Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469402 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4830 on: October 05, 2021, 05:21:22 pm »

Kimchi isn't very hard to make IIRC once you have the ingredients.

You pickle some stuff, dig a hole in your backyard, put the jar in the hole, bury and leave it for ????.

Oh I know, the trouble is the ingredients themselves, some I can get, but the main one being the cabbage is kinda hard, not sure our sort of cabbage would be good for it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: October 05, 2021, 06:26:29 pm »

I'll see if I can scrounge up better tea since as you probably guessed this is indeed the cheapest stuff I could find at the grocery store.  That's admittedly one reason I started drinking it: way cheaper and more convenient than buying soda constantly when all I had to do was grab a few bags from the box and boil it in water.

Steeping at a lower temperature is something I can try too.  I can confirm that drinking it while eating does help, so there's that at least.

Aha. OK, just upgrading to a mid-grade teabag tea, like Stash or similar, might be good enough.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: October 05, 2021, 06:48:47 pm »

Kimchi isn't very hard to make IIRC once you have the ingredients.

You pickle some stuff, dig a hole in your backyard, put the jar in the hole, bury and leave it for ????.

Oh I know, the trouble is the ingredients themselves, some I can get, but the main one being the cabbage is kinda hard, not sure our sort of cabbage would be good for it.

I forget your locale. India? I figured cabbage is a really ubiquitous vegetable. I mean, I say fuck it, try it with whatever local variety you have. Ya never know, <regional vegetable> Kimchi could turn out to be pretty amazing. It's pickling so it's not like there's a big investment of time, energy and money into trying it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: October 26, 2021, 03:21:21 pm »

Autumn soup day!

Pumpkin-sweet potato soup, flavoured with an onion, some garlic, oregano, cayenne pepper, mace, cumin and baked bacon.
Fast and easy soup.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: November 01, 2021, 06:28:28 am »

Sunday roast with my flatmates. The lunatics were going to throw away a completely decent chicken carcass afterwards. Looks like I'm good for stock for the next few months.
One wheel short of a wagon

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: November 01, 2021, 07:19:23 am »

I would like to invest in your chicken stocks
Love, scriver~

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: November 01, 2021, 09:24:36 am »

My portfolio has futures in soups and sauces, as well as options in pasta dishes and maybe some kind of risotto.
One wheel short of a wagon

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: November 02, 2021, 12:37:30 am »

I've made risotto with my dad a few times now and I have to say- it's good, but I don't think it's the rice.  I think it's all the fresh veggies from his yard, and also that he goes heavy on the chicken stock (and lard) not to mention the salt.

The super-special rice is fine I guess but I've been using Egypt's Best Rice similarly.  That is, I've been adding extra water and cutting the heat at the right time, so it ends up gooey after absorbing all the other ingredients.  I don't have no fancy pressure cooker, or proper risotto-rice (Arborio), but it still comes out well.  And I'm sure it would come out a lot better if I kept such a stock of fresh veggies in my refrigerator, as my dad does.

I guess that's a downside to unscheduled eating - I tend to throw meals together, and later I eat some canned veggies separate.  It's better together (and fresh-chopped I guess).

(But hey, gnawing on a raw carrot is a good preventative to binge-eating, not to mention the mouth-feel)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: November 02, 2021, 05:31:34 pm »

If you invest wisely, you might make a few bouillon.

Like Warren Buffet.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: November 02, 2021, 08:15:29 pm »

Beef Sous Vide with big glass jars, cauldron and a campfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTc0qpLtdCY.

I imagine with a big enough pot and a large mason jar you could do this at home, although it'd probably be best to find some cook time guides. Leaving your oven or burners on for 16 hours seems unwise.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: November 03, 2021, 07:57:09 pm »

Anyone know good quail recipes?

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: November 04, 2021, 12:54:01 pm »

Anyone know good quail recipes?

Do you know about the Open Library? It's a very practical website where you can freely borrow millions of books from all over the world and then read them on your computer, including tons of cookbooks. You just need to make an account to gain access.

By browsing there, I found an old book from 1975 about the hunting and cooking of wild birds, with plenty of quail recipes, and I'm pretty sure they would be just as good for either wild or domestic quails. It is titled Cook the wild bird : an erudite treatise on the joy of hunting, cooking, and eating game birds, and if you search it on the website, you will find it (the quail recipes begin at p.379).

But also, if you want to simplify your life, you totally can cook a quail like a chicken, as I have read in another book: "Roasting is the preferred cooking method for most game birds. Quail is the notable exception. It is almost all white meat and can be cooked like domestic chicken. It may be sauteed, broiled, stewed, or roasted."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: November 04, 2021, 05:16:12 pm »

Just be careful with old cookbooks (old non-fiction in general, really) -- sometimes they recommend things that can't be easily(/legally) obtained anymore, and occasionally things that are like extremely carcinogenic or whatever. It's also not uncommon for there to be some incompatibility between how they recommend preparation or cooking and modern appliances, so you might have to adjust cooking times or intensities.

Mostly just make sure to pay extra attention to what you're looking at, if you're browsing older stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: November 04, 2021, 05:39:16 pm »

Also be careful with wild fowl (or game for that matter). It can contain lead. Chew carefully, don't swallow the bullet fragments.

I once discovered a lead shotgun pellet when biting on a piece of christmas dinner duck.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: November 10, 2021, 12:44:52 pm »

My kitchen experiments once again cooked up a soup that is worth memorizing for repeated use.

Need:
1 large sweet potato (say 200gr)
200gr of fresh spinach leaves
200gr shiitake mushrooms
200gr chicken fillet
1 onion
2 red jalapeño peppers
1/3d of a bulb of garlic (4-5 cloves)
some salt

herbs and spices:
curcuma
mace (nutmeg seed outer covering)
lemongrass
coriander seed
cardemom

Cut the sweet potato in chunks and boil them in 1l of water with 2 teaspoons of curcuma and some salt for 15 minutes.

While the potatoes are boiling, cut the chicken fillet into bite-sized chunks, cut the onion into small bits, cut the shiitake into slices, grind the garlic to a paste, and do the same to the peppers. Include the seeds if you like some hot spice, leave them out if you don't like it. Jalapeño aren't the hottest peppers around.
Throw half of the garlic paste in with the potatoes.

Now take a frying pan, put some olive oil in it and when it's hot, add, in this order, with 1 minute of stirring in between: onion, pepper, shiitake, chicken. Now let it fry for 5 minutes while stirring it once in a while so it doesn't burn.

If you're good at multitasking, right about now the boiled potato should be ready for soupification. Take a kitchen blender, and blend the potatoes into a smooth soup.

Now, turn up the heat under the frying pan, and add the rest of the garlic paste to it. Stir for 20 seconds, then dump the contents of the frying pan into the potato soup.

Put some more oil in the frying pan, and fry the spinach leaves just enough for them to shrink. Then add them to the soup.

Add 2 teaspoons of mace, 1 teaspoon of coriander seed powder, half a teaspoon of lemongrass powder and even less than half a teaspoon of cardamom powder.

Let it boil for another 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

EDIT: my old master approves

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 12:52:51 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 333