Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 476459 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Just Add Water
« Reply #750 on: December 13, 2013, 08:36:46 am »

That's what I meant with the 'variety of flavouring' remark, yeah, but there's a very good chance you just haven't been salting the potatoes sufficiently. They're notorious bastards for undersalting, especially when cooked in water (i.e. precisely the varieties of potato you don't like). Undersalted anything is disappointing, but when it's got as subtle a flavour as potato to begin with it's downright criminal. The reason cooking them in oil tends to work is because a) fat content will make anything tastier and b) the oil and any crispy outer layer it causes form a barrier between salt and the all-consuming salt deficit of the actual potato flesh; because you taste the salt on the outside of the chip, it's already on your tongue when the potato hits - and also, fast food places and fish and chipperies et cetera know the value of properly salting potatoes.

Science!
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 13, 2013, 08:48:26 am »

Also, when you make mashed potatoes, add cream cheese. Gives them a velvety texture and adds bite to the flavor.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 13, 2013, 09:07:53 am »

^good mashed potatoes are pretty much always at least a quarter dairy, be it butte, cheese, cream (sour or otherwise) or what have you. This provides the critical fat content, and often (particularly in the case of cheese) salt as well.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 13, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »

I've had some Georgian food a couple of days ago. Really interesting, it's like a mix of influences from all over the area.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 13, 2013, 05:00:01 pm »

I add milk and butter to my mashed potatoes. So good.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 13, 2013, 08:17:29 pm »

So Cracked says that you can (basically) steam milk in your microwave for a latte. Having followed these steps a few times, unsuccessfully, I'm feeling stupid. Has anyone else successfully turned warm milk into microfoam? What did you do?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 14, 2013, 03:10:02 pm »

Accidentally left my caramel coffee on the stove, and half of the milk boiled away. Ended up with some kind of horribly bitter, fatty, spicy, overly sweet Heart Attack - style swill. Drank it anyway, like a boss. Or so I thought.
The aftertaste doesn't go away. It's been freeloading somewhere in the back of my throat for almost three hours already.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 14, 2013, 05:43:22 pm »

RAMEN SALAD!

You need:
3 packages of ramen.
6 hardboiled eggs.
1 smoked chicken breast (half will be enough tho)
1 can of sweetcorn.
Mayo to hold things together.
And...
Just about any vegetable you want to cram into this mess because the Monosodium glutamate from the ramen will make it tasty anyway.
(the image above has Napa Cabbage and red paprica in it)
Hell you can even add pineapple to it (don't tell girlinhat that you did tho)

Basically make the ramen normally and leave it to cool down.
Once its cold (or at least not hot) dispose of excess water and cram everything into it and stir till it becomes more or less consistenf without "dry" spots without mayo.

Now throw it into the fridge for several hours and... well you'll get ramen salad.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:49:53 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 15, 2013, 04:14:21 am »

Where the hell do you buy those? I've never seen them, but I would eat more mashed potatoes if I had those.

They are often sold at stores that specialize in bulk purchases. Gordon's Food Service has them, and I think Sam's Club might, the latter according to the search I did for the image.

My school system used them or a similar product for lunches, which could perhaps be why I enjoy them.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

meadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 22, 2013, 08:14:57 am »

So Cracked says that you can (basically) steam milk in your microwave for a latte. Having followed these steps a few times, unsuccessfully, I'm feeling stupid. Has anyone else successfully turned warm milk into microfoam? What did you do?

I haven't tried one, but you can buy a milk frother for around $20. I think they are basically like an electric whisk. You just heat milk on the stove while running the frother.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 22, 2013, 08:17:51 am »

I haven't tried one, but you can buy a milk frother for around $20. I think they are basically like an electric whisk. You just heat milk on the stove while running the frother.

My parents got one, it's a set of tiny paddles on a rotating wheel as a top and a heating base you pour milk into. Foams milk very fast, pretty neat and inexpensive.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 22, 2013, 08:56:59 am »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #762 on: December 22, 2013, 09:00:46 am »

Re: Mashed potatoes, I just add a knob of butter, a splash of milk, and then a healthy dash of white pepper. It provides a bit of depth and bite, a little like cheese does. Much easier though!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 22, 2013, 09:03:24 am »

RAMEN SALAD!

No. This is not salad. :(
This is a masterful ramen salad created by Sonlirain. The ingredients are masterfully-minced ramen, exceptionally-minced hen eggs, well-minced rooster meat, finely-minced tomatoes, exceptionally-minced sweetcorn, and masterfully-minced mayonnaise.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:57:09 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #764 on: December 22, 2013, 09:37:41 am »

A holiday recipe for you all: Czech potato salad.

This salad is made 24 hours in advance of Christmas dinner (had on the 24th here, so the salad is made on the 23rd). Everyone loves it, so it's always necessary to make loads and loads of it so it can be had for leftovers for the rest of the week.

For a standard batch (which is quite large):
Boil ~1kg whole, unpeeled potatoes in salted water until soft. Set aside to cool.
Boil ~1/4 kg peeled carrots, parsley root, and celery root in salted water with a bit of vinegar, until mostly soft.
Hard boil 3-4 eggs.

Peel the potatoes and dice them into very small cubes, about 1 cm on a side. Dice up the other root vegetables as well, in very small pieces. Do the same with about 3 sweet pickles/gherkins, a few TB of red onion, a hunk of smoked ham (up to you how much you want in there, can be left out for vegetarian version), and the eggs. Add a handful of peas (defrosted if frozen, strained if canned). Mix together in a bowl with a few scoops of mayonaisse and a few spoonfuls of the pickle juice. Add a bit of salt and pepper if desired.

And now, the most difficult part: wrap it up and leave it in the fridge for 24 hours. It is well worth the wait.

This is traditionally eaten with fresh fried carp (which is DISGUSTING), or for those who aren't hardcore enough to bear the carp, salmon, fried chicken, or other substitute. The potato salad is almost exclusively made for Christmas, but there's really no reason not to make it all the time. It's pretty amazing. Every family has a slightly different recipe, so feel free to adjust this one as you see fit.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 333