Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477145 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4650 on: January 22, 2021, 01:05:40 pm »

What kinda beans did you use?

It's a traditional Swedish breed of the common bean called only "Brown beans" here, according to Wikipedia it is only grown in Sweden, Finland, and "certain parts of the US" (likely where Swedes migrated?), however i don't know how much of that is true and how much is propaganda to make EU give it cultural certification because it looks exactly like this

to the point of that picture being used on the Swedish Wikipedia page but that picture is actually of the "north-hollander brown bean" so yeah. Beans aren't my strong point ;)

I'm going to attempt to make cast iron skillet pizza this weekend, per this recipe:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TjUWnAK0cg&t=482s

Will post pics.

Make sure you do! Are you making thin pizza or one if those deep dish pizza pies that some American regionalities prefer?
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: January 22, 2021, 01:10:29 pm »

On the scale of New York Thin Crust --> Chicago Deep Dish, this falls in between. It's not thin crust, so technically it'd be a pan pizza. I personally love deep dish pizzas (and have made them before at home.) I could probably make a deep dish in a cast iron skillet but it might be a bit tricky. Making pan pizzas in a skillet works because you pre-cook the dough a little on the stove top before you add toppings. Then you use the broiler in the oven to brown the top while the heat from the oven cooks it from below to finish it all the way. Not sure that'd work for a deep dish pizza. But the last time I made a deep dish pizza, I used a spring form pan and just baked it, so it would probably be ok.

Should come out thicker than a thin crust but probably less doughy overall than like a Pizza Hut pan pizza.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:20:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: January 22, 2021, 01:13:18 pm »

Cast iron pizza is awesome. Pretty much the best method outside of actually having a proper pizza oven imo.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: January 22, 2021, 01:16:18 pm »

It's sounds good! I might have to try it too!
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: January 22, 2021, 01:25:13 pm »

Same guy that did the skillet pizza video has other various methods. There's one where you just straight drape the pie over the oven rack close to the broiler. Comes out looking wavy and strange.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: January 22, 2021, 01:36:25 pm »

Recipe I use is this:

"Crust:
1 3/4 cups flour (7.7 oz.)
1/4 cup cornmeal (40 g.)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 package dry yeast
1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tb. water (4.75 oz.)
OR
1/2 cup plus 1/2 tb. water (4.25 oz.) and 1/2 oz. crushed garlic (this crust is my deviation from the original recipe)
3 tb. Olive oil (42 g.)

Assemble the above as you would any yeast dough, and let it rise once.  I like to let the dough rise overnight in the fridge."

Put it in a seasoned and oiled (although leaving a very small rim near the top un-oiled makes it easier to stick the crust to the sides so they don't fold in on themselves) ~10-inch cast iron pan, and fill it with whatever fillings you like.

A thick spinach-artichoke dip made with cream cheese instead of mayonnaise is great for that, but anything that will more or less solidify in the oven will work nicely. You get pie-like slices that will fill you up more than you'd expect.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: January 23, 2021, 06:45:15 pm »

Generally a success!

Obviously the amount of dough called for by the recipe was a little short of the whole pan but it still worked out. I made the dough last night and, still being more or less of a baking noob, didn't give it a rise before I put it in the fridge. So it sat out today for about ~4 hours before I put it all together. I think it rose a lot less than expected (also I noticed my yeast didn't bloom very aggressively....) but overall I think it turned out decent and edible. The crust method, using seasoned oil in the pan with a little bit of salt, and the nice browning you get, packs so much flavor in you find yourself wanting more crust. Overall the flavor of olive oil was pretty strong, the recipe calls for it in several places. I also did some chopped garlic on the sauce layer.

Texture wise it came out thicker than a thin crust but not by much. It was a little doughy near the cheese but I assume that's because of all the cheese and topping. It was perfectly edible though and the crust held in the hand just fine. Bottom had a nice subtle crunch.

I made another dough ball out of paranoia so I may just make it again tomorrow with a properly risen dough that fits the pan, see how we do.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:48:15 pm by nenjin »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: January 23, 2021, 06:47:37 pm »

Certainly looks fantastic! Very nice.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: January 23, 2021, 06:55:04 pm »

Yes, that's a pizza success story!

Where's the ananas though?
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: January 23, 2021, 07:18:03 pm »

We don't roll like that in this house, sir.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: January 27, 2021, 07:08:10 pm »

I ALWAYS add a bit of extra olive oil/salt to my pizza crust. No reason not to give your dough a little oomph.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: February 07, 2021, 09:52:09 am »

So back when I made my ginger crack candy for Christmas I got in a little bit of a ginger mood and thought of all kinds of gingery stuff I wanted to make, one of the most probable ideas that crossed my mind was ginger chicken -- I finally got off my butt today and put something together. With only slight internet checking for reference so I can still call it self-ideaed (not that it's anything special -- it's just ginger and chili and garlic). It's getting ovened up right now
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: February 07, 2021, 11:03:52 am »

Ginger, chili (or well, Adjuma or Jalapeņo peppers usually) and garlic are the base for a lot of my cooking experiments.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 11:25:51 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: February 08, 2021, 04:32:46 pm »

I made a ham today. Used honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger for the glaze.

Came out pretty ok.

This thing was SALTY tho. Any tips on how to lessen the SALT?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: February 08, 2021, 04:57:36 pm »

Soak it overnight in water before you cook it.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 333