Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477808 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4950 on: May 16, 2023, 06:46:42 pm »

Figure out a way to commit sandwich blasphemy with it. Put some between two slices of meat or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: May 16, 2023, 07:26:12 pm »

Yeah, sandwich bread.

Soup bowls.

Croutons?

Cut it into strips, make breadsticks.

Curious, if it's still pliable if you could roll it out into something else. I dunno if I'd trust frozen dough someone else made to tolerate being re-kneaded and rolled.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: May 16, 2023, 08:08:32 pm »

The real trick with that is that "tolerate" is a continuum. Just because the dough doesn't like it doesn't mean it gets a choice in the matter! It may end up looking a little funny, but if there's a secret to bread it's that funny looking bread is generally still bread and still eats like bread.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: May 16, 2023, 09:08:30 pm »

I'm just saying once the gluten has set up and been frozen, I don't know how much you can work with it and get results as though the gluten were still fresh and pliable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: May 17, 2023, 01:22:23 am »

You have to bake one at least and show us the results :D

As a last resort a soup kitchen or similar might accept a bunch of frozen dough.
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: May 17, 2023, 02:09:37 am »

I'm just saying once the gluten has set up and been frozen, I don't know how much you can work with it and get results as though the gluten were still fresh and pliable.

It's just dough though, how bad can it get? Surely, freezing and thawing the dough or overkneading it, might make it suboptimal especially for its initial purpose but it will still be edible and somewhat workable too.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: May 23, 2023, 09:30:15 pm »

So I went ahead and prepared some of the frozen dough. Two rolls, which turned out to be a mistake. I put them in a greased pan and let them defrost for about six hours, during which time they rose and expanded.

I originally assumed that these were the sort of frozen logs of bread that would eventually bake into something suitable for a sub sandwich; long but not especially tall, designed to be cut lengthwise and filled with meats and veggies and whatnot. Nah, these suckers are more like sliced sandwich bread loaves, but without the slicing. Got a good crust on them, but a they're a bit dense in the middle. Next time I'll only thaw out one loaf, and I might cut it in half or shape it into knots or something before baking. It seemed reasonably pliable; I wouldn't try to form it into a pizza crust or anything of the sort but I bet I can do something creative.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: May 24, 2023, 01:42:00 am »

Yes!
Love, scriver~

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: May 24, 2023, 11:15:33 am »

I wouldn't try to form it into a pizza crust or anything of the sort but I bet I can do something creative.
Why not pizza? it can be really enjoyable, but here is a quick 5min minimal prep recipe for any occasion (like unannounced guests). Get a dough roll sheet, spread cream[1] on it, cut onions and grated cheese. Put in oven for ~half an hour. Enjoy.

[1] google translate says its cream, but I don't mean the 50% fat stuff you put on icream rather the ~8-15 ones that comes in yogurt like cones.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: May 24, 2023, 11:17:12 am »

souwa creem
Love, scriver~

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: May 24, 2023, 11:20:45 am »

yeah, the cheap stuff. You can also boil it in its cones to get fresh home made white cheese (again minimal prep)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: May 24, 2023, 11:28:52 am »

I wouldn't try to form it into a pizza crust or anything of the sort but I bet I can do something creative.
Why not pizza? it can be really enjoyable, but here is a quick 5min minimal prep recipe for any occasion (like unannounced guests). Get a dough roll sheet, spread cream[1] on it, cut onions and grated cheese. Put in oven for ~half an hour. Enjoy.

[1] google translate says its cream, but I don't mean the 50% fat stuff you put on icream rather the ~8-15 ones that comes in yogurt like cones.
Oh, I like pizza just fine. I just don't think the dough is pliable enough to form a satisfying pizza crust even after thawing. It was frozen, and already in a sort of log or loaf shape.

Also it took like 6 hours to thaw, so it's not really something I can throw together in 5 minutes for uninvited guests. I have to get things going in advance or else there's no point in worrying about it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: May 24, 2023, 11:58:04 am »

I mean... thawing time issues means it's time to experiment to see if you can thaw it rapidly with a microwave :V

... or just an oven on low or something, whatever's available really.

Especially if it's food you didn't pay for and have a decent excess of, that's perfect conditions to try your hand at some food blasphemy to find out if it's functional or non-functional culinary heresy.

E: Google immediately suggests 5 minutes on defrost setting for frozen bread dough, btw. Just throwing that out there :P

Internet's second suggestion is covered, nuke in 30 second intervals for 2.5 minutes or until sufficiently pliable. It's probably workable somehow or another, in other words, heh.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 12:01:50 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: May 24, 2023, 12:42:41 pm »

I was always taught to never microwave bread, so it honestly never occurred to me to try a microwave defrost. I guess I could give it a shot, but I imagine setting the normal oven for like 150F and letting it sit in there for a while would work just as well, if a good deal more slowly.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: May 24, 2023, 01:51:18 pm »

Yeah, nuking bread is... sketchy. It works, ish, but it's finicky and often doesn't give particularly good results. Still, it does work, you just have to be careful with it.

So far as nevers in cooking go, though, if it doesn't actually make you sick/injured/dead/indicted or set your kitchen on fire, the thing to remember is that all things are permissible. Not necessarily advisable, but permissible, and good enough is good enough.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333