »

I care enough that I think my pasta dishse actually taste different based on what shape it's in.
I'm far from a pasta snob but I'll definitely agree with you. Texture matters a hell of a lot with pasta dishes. I can't stand spaghetti noodles that are too thin or too mushy; they have to be exactly the right firmness.

I like the spiral pasta best.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 05:25:49 pm »

I like the spiral pasta best.

Angelhair spaghetti is great, but spiral pasta is good too. So are the hollow tube ones (too lazy to practice my googlefu). And now I'm hungry. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 05:41:31 pm »

Angel hair is nice but you have to actually cook it with some attention otherwise it turns into a lump.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 06:39:48 pm »

Penne is where it's at.

Related; carbonara. Yes, it's one of the simplest pasta dishes known to man, but good god is it delicious when done right. I use it as one of my two basic tests for a new restaurant (the other is salt and pepper squid); because the recipe is so simple, if they know their stuff, it's delicious. If they don't, you can tell straight away.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Cyprinus

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2012, 07:10:11 pm »

x
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:27:54 pm by Cyprinus »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2012, 08:21:46 pm »

Penne is where it's at.

Related; carbonara. Yes, it's one of the simplest pasta dishes known to man, but good god is it delicious when done right. I use it as one of my two basic tests for a new restaurant (the other is salt and pepper squid); because the recipe is so simple, if they know their stuff, it's delicious. If they don't, you can tell straight away.
True dat. Seen too many places that just dump some alfredo on noodles, stick a few pieces of ham in it and call it carbonara. I was okay with that until I took some cooking lessons with an old Italian grandmotherly type, and she walked me through fixing an honest-to-god carbonara. I was stirring that egg like a boss cause I was afraid if any of it clumped I was going to get lectured in high-speed Italian. And it was glorious when it was done.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2012, 09:43:51 pm »

It never occured to me that spaghetti sandwiches are actually a thing.  Obviously I put spaghetti on bread or force it into rolls if I have to, but I just never thought of it as a sandwich.  I have spaghetti like all the time though.  Probably once a week because it's so easy to make.  Just have to make sure I've got feta for it, because I'm addicted to that stuff on any pasta now.  And I used to have black olives with spaghetti too, but I kinda moved away from that.  Everybody in one of my friend's family would put sour cream on theres, and now I'm curious what sides other people have with spaghetti.

On the topic of other pastas, I've only tried to make angel hair pasta once and it came out so terrible that I never tried again.  I think I boiled it too long or something.  I've also stopped using fettuccine in my fettuccine alfredo because I'm just awful at cooking it.  There must be some secret to keeping the noodles from sticking, and I'm not Italian enough to know it.  I just switched to penne instead.  They've got a similar flavor because they're thick, but the ridges and the tube shape really help hold the sauce. If I was really fancy(or actually good at cooking), I'd make the sauce myself, but I just buy it and that's good enough for me.

Eating roast beef with potatoes, onions, and carrots right now.  Very basic, and probably my absolute favorite food.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2012, 09:53:04 pm »

On the topic of other pastas, I've only tried to make angel hair pasta once and it came out so terrible that I never tried again.  I think I boiled it too long or something.  I've also stopped using fettuccine in my fettuccine alfredo because I'm just awful at cooking it.  There must be some secret to keeping the noodles from sticking, and I'm not Italian enough to know it.  I just switched to penne instead.  They've got a similar flavor because they're thick, but the ridges and the tube shape really help hold the sauce. If I was really fancy(or actually good at cooking), I'd make the sauce myself, but I just buy it and that's good enough for me.

A dash of oil in the water when you set it on the stove. Keep the water at a rolling boil after the pasta goes in (like the surface is just on the verge of really boiling.) Stir frequently with a fork. In the case of Angel Hair, you gotta make sure it gets separated before it really starts cooking. When you put it in the water, don't just grab a fist-full and toss it all in like you do spaghetti. Slowly let it out of your hand and spin your hand so they kind of fall criss-cross over each other.

Otherwise it welds together into a solid mass of "I ain't eating that" in just a minute or two. You also gotta stir it frequently (but gently) because Angel Hair is so fine, it'll stick to the bottom of the pan if it sits still.

To the same token, you can't cook it too long because it's very thin and cooks quickly compared to spaghetti, and it turns to rice if it goes too long. That's why I don't make Angel Hair hardly ever. You just have to finesse it and it's annoying.

I hate Fettuccine and Linguini too, personally. I just don't like the texture and I'll always under cook it. I'll test a few, they'll be good, I'll strain it and throw some sauce on...and then three bites in I start crunching into uncooked pasta. Argh.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:01:33 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 333