Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477779 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4530 on: July 29, 2020, 06:26:48 pm »

I been makin' pork loin roasts covered in my fresh dill and thyme.

So good.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: July 30, 2020, 10:03:12 am »

Vegetable curry.  Lots of vegetable curry.

I have been drowning in serano peppers lately, because apparently 6 plants is like, 3 too many for my needs. (Which is amusing, because the bell peppers have hardly produced anything at all this year, despite planting over 12 of the damn things.)

So, I have been making spicy curry, vegetable chilli, and the like.  Lots of it.  (especially because I have lots of cherry tomatoes this year. I get blessed with about 2 pints of the things every single morning-- at the rate of bloom and maturation I have been experiencing lately. I have been freezing them, and using them in the above ways.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: July 30, 2020, 10:50:53 am »

I've always wanted to try at making my own curry and chili spice mixes but I have no idea where to begin. We have mystery chili growing in a pot now so this would be a good time to Google it I guess.

I tried sun drying some leftover chilis some years ago but they went to rot. Probably have to use an oven or something in my climate.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: July 30, 2020, 11:32:40 am »

I've always wanted to try at making my own curry and chili spice mixes but I have no idea where to begin. We have mystery chili growing in a pot now so this would be a good time to Google it I guess.

I tried sun drying some leftover chilis some years ago but they went to rot. Probably have to use an oven or something in my climate.

Yeah, it depends on how humid it is out, and how wet the chili is. Small, thin ones dry a lot better.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: July 30, 2020, 11:46:55 am »

Chilli:

Ground Cumin seeds (No, you cannot make chili without this, it is what gives chili it's characteristic scent and flavor! that's like trying to make cinnamon toast without cinnamon.)
Tomatoes
Celery (or celery salt)
Peppers (of some kind. You need the pepper flavor.)
Onion
Garlic
Beans
Sometimes called for: Oregano, Parsley flakes, meat

You can hash that up with all kinds of other ingredients, but that's the basic skeleton of a chili.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: July 30, 2020, 09:08:34 pm »

Chilli:

Ground Cumin seeds (No, you cannot make chili without this, it is what gives chili it's characteristic scent and flavor! that's like trying to make cinnamon toast without cinnamon.)
Tomatoes
Celery (or celery salt)
Peppers (of some kind. You need the pepper flavor.)
Onion
Garlic
Beans
Sometimes called for: Oregano, Parsley flakes, meat

You can hash that up with all kinds of other ingredients, but that's the basic skeleton of a chili.
Sounds like a decent chilli, I am going to try that!

Also try, for a (sour-sweet) curry:

ginger
ground coriander seeds
garlic
peppers (I like madame jeanettes or Lombok peppers, but those are pretty strong for someone not used to peppers)
red onions
sweet soy sauce (ketjap manis)
cloves (just a pinch, or it will drown out all other flavours)
lemon grass
lime peel
lime juice
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:26:45 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: July 31, 2020, 09:00:18 am »

Had food cravings for bread today.  So, making some.

I picked up a few bags of frozen Rhodes brand yeast dinner rolls. What they really are (to me at least), is frozen bread starter.

Divide up that big bag (since it does not reseal, no zipper. :( ) into some pint size freezer bags, then just extract one "dinner roll" at a time to make bread with.

I dont use a recipe for bread, I just have made enough of it that I taste the bread dough before adding the starter, to know what amendments it needs-- and just adlib the whole process. Really, bread is not that hard. Just time consuming. Once you know what your dough is supposed to feel (and taste) like, it's easy peasy.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:09:56 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: August 01, 2020, 06:39:19 am »

Oh, I forgot to tell about this, but we made our own messmör earlier this week (just cow milk though, since that is what we make cheese from).

Spoiler: Messmör! (click to show/hide)

It's very salty and tastes almost like liquorice. Maybe tangentially similar to marmite and/or aussmite? They're all made by caramelising leftovers I believe? Messmör is caramelized whey.

I didn't link the the linked English will article on it because it was about some weird distasteful Norwegian kind of cheesebutter and thus claimed messmör is a Norwegian cheesebutter and that's just not right.
Love, scriver~

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: September 07, 2020, 10:27:10 pm »

Oh, I forgot to tell about this, but we made our own messmör earlier this week (just cow milk though, since that is what we make cheese from).

Spoiler: Messmör! (click to show/hide)

It's very salty and tastes almost like liquorice. Maybe tangentially similar to marmite and/or aussmite? They're all made by caramelising leftovers I believe? Messmör is caramelized whey.

I didn't link the the linked English will article on it because it was about some weird distasteful Norwegian kind of cheesebutter and thus claimed messmör is a Norwegian cheesebutter and that's just not right.

Similar - vegemite is a somewhat caramelised beer extract - primarily made from waste yeast, onion and celery extract and some spices.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: September 15, 2020, 12:46:27 pm »

I made pirogi last night.

I had no idea how much pirogi 5 potatoes and a few cups of lour could make. I now have pirogi for days
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: September 15, 2020, 01:20:05 pm »

I made pirogi last night.

I had no idea how much pirogi 5 potatoes and a few cups of lour could make. I now have pirogi for days

* hector13 look up pirogi

what are you commie now

Seems like a good problem to have though. Did you make anything with it like a dip or something?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: September 15, 2020, 02:41:06 pm »

I did not. It seems like it would go REALLY GOOD with some kind of dip, I'm gonna look into that today.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: September 15, 2020, 03:57:36 pm »

They're good with sour cream, or really, anything.

Pirogi are the best fruit, for sure.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: September 16, 2020, 02:43:07 pm »

I've been pan-frying them in butter, but today I baked them in my convection oven.

Not NEARLY as good.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: September 17, 2020, 12:04:42 am »

You can to butter-bake them
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 333