Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469363 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4590 on: December 17, 2020, 07:07:32 pm »

Today I learned curry powder on plain tortilla chips is remarkably good.

I don't know if they actually sell the stuff anywhere, so, like. Take plain tortilla chips, put them in a bag with a good dose of curry powder and shake well. Done.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: December 17, 2020, 10:51:59 pm »

Today I learned curry powder on plain tortilla chips is remarkably good.

I don't know if they actually sell the stuff anywhere, so, like. Take plain tortilla chips, put them in a bag with a good dose of curry powder and shake well. Done.

Which is how pretty much every industrially produced flavored chip gets made, honestly. You could experiment with quite a few things. It's a matter of what will adhere to the chip. I think if you want cool ranch tortilla chips, you can go find ranch dressing in powdered form and use that.

As for another really simple recipe: garlic bread. My friend online was just talking about a hankering for it and I was like "Dude, super easy to do yourself."

Take pretty much any bread. Different breads kinda yield a different experience but it's all the same.

Scrape a generous amount of butter across one surface.

Sprinkle with Garlic Powder (I suppose you can do Garlic Salt but it will likely be too salty. You want it to be subtle though.) You really don't want to go heavy. You want a nice, even but thin coating.

Toast it. We've always had a toaster oven which is ideal for it, but you can just do it in the oven too. Do not put in it a conventional vertical toaster though.

Once you start seeing it turn golden brown at the edges, and the butter is sizzling, you know it's ready. If you put the right amount of garlic on there, it will be nice and garlic-y and butter. If you didn't put enough, it will be buttery but the garlic will be faint. If you put too much, a lot of it won't get absorbed by the butter and will just sit on top and burn. So probably err on the side of less rather than more.

If you want cheese garlic bread, you do the same thing but just sprinkle some Kraft Parmesan cheese or w/e cheese you like over the top, shredded really thin so it melts quickly and easily. Go even fancier and sprinkle some oregano and/or basil over the top of it prior to toasting too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: December 18, 2020, 10:05:15 pm »

Just made a homemade mocha with my favorite coffee, some "fancy" hot chocolate mix and homemade whipcream. (Heavy whipping cream, a drop of vanilla extract, a teaspoon of sugar, an immersion blender, and magic.)

It's so decadent. Can't get too used to this.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: December 18, 2020, 11:20:58 pm »

opinions on smearing whole roast garlic on bread
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: December 19, 2020, 02:00:45 am »

It's delightful. Roasting mellows out the garliciness to where you can easily eat a whole bulb yourself. Roasted properly the stuff becomes spreadably smooth so its easy to work with. Empty the husks and mash it up pretty well and mix it with a little butter or olive oil to kinda give it an additional binder and flavor. Salt to taste.

I'd pair it with a good french baguette myself. Sliced up, toasted a little. My brother liked to make roast garlic spread as an appetizer for family Christmas meals and it was big hit with everyone.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: December 19, 2020, 05:05:00 am »

The ritual boomer effigies to the jolly red communist gift giver have been presented on the traditional offering altar.

Hopefully the ritual will bring about the downfall of the bourgeois, and usher in the new communist era.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: December 19, 2020, 12:34:39 pm »

Those dudes are tripping balls
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: December 19, 2020, 05:10:27 pm »

don't eat more than one bulb per day, else you become garlic.

(wait, I think I finally found out an upside to solitary lockdown...)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: December 19, 2020, 05:20:09 pm »

This is the right thing to do. Toast/roast the bread slightly for some crunch, if that's your thing.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: December 19, 2020, 05:28:26 pm »

Ya my garlic bread is butter, optional mozzarella, thinly sliced garlic, salt and pepper, and a sprinkle of basil.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: December 19, 2020, 05:43:29 pm »

The ritual boomer effigies to the jolly red communist gift giver have been presented on the traditional offering altar.

Hopefully the ritual will bring about the downfall of the bourgeois, and usher in the new communist era.

Ngl, those look great
Recipe?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: December 20, 2020, 09:44:55 am »

Does anyone have some decent ideas about eggs? I have too many of them. Like 60 too many.

I've mostly been doing boiled eggs, potato omelette and banana bread but it's not even making a dent.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: December 20, 2020, 09:47:45 am »

Christmas candies! I made some too. They're literally called crack, because they're like crack.

I made ordinary christmas cracks and on a hunch tried making some special ginger crack of my own design -- they turned out fine I think!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone have some decent ideas about eggs? I have too many of them. Like 60 too many.

I've mostly been doing boiled eggs, potato omelette and banana bread but it's not even making a dent.

Have you tried planting them
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: December 20, 2020, 09:48:25 am »

Quiche
Noodles (these keep practically forever if you store them right, so you cant really go wrong making a surplus supply of noodle.)
Custard pie/custard
Brioche (especially as a base for cinnamon roll)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 09:54:56 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: December 20, 2020, 09:51:03 am »

Noodles would be fun to make!
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 333