Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477400 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4515 on: June 22, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've seen some of them super fancy chefs on the TV actually use Bog Butter as a component in their special pre-fixe meals
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: June 22, 2020, 02:37:39 pm »

Tried making my own soup stock from leftover vegetable cuttings that were frozen down instead of thrown away.

First time trying to make stock, didn't work out that well! I now have three tupperware containers of undersalted carrot juice with cinnamon notes...

Ah well. Live and learn and all that?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: June 22, 2020, 02:43:39 pm »

I've never tried to make stock. How do you guys do it? I think having some chicken stock or vegetable stock around would be a huge benefit to my cooking.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: June 22, 2020, 02:50:54 pm »

Isn't chicken stock just chicken bones + aromatic veg (onions/carrots/celery) + herbs simmered for a couple of hours?
Doesn't seem too complicated
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: June 22, 2020, 06:57:48 pm »

We just pour the sauce from a meat dish into a bowl, leave it in the fridge, and the stuff you find the next day beneath the layer of congealed fat and oil is our "stock". Don't know about veg stock, but I imagine something similar applies.

In my own cooking, I recently found a four ingredient recipe for artichoke pasta. Basically, you make a tagliatelle using a little chopped garlic and some diced marinated artichoke hearts (buy them in stores). Add a few slices of artichoke heart on top, if you like. Simple, sinful, and classy - everything you need in a dish.

Excited to make this. Partly because I've never made any pasta dishes other than putanesca. I know how to cook others, but I've never wanted to.

Because putanesca.
One wheel short of a wagon

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: June 22, 2020, 10:12:14 pm »

I haven't made pizza in a while, because I have no yeast. Now I can make my deep dish spinach-artichoke pizza again. I use the crust recipe from here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=2047.0 and fill it with a spinach artichoke dip that uses cream cheese instead of mayonnaise, and cover it with Swiss Cheese. Toss in some olives or something for a bit of salt, mushrooms, or chicken. Or don't.

You can usually pick up a cast iron pan in the camping section of a store.

I've never tried to make stock. How do you guys do it? I think having some chicken stock or vegetable stock around would be a huge benefit to my cooking.

Cook a chicken, carve off the meat, boil down the skin, bones, leftover liquids, etc. Add some salt and whatever flavors you want in the stock (bay leaf?). Add a bunch of water, and simmer it down to render the fat (flavor) out of the skin and the marrow out of the bones (thickens the liquid and gives a good mouthfeel). Pour it into a container, put it in the fridge, and scrape the fat off the stock jello. Yes, it's supposed to be jelly-like, until you heat it back up.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: July 03, 2020, 07:15:47 pm »

Anyone ever made a Thai Green Chili using somewhat limited ingredients you can find at a store?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: July 08, 2020, 11:06:11 am »

I scored a treasure. Store i work in was selling lots of expiring "outer-pork-fileet" (no I don't know what they're called in English, it's the parts of a pig that is right next to the filet but doesn't get to be sold as filet. But they're basically filets) for cheap since they were expiring. I mean, nothing unusual there, its just that there were lots of them. So now my freezer is full of of outer-pork-filets enough to last me a long time. Grill såsom vad been saved!
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: July 08, 2020, 11:57:41 am »

I read that as "Outer Pork Fleet" and envisioned some kind of extra-terrestrial porcine space fleet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: July 08, 2020, 01:14:05 pm »

The last sentence for supposed to be "grill season has been saved" I must've switched over to svenska without noticing
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: July 08, 2020, 02:36:21 pm »

Campbell's Tamato Soop
Fresh Basils
Chedda Cheese

So good

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: July 08, 2020, 02:46:36 pm »

Tamato tamoto
Love, scriver~

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4527 on: July 22, 2020, 02:59:27 pm »

https://i.imgur.com/GWTRKDW.jpg

Made a bread

(Basic no-knead)

Edit:  Wow, that bread image is huge

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: July 22, 2020, 03:59:31 pm »

I like the fowl shape. Does it taste like chicken?
Love, scriver~

gamerboy3456

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: July 28, 2020, 12:50:59 pm »

Chop up some vegetables, cover with water, and simmer. Done. I usually use onions, carrots, celery stalks, leeks, leaf, parsley and mushrooms.
If you want to add more flavor, you can roast the vegetables beforehand or let them sweat for a few minutes over the heat before adding the water.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 333