Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 477362 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Food Thread: Fry Me a River
« Reply #975 on: January 27, 2014, 02:15:07 am »

Awesome. It seems I'll have to get a few unground spices, but it looks very straightforward after that. And I'll probably sweeten mine with honey because I try to sweeten everything with honey.

Just make sure you use enough. I'm not sure how well honey will work with this. It doesn't need to be overwhelmingly sweet, but if it isn't sweet enough it will taste really strange and not very nice. Good luck!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 27, 2014, 02:51:28 pm »

What's a good mulled wine recipe? That stuff sounds awesome and I've been meaning to try it for a while.

I got this.
-MOTHER OF GOD-
This is awesome. Is the orange thing traditional with mulled wines? Nobody I know does it, but it sounds like an awesome idea. I have also found that nutmeg tastes okay with mulled wine.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #977 on: January 27, 2014, 02:57:49 pm »

The orange is definitely traditional in the Czech version. No idea about other traditions. It can also be nice to include (whole) nutmeg or allspice, but too many flavors can make it less yummy, so pick and choose what you like best.

The real secret is making the syrup first. You wouldn't believe how many (even Czech) people I know who just dump the whole bottle in right from the start, and heat it up without boiling anything. You lose so much of the flavor that way!

If anyone tries my recipe, let me know how it turns out. I'm hoping to get the whole world addicted. *muahaha*

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 03, 2014, 09:15:46 pm »

I just found out one of my favorite restaurants, Buddha's Delight, in Boston closed.  In memory of all the awesome food I had there, I cooked up a batch of my own Buddha's Delight.  Originally a Chinese dish, mine was a spicier, sweeter Korean style version.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 03, 2014, 09:20:16 pm »

Goddamn all your stuff looks delicious but I'm a vegetarian and couldn't even theoretically taste it D:
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:20 pm »

Goddamn all your stuff looks delicious but I'm a vegetarian and couldn't even theoretically taste it D:
I'm sure you could substitute at least some of the meat with tofu or whatever, right?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 03, 2014, 11:00:47 pm »

I'm sure you could substitute at least some of the meat with tofu or whatever, right?

Eh?  Buddha's Delight *is* vegetarian :).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:03:59 pm by VerdantSF »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 03, 2014, 11:06:39 pm »

Eh?  Buddha's Delight *is* vegetarian :).
Good news for kaijyuu then! :)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 03, 2014, 11:18:48 pm »

You can eat all that? Maybe I just prefer more rice.

Also what's that on the 2nd bowl?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 03, 2014, 11:26:59 pm »

I had a small breakfast and skipped lunch, so I was hungry ;).

Also what's that on the 2nd bowl?

Braised su-jee, aka seitan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 06, 2014, 09:06:08 pm »

Cheeseburger Curry by popular demand

Makes about 2.5 gallons

You'll need:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First, boil the rice. While it's cooking, chop your carrots, onion, and celery, and begin to fry them up in the oil on medium-high heat, along with the cumin seeds. By the time you finish all that chopping, and the vegetables, your rice should be nearly done. Transfer it into an acceptable holding vessel, wash the pot, and throw in your meat and brown it on medium heat, stirring frequently throughout all the rest of these steps. This will take some time, so while it begins to sizzle, crush your many cloves of garlic and add them and the mushrooms to the vegetable mix, then lower the heat to medium. Mix it, and once it starts to look evenly done, add the lime juice and remove from heat. Add it to your rice and stir well. Return to your chopping board and dice the pickles, reserving the brine from the jar. Add them to the beef, which should be very nearly done. Stir, and when the beef finishes cooking, add the yogurt, the salad dressing, the mustard, and the remaining pickle brine.

Now, season the crap out of it. You should know how you like your curry seasoned before making this, and note that we're going to wind up with something creamy and acidic, so season accordingly. You're also starting with a lot of salt from the cheese and pickles. Don't be afraid to start with less than you think you'll need and bring it up to the right flavor by taste. Stir. Once it's all homogeneous, add your frozen vegetables and stir until thawed, and the entire mixture is warm again. Add 1 pound of cheese. Add the other pound to your holding vessel(s). Once the cheese is smoothly melted, and trust me when I say that it shouldn't go stringy on you, spoon the sauce over your rice, vegetables, and cheese, and stir. Serve whenever the hell you want, because this is going to last you a week if you're one person.

I'm a very imprecise cook, so while what I did worked for me, I can't be 100% certain that what I typed will work for you. Exercise caution, and remember that I accept no responsibility if you wreck an entire week's grocery budget trying to do this (smaller portions would probably be wise).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 06, 2014, 10:09:40 pm »

I fried chicken the other day! And I didn't cause a grease fire in my kitchen!

I learned that curry in chicken breading is delicious. Also I overcooked most of the chicken and it was tough and not quite delicious. This is harder than I thought.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 07, 2014, 12:55:57 am »

I learned that curry in chicken breading is delicious.

Chicken-breaded curry recipe pls.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 07, 2014, 01:34:35 am »

I learned that curry in chicken breading is delicious. Also I overcooked most of the chicken and it was tough and not quite delicious.
I usually overcook chicken intentionally. Once it's all chewy and whatnot, you can put tenderizing sauces inside. Generally find overcooked chicken to be really receptive towards liquids. It's dry, you see, so you un-dry it, and then it's succulent again and full of delicious juices, while still giving just enough resistance to be fun.

... on the other hand, sometimes I don't, too. Sometimes y'want something you gotta' gnaw at, and jerky is really expensive.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 07, 2014, 09:39:49 am »

I learned that curry in chicken breading is delicious.

Chicken-breaded curry recipe pls.
I've had a few breading methods I used so it really depends. I'll give a few general tips.

-If you want it juicy, marinate it in something. Soysauce is good and simple.
-you can use batter or coat it in egg and dredge in flour/breading.
-if you want it to taste like curry, do it in the marinating part or mix it in the flour/breading.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 333