Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 473815 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4800 on: July 08, 2021, 05:16:42 pm »

Meat floss is often added to sweet stuff here. You might try it on a donut or some sweet rolls.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: July 08, 2021, 07:34:36 pm »

Only sweet things I have right now is dry cereal and ice cream.

So. Meat floss as an ice cream topping in the near future, I guess. Bacon ice cream's pretty good, so it'll probably turn out alright!

Also: Definitely pretty solid as a pizza topping. This stuff is decently versatile.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: July 08, 2021, 08:46:46 pm »

A casual read from the internet indicates putting it your fridge until it softens, mixing the shit out of it, then refreezing it. If it doesn't soften too far it should refreeze with around the same texture.

As for freezing too much, the internet says higher fat content reduces the freeze (I'm guessing you read that since you tried half and half instead of condensed milk) and adding a little alcohol to it because alcohol doesn't freeze.

Couldn't add alcohol, I'm a teetotaler and don't have any available. Did add a pinch of salt, along with about half a cup of sugar. Froze even harder after re-mixing. Breaking/shaving off a bit, aside from the ice it has a very milky flavor, like chocolate milk with ice added. If it wasn't for the obvious taste of ice, it'd be pretty decent. It probably did soften too far before I mixed it, because I left it in my fridge for about 10 hours. I can't really put it in for less than that because I'm at work for that time.

Yeah, not too much to fix it then. Let it defrost slightly before eating?

Fattier cream makes smoother ice cream, or just make a custard if all you have is half-and-half.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: July 09, 2021, 09:32:10 am »

Meat floss in grits and eggs: First notable failure. Not great. Edible, but... not by much. Wrong kind of sweetness to go well with the grits, I think. Wouldn't recommend.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: July 13, 2021, 07:05:45 pm »

PSA bump!

Curry powder on garlic bread: Never again.
Ask not!
Ask!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: July 13, 2021, 11:37:18 pm »

Curry powder on garlic bread: Never again.

Why not??? sounds delicious?????
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: July 14, 2021, 02:12:55 am »

I can only assume Frumple simply didn't use enough
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4807 on: July 14, 2021, 02:42:45 am »

Wrong kind of curry powder? Too much and it was gritty? I can definitely imagine some masala blends being awful but others should be alright.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: July 14, 2021, 03:31:11 am »

Tomatoes! I have an entire garden full of green ones. I'm not too versed in tomato food. My ideas for what to do with them so far involve pickling them (of course), drying them, and making my own tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes,  and for particular dishes also this one garlic-shrimp-tomato fry-sauce with pasta thing I ate a year or two ago thay was fantastic.

So as I wrote in the gardening thread, any ideas are welcome! I've been thinking of looking up fried green tomatoes that I know of because of the movie and been made the impression if it being an American iconic dish, but I don't really know for sure if it is a real dish even. Is it a good eat, if anyone of you have had it?
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4809 on: July 14, 2021, 03:40:48 am »

I'll peel and chop a tomato and throw it into practically any savoury sauce that doesn't have some important or delicate flavour, as a bit of a low-key umami boost.

You could try jollof rice, if you want to feel African for a bit! But I can't recommend any specific regional variant, for all people seem ready to get into fights over it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: July 14, 2021, 03:50:57 am »

Looks very nice! I'll probably end up making a swedified version of it anyway (as usually happens ;) ) so don't tell the continent or I'll be hated by the entire place :P
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: July 14, 2021, 01:16:40 pm »

So as I wrote in the gardening thread, any ideas are welcome! I've been thinking of looking up fried green tomatoes that I know of because of the movie and been made the impression if it being an American iconic dish, but I don't really know for sure if it is a real dish even. Is it a good eat, if anyone of you have had it?

The green tomato thing (tomatillo) is more considered Mexican over here, it's true that they're seen (at least among my family) as a special delight.

Note that green tomato is a special variety of tomato that will never become red, not simply an unripe tomato.

I can recommend the website "veg recipes of India" because onion + tomato is a very standard base for many Indian foods. You will never run out of applications for your tomatoes if you learn Indian cooking.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: July 14, 2021, 03:24:22 pm »

Yo, chuck some diced tomatoes into your pasta. Almost literally any kind of pasta.

I made one with a lemon/basil white sauce the other day, it was AMAZING with my garden tomatoes on it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: July 14, 2021, 04:29:51 pm »

Wrong kind of curry powder? Too much and it was gritty? I can definitely imagine some masala blends being awful but others should be alright.
Maybe wrong kind? Definitely wasn't too much, I went fairly easy on it and this particular curry powder isn't gritty at all. Mostly it was just intensely confused and pretty nasty for it.

Now that you mention grit, though, while it wasn't gritty, it did kinda' taste like friggin' sand. How the hell you get "sand" out of curry powder and garlic bread, I don't know, but I have no intention of experimenting to find out at this point. Blech.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: July 14, 2021, 06:18:20 pm »

Not all spices can be eaten unblended. Did you literally just sprinkle it on top of garden variety butter + garlic garlic bread? Yeah, I can see the curry sitting on the top, mildly to not at all absorbed by the butter as being pretty nasty.

You'll get the same effect with homemade garlic bread if you put too much garlic power or salt on it. Once you go beyond the saturation point of the butter currently on there, you're just straight eating powder.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 333