Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477337 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4860 on: February 21, 2022, 08:54:44 am »

I would get a corona self test, not tasting bacon bits and pepper sounds like you have lost your sense of tasting.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: February 21, 2022, 09:02:59 am »

I just cooked the weirdest thing I've made in... years, I think. Egg noodles, cooked with beef broth, with egg and cheese and turkey bacon and milk cooked in near the end, eventually with some bacon bits and pepper added.

And, like.

It didn't have a flavor. They were borderline tasteless.

But.

I ate that bowl of noodles like I was starving. They were basically tasteless but incredibly eatable, for whatever reason. Inexplicably edible non-noodles. It was like it was orthogonal to food and my stomach really, really wanted it. I can't call it good, really, it was just... something. Something really enticing but also something that really shouldn't have been.

someone that actually knows cooking please help what did i do

Sounds like you just realised you prefer non-spicy food :P
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: February 21, 2022, 09:20:30 am »

I would get a corona self test, not tasting bacon bits and pepper sounds like you have lost your sense of tasting.
I could still taste fine, though! I nibbled on some bacon bits in the process 'cause they're tasty, and it wasn't any different from usual. It was like I somehow managed to make the tastes involved cancel out, but that makes very little sense.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: February 21, 2022, 05:15:38 pm »

That.... does sound like taste has been affected. Obviously not like, a direct red flag but might be worth checking.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: February 21, 2022, 08:34:45 pm »

It just... seriously hasn't been effected, though. It's been nearly a week since that thing, and literally everything else I've eaten has been normal, including stuff I ate the same day both before and after and even while cooking it. Nothing unusual going on with my sense of taste.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: February 21, 2022, 09:01:27 pm »

Aiite, fair. Overreaction, I suppose.

I made buffalo wings today from scratch, they came out supa nice.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: February 21, 2022, 09:25:22 pm »

... i'd make a joke there, but there's a nonzero chance some loony might take it seriously so I'll just... not.

Anyway, it was probably just the noodles with the milk and eggs making a super mild flavor plus not adding enough to offset that. The only thing with salt in the whole thing was the cheese (sub one serving) and the bacon things (reduced sodium turkey bacon and under a serving of the bits)... basically under 400 mg total, or thereabouts, if I had to guess.

I think a comparison would be if it were normal canned soup in the volume I made it would have probably had like... eight or ten times that much. Maybe more. It was two or three cans worth in volume and canned soup basically bottoms out at 400 mg per serving, with 2-3 servings per can, so, like. It was less than half a can of soup of salt in a pot with 2-3 cans of stuff. It wasn't going to be super strong to begin with, it was just that something about it went even further in that direction than expected.

e: anyway, I've hit that point in adulthood where you can't eat other people's french fries because they put too damn much salt on them

upside, I'm making increasingly mean homemade frenchfries. Right now, olive oil for the air frying part, pepper/paprika/saltless chilipowder for the seasoning. It may not have salt but I can eat a hell of a lot of these damn unsalted frenchfries in one go.

Also mr spice salt free honey bbq? It's a'ight! Not, like. Great? It's no sweet baby ray or somethin'. But it's okay bbq sauce.

e2: okay, let me caveat that: It's okay as frenchfry sauce. It's legitimately damn good on this (saltless) teriyaki basted sorta' hamburger steak (i.e. oversized oblong hamburger patty). Better on meat than potato, I guess.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 06:13:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: March 07, 2022, 05:56:30 pm »

it's been like two weeks so i bump to say this

Cashews in rice: Yes.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: March 07, 2022, 06:10:33 pm »

Yo they so good.

Also I'm makin dumplings, and was made aware that the only difference between regular dumplings and won ton soup is that you just boil em in chicken broth and call it soup.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: March 07, 2022, 06:42:45 pm »

upside, I'm making increasingly mean homemade frenchfries. Right now, olive oil for the air frying part, pepper/paprika/saltless chilipowder for the seasoning. It may not have salt but I can eat a hell of a lot of these damn unsalted frenchfries in one go.

Parbake or parboil before the long fry?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: March 07, 2022, 11:21:01 pm »

Haven't been doing either, heh. Just frying straight after cutting/seasoning. It's probably worth noting I can cheerfully eat a potato literally unseasoned at basically any level of cooking that won't actively poison me, so... my potato standard is basically "Is potato, eat" barring some seasoning/additive dislikes.

It'd probably work better if I boiled the potatoes a bit beforehand, though, now that you mention it. Dunno if I'll actually do it at some point, because I mostly don't really want to cook most days (one of the reasons this reduced salt diet is an absolute pain in the ass -- I don't mind the taste, I just don't want to have to prep and cook just about bloody everything in order to actually have a meal with a sodium content that isn't "whoops, that's it for the day"), but that sounds like a good idea.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 06:44:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: March 15, 2022, 06:47:05 pm »

nah, it's been over a week, imma doublepost bump the food thread

Today's supper: Stewed/boiled pork meat (saltless teriyaki sauce + curry powder added after it came out the water, browned the pan that would eventually cook the veggies and simmered for a hour), boiled large chunk diced potatoes (cooked in the broth that came from cooking the pork), basic gravy (unsalted flour+butter, black pepper, paprika, also using pork water), other house people also got pan cooked/stir fried onions and carrots.

The meat + potatoes and gravy with a little bit of cheese added is really good. House people wanted it separate, but the one that eventually tried mixing it all together as was intended also reports really good, even to old people tastebuds.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: March 19, 2022, 11:21:24 am »

I made really good potato, cheese, and sweet onion filling for pierogis, but made a giant mess of the dough. It's way too sticky and soft and absorbs way too much water.

Gotta figure out what to do with all this extra dough.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: March 19, 2022, 11:50:16 am »

fill it with cinnamon and sugar and bake it
Ask not!
Ask!