Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 476115 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4755 on: March 15, 2021, 07:30:03 pm »

Tongue is indeed served on bread, thinly sliced and cold.
I like cooking, and my experimental kitchen endeavours have spanned quite a range of ingredients, but I must confess I have never made a hot dish with cow tongue. I wouldn't even know how to prepare it properly.

Today I made a tasty dark mushroom soup. Roasted two large portbellos in the oven together with a sliced bellpepper, both marinated in oil mixed with garlic, thyme, black pepper, a little bit of sweet soy sauce and some laos (siamese ginger) for 25 minutes
I then added that to a broth made with chestnut champignons, red onions, some more garlic, a cube of strong beef stock and a cube of varied forest mushroom stock.
Except for the cube of beef stock, it's vegetarian. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:nomnom just finished eating a bowl. Damn, those portbellos are tasty. I didn't slice them up when boiling them with the broth, I just floated them upside down, and dunked them under a few times.
Sliced them in managable parts when serving the soup. They really retained their roasted marinade taste that way.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 07:34:44 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: March 16, 2021, 05:42:47 am »

So, uhm... Not exactly anything I would do, or recommend anyone else do, but...

I still feel the need to share this for those of us who are conceptually interested in such things.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: March 16, 2021, 06:12:11 am »

I would be more apt to "Cook" the chicken with ultrasound rather than mechanical slapping.  Technically, they are the same exact thing. (an accoustic wave is just a front of kinetically charged particles engaged in a group oscillation within a medium)

It would be easier to set up, cleaner, and more likely to deliver the energy in the way you want it delivered.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: March 16, 2021, 06:26:00 am »

I would be more apt to "Cook" the chicken with ultrasound rather than mechanical slapping.  Technically, they are the same exact thing. (an accoustic wave is just a front of kinetically charged particles engaged in a group oscillation within a medium)

It would be easier to set up, cleaner, and more likely to deliver the energy in the way you want it delivered.

Yes, but it wouldn't specifically answer the age-old question

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: April 10, 2021, 07:56:50 am »

This soup better be spicey!

The (incised) adjuma pepper is floating in broth made with chicken legs with bones (will remove the bones once the meat has fallen off), fried bell pepper, red onions, fried sambal oelek, a little garlic, pimentos (=allspice) and foil. Will add broccoli 5 minutes before it's done (or it will be nothing but green sludge). It already smells great.

My cat is trying to warn me for the after effects of such a spicy soup.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 08:00:21 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: April 10, 2021, 08:23:26 am »

This soup better be spicey!

The (incised) adjuma pepper is floating in broth made with chicken legs with bones (will remove the bones once the meat has fallen off), fried bell pepper, red onions, fried sambal oelek, a little garlic, pimentos (=allspice) and foil. Will add broccoli 5 minutes before it's done (or it will be nothing but green sludge). It already smells great.

My cat is trying to warn me for the after effects of such a spicy soup.

Did you break the bones, so you get nice, thick soup?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: April 10, 2021, 08:24:50 am »

But ofcourse, marrow is very important to make a nice broth. Otherwise I could just as well have used chicken fillets.
 (I break them halfway the boiling process though. Precooked chicken bones are less inclined to produce nasty splinters).

EDIT: Oh boy. The pepper is working as intended. Indian level of spicyness. My Sikh is on fire.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:15:37 am by martinuzz »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: April 10, 2021, 10:50:47 am »

I made asian pork, mashed potatoes, carrots, and broccoli for my family in the first major gathering since covid. They are all vaccinated, as are we.

Made cheesy garlic bread too.

The pork was seared, then covered in sesame oil, just enough hoisin sauce to be sticky, ginger, and sage. Mashed potatoes were mashed potatoes. Had cheese and sour cream in em. Carrots has brown sugar and cumin on them. Broccoli had olive oil and salt and pepper, dats it. EVerything went in the oven for varying periods of time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: May 10, 2021, 07:00:00 am »

I made asian pork, mashed potatoes, carrots, and broccoli for my family in the first major gathering since covid. They are all vaccinated, as are we.

Made cheesy garlic bread too.

The pork was seared, then covered in sesame oil, just enough hoisin sauce to be sticky, ginger, and sage. Mashed potatoes were mashed potatoes. Had cheese and sour cream in em. Carrots has brown sugar and cumin on them. Broccoli had olive oil and salt and pepper, dats it. EVerything went in the oven for varying periods of time.

Garlic bread is a truly great snack. I cook according to a similar recipe, but more often I use chicken meat

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: May 10, 2021, 04:27:21 pm »

Made cacio e pepe with black bean noodles and, accidentally, 2x too much butter. Will definitely add garlic next time, it's a travesty that the recipe doesn't include it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: May 21, 2021, 04:46:15 pm »

Maruchan Yakisoba noodles heated in chicken stock and hoisin sauce with a bit of ginger is a distinct improvement. Did not use any flavor packet, so its even less unhealthy.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: May 21, 2021, 05:18:45 pm »

My supermarket has added king oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus eryngii) to their assortiment.
It is a very tasty mushroom, when fried or grilled.

Will be happy to explore cooking with those.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: May 21, 2021, 05:46:32 pm »

Maruchan Yakisoba noodles heated in chicken stock and hoisin sauce with a bit of ginger is a distinct improvement. Did not use any flavor packet, so its even less unhealthy.
Speaking of those flavor packets, I'll tell you a secret, at least with the powdered ones: Two parts teriyaki beef to one part spicy chicken, used sparingly, is amazing. Empty the three packets into a little bag or container and shake well. Easily one of the best seasonings I've had to date, and pretty versatile in what it's good on (i.e. everything I've put it on so far).

e: omnomnom, loose hamburger cooked with teriyaki marinade, basmati rice, curry powder, taco blend walmart cheese, that's all, this should not taste this good nomnom
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 07:33:35 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: June 16, 2021, 05:27:06 pm »

A trivial accomplishment, but I successfully crafted a double grilled cheese sandwich.  I've been told it doesn't really work, but all you have to do is make it in two stages.  Make a regular grilled cheese sandwich, then add more cheese and bread after the first flip.  Flip again, and you're done.

I also followed a tip I saw from the Food Wishes YouTube channel and sprinkled the outside with shredded cheese to add a cheese crust.  I didn't know if that would work out or not, but it really did add a nice but subtle crust to it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: June 16, 2021, 05:46:09 pm »

While his cadence does occasionally drive me crazy, Chef John and Food Wishes have a lot great dishes that he simplifies so they're both easier to make and generally just as good. I've done Foccacia Bread and Beef Jerky both according to his recipes and they turned out pretty good.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 333