Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 475709 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4605 on: December 20, 2020, 09:57:31 am »

Others include other quickbreads besides banana, like pumpkin bread, zuccini bread, carrot cake, spice cake, pound cake, etc...

Sugar cookie also uses egg in the dough.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 09:59:22 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: December 20, 2020, 10:02:32 am »

Have you ever had cardemom cake? It's only one egg but it's the tastiest bread/sponge cake.
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: December 20, 2020, 10:06:09 am »

Have you ever had cardemom cake? It's only one egg but it's the tastiest bread/sponge cake.

funnily enough I made a cardamom tea bread a couple days ago, not that recipe though! cardamom is very tasty :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: December 20, 2020, 10:27:10 am »

You can put egg in... basically anything, I think. Just whatever you cook, stir in some scrambled eggs. Good with rice dishes if you got rice (can also just put some eggs in the last few minutes of boiling rice and it'll cook right into it, good stuff). Can put on sandwiches super easy. Works fine as a pizza topping. You've already had potato omelets; dicing potatoes up and dumping in a bowl with egg and ~whatever else~ can be pretty good for quick/filling/easy. So ons and so forths.

Usually when I have an excess of something that's basically my go to: Whatever else I'm cooking anyway, add the whatever in whatever form is easiest to cook and add. Eggs happen to be stupid easy (even microwaveable!) to scramble in particular, so...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: December 20, 2020, 10:37:16 am »

Yeah egg-fried rice is good too. Tbh eggs mostly store best in their own form, the only other way I can think is as pickled eggs. I just don't want to turn into that fridge egg meme.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: December 20, 2020, 11:13:37 am »

I've experimented with making egg rice a few times, I always end up wondering if I'm using too little egg. But I also feel like it's not supposed to go omelettish, right? That's too much.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: December 20, 2020, 11:44:33 am »

I've found it fine if you go like... one egg per cup? Two eggs for two cups of rice. No idea what that translates to in. In. Uh. The c word I've apparently forgotten the name of?

Except typing that made me realize the word I was looking for is metric and I didn't even have the right starting letter. Anyway. That's worked fine for me.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: December 20, 2020, 12:10:09 pm »

Huh I sorta assumed even metric countries used cups.  250mL (milliliters) per cup, apparently (actually 236, but this cooking website said 250!  Pretty big disparity there, I hope people don't use 250 for baking!)

And yeah egg cracked into cooking rice is great.  Thanks for the tip about adding it later in the cook - eggs need so little cooking, and the steam is hot.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: December 20, 2020, 02:32:45 pm »

I always eggs early on. I do chicken fried rice, so you start with the chicken since it has to cook the longest. Once it's like half done, you add the egg. Once the egg is cooked but not yet browning, you move to the rest. By the time the rice has picked up a nice golden crust, the eggs too should have browned a little bit. I personally like that nice crispy golden brown sear. Never thought about doing it late in the process, I'd think it'd end up being on the less well done side of done.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: December 20, 2020, 03:21:54 pm »

Lemon squares/tart with a curd-style filling can run through eggs really fast.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: December 20, 2020, 07:48:58 pm »

Lemon squares/tart with a curd-style filling can run through eggs really fast.

Ooo, never made this before. I'll look it up.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: December 21, 2020, 08:17:19 pm »

Today's experiments in cookie icing: Ground up watermelon hard candy and green (apple?) rock candy.

Verdict: Pretty okay! Also quite visually distinct, one being lurid pink and the other more or less neon green, both with small bits of harden sugar in them. Secondary reason there's no pictures, that (primary reason being I can't be arsed to take one after coming home from working and cooking for more or less two hours straight between the cookies and everyone's supper).

Bonus round of every icing (plain/cinnamon/watermelon/green) in one bowl: Also pretty decent! Also, uh. Also starting to turn black between the cinnamon and everything else >_>

Still, six by six batch of oatmeal icing medley, acquired.
Ask not!
Ask!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: December 21, 2020, 08:48:40 pm »

So I had an idea in my head a couple of days ago and I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.

A pizza with white garlic sauce, mushrooms, and... Chocolate covered bananas. For some reason I just think it would taste great.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: December 21, 2020, 08:52:55 pm »

I had garlic on pizza recently, it wasn't great, so I'd say no.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: December 21, 2020, 09:02:38 pm »

I've never tried banana on pizza before, I don't think? Do seem to recall chocolate just doesn't go particularly well with cheese as a general thing, tho'. Garlic on pizza is pretty ubiquitous so that should be fine. Mushrooms might change things up, I'unno. I wildly dislike mushrooms on food so I don't have much experience with 'em.

Still, might as well try it? I doubted donuts as a pizza topping when I first had the urge, but then I tried it and it was great.

Occurs to me you might get something different with dried vs regular banana, too. Banana chips on pizza sounds oddly tempting now that I think about it...
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 333