Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 473957 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4815 on: July 14, 2021, 09:02:40 pm »

Nah, it was frozen... something or other. Cheesy garlic toast things. Not exactly high quality.

The spice mixed in well enough, though, at least from the look of it. Tasted like it mixed in fine, too, for that matter (I've tasted the curry powder raw and it was... nothing like that was). It just tasted pretty vile/confused as all hell. Maybe if it was like cooked right into the bread it'd be better, but... I'unno. I'unno and my motivation to try to find out is as starkly negative as my opinion of ever mixing hot chocolate and green tea again (pro tip: Don't.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: July 15, 2021, 03:55:14 am »

A casual read from the internet indicates putting it your fridge until it softens, mixing the shit out of it, then refreezing it. If it doesn't soften too far it should refreeze with around the same texture.

As for freezing too much, the internet says higher fat content reduces the freeze (I'm guessing you read that since you tried half and half instead of condensed milk) and adding a little alcohol to it because alcohol doesn't freeze.

Couldn't add alcohol, I'm a teetotaler and don't have any available. Did add a pinch of salt, along with about half a cup of sugar. Froze even harder after re-mixing. Breaking/shaving off a bit, aside from the ice it has a very milky flavor, like chocolate milk with ice added. If it wasn't for the obvious taste of ice, it'd be pretty decent. It probably did soften too far before I mixed it, because I left it in my fridge for about 10 hours. I can't really put it in for less than that because I'm at work for that time.

Yeah, not too much to fix it then. Let it defrost slightly before eating?

Fattier cream makes smoother ice cream, or just make a custard if all you have is half-and-half.

Turned out not to matter after all. Someone broke the bowl I was keeping it in and left it in the freezer. Had to throw the rest of the bowl out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: July 15, 2021, 06:24:46 am »

Looks very nice! I'll probably end up making a swedified version of it anyway (as usually happens ;) ) so don't tell the continent or I'll be hated by the entire place :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: July 16, 2021, 05:58:33 pm »

MAKIN SUSHI TNITE
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: July 26, 2021, 08:43:46 pm »

Rather proud of this. My mom and I have been talking about making Yorkshire pudding or Popovers forever. She was pushing for Popovers so we finally did it this weekend.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was dirt simple to make. Pretty much 2 equal parts of Bread Flour and Whole Milk, plus 3 Eggs and some salt. Whisk, pour into a tin, ~40 minutes at 400, done.

Has the consistency of watery pancake batter prior to baking, so it would be hard to put anything substantial in it like a filling before it's cooked. The recipe works because the egg content is so high, as it cooks and puffs up it takes the dough with it, creating this really nice fluffy, almost egg creamy interior, just beyond the line between bread and egg, and a nice bready exterior with some crisp and crunch. Even looks pretty AF like I egg washed it, because of egg in it.

Second thing that makes it work is having a tin with deep enough wells. These things puff up mightily, and if they overspill and flop over because the pan is too wide or shallow, you lose your puff.

Might try adding some other seasonings. Little sugar for sweetness or garlic for savoriness. Lots of seasoning options.

We ate it with butter immediately coming out of the oven, but I think jam would work pretty well too.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 10:07:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: August 16, 2021, 11:53:57 am »

I tried my hand at making another batch fakelaffel, finally. They were pretty good! Could've used more starch in the dough, they were a bit wet. I'm just glad they weren't failaffel ;)
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: August 24, 2021, 04:50:16 am »

I made a basic tomatoe sauce out of my own, fresh tomatoes. It was pretty great! 9/10 toes
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: September 29, 2021, 07:15:25 pm »

Today, I have learned that curry frosting tastes kinda' like tea. Gonna' make some weird snickerdoodle cookies soon, yo'.

... normal ones, too, but there's gonna' be some curry frosting in this stuff and it's hopefully gonna' come out tasting like tea cookies.

e: welp, they ate all my curried snickerdoodle cookies

also all the other ones

they ate all the cookies

frumple has apparently learned the easy magic of delicious cookies: add one (1) egg yoke (just the yoke!) to the batter over the given recipe
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 04:01:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: October 05, 2021, 02:54:17 am »

Just had kimchi for the first time ever. Hot damn is it neat.

It's like slightly less powerful sourkraut that replaces the punch with a spicy kick which I really like.

Also that almost fresh cabbage crunch is so enjoyable, you just wanna munch on the stuff all day long.

Damn shame I can't really make the stuff home or get easy access to it (this one was brought by a cousin from the neighboring country xd )
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: October 05, 2021, 01:21:26 pm »

Kimchi isn't very hard to make IIRC once you have the ingredients.

You pickle some stuff, dig a hole in your backyard, put the jar in the hole, bury and leave it for ????.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: October 05, 2021, 01:43:22 pm »

My brother made kimchi once by accident while trying to make sauerkraut.  I'm not exactly sure what he did wrong (maybe just made it spicy) so that at least implies to me it can't be too hard to make at home.  Worst part is just taking a while I imagine.

On a different subject, I've found myself with an odd problem: I seem to have developed some kind of intolerance for black tea.  I never drank it as a kid for some reason, but on a whim I started drinking it about two years ago and fell in love.  I drank tons of it up until about 5 months ago, where I randomly started to feel like I was dying every night.  A friend suggested tea caused similar issues for him, and after stopping it I noticed the problems went away.

I was in some disbelief but abstained for a few weeks before trying it again.  Within a few minutes I had a bad headache, and if I drank enough it gave me bizarre body aches and fatigue.  I still wasn't sure so I tried the experiment a couple of times with a few weeks of abstaining and it seems to be repeatable.

After reading a bit about it I can really only find two culprits people talk about: caffeine and tannins.  I know it's not caffeine causing the headaches because I drink enough coffee and soda all day that I'm basically immune to it.  Tannins... maybe?  Steeping the tea for a shorter period seems to help, and mixing milk in it like someone suggested seems to help too, but it doesn't solve the problem completely.  Probably just from a reduced dose more than any chemical reaction with the tannins like the internet claims.

I wish there were some actual solution.  I'm going to miss my tea.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: October 05, 2021, 01:52:40 pm »

Tannins was what I was going to say. My guess is you're sensitive to red wine too, because it has lots of tannins in it.

Tannins in wine come from the skin of red grapes, the seeds and the oak barrels the wine ages in. You can detect tannins as the bitter, astringent sensation in your mouth. You get a similar sensation from drinking black coffee, black tea or eating dark chocolate. People who are intolerant to tannin can experience headaches/migraines, stomach ache or bowel irritation. So, if you are intolerant to tannin when drinking wine, you may get the same effect drinking coffee or black tea.

Not sure what you can do about it so you can drink tea. Your body probably isn't appreciating the astringent effect of tannins.

You might try tea low in tannins, like Green Tea, Jasmine or Darjeeling. They won't be nearly as bold as black tea but it'd still be tea. Oddly another thing on the internet claims black tea is low in tannins but I don't think that's the case.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 03:08:42 pm by nenjin »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: October 05, 2021, 02:00:38 pm »

I don't think I've ever even drank any red wine so I can't confirm based on that, but it would be a good test.  Grapes don't seem to bother me but maybe the different format means it doesn't have the same effect.

I might try green tea again.  I've tried it in the past and didn't care for the flavor, but admittedly it was instant tea so that's probably not a good way to really test something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: October 05, 2021, 02:05:49 pm »

1. Buy higher quality loose-leaf black tea.

Most teabag tea is made of tea dust (= literal garbage left over from making real tea), and cheap loose leaf tea is made with the "cut tear curl" process. By increasing the surface area and exposing the inside of the leaf to hot water, it's guaranteed that all of the chemicals in the tea will emerge at once into the steeping liquid. You don't want this: you want the caffeine and relaxing compounds to come out, and to throw away most of the tannins and acid with the used tea leaf solids.

1'. Try puer, which is fermented, if you find black tea is still a problem.

2. Steep at a slightly lower temperature (~160-180F) and only about 2 minutes.

3. Cut with a high-fat dairy product.

4. Drink after eating and not past 2 PM, or 4 PM at the latest. Consume with whole foods, not simple sugars (this will help with the increase in stomach acid). At 2 switch to oolong or herbal teas.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: October 05, 2021, 02:13:35 pm »

I'll see if I can scrounge up better tea since as you probably guessed this is indeed the cheapest stuff I could find at the grocery store.  That's admittedly one reason I started drinking it: way cheaper and more convenient than buying soda constantly when all I had to do was grab a few bags from the box and boil it in water.

Steeping at a lower temperature is something I can try too.  I can confirm that drinking it while eating does help, so there's that at least.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 333