Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 482935 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3510 on: June 06, 2016, 09:05:04 am »

So... does anyone here have any opinion on what it tastes like.
Tastes like shit.

I say that because I like the taste of beer though, and it's very far away from that - so you might actually like it. Just take a sip - what's the worst that could happen?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: June 06, 2016, 09:34:37 am »

Speaking of malt, I just picked up some Goya-brand Malta today. I was turned off by my mother saying it's "just non-alcoholic beer", which it's sorta not(it's the stuff beer is made of though). So, it's been sitting on the counter all day. Now, I really hate the smell of beer, let alone the taste, but I'm looking it up and various sources have said it smells like soy sauce and tastes like caramel or bran cereal. So... does anyone here have any opinion on what it tastes like. I'd rather not just toss it, since I'm still upset from losing a bag of groceries earlier today.

If it's not been hopped, it likely tastes very little like most beer; little to none of the bitterness involved.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: June 06, 2016, 02:26:36 pm »

Speaking of malt, I just picked up some Goya-brand Malta today. I was turned off by my mother saying it's "just non-alcoholic beer", which it's sorta not(it's the stuff beer is made of though). So, it's been sitting on the counter all day. Now, I really hate the smell of beer, let alone the taste, but I'm looking it up and various sources have said it smells like soy sauce and tastes like caramel or bran cereal. So... does anyone here have any opinion on what it tastes like. I'd rather not just toss it, since I'm still upset from losing a bag of groceries earlier today.

If it's not been hopped, it likely tastes very little like most beer; little to none of the bitterness involved.

Actually, hops is last on the ingredients list, after salt. If Goya is following the correct format for listing ingredients(probable, given that water and high fructose corn syrup are first), that means hops is present in the smallest amount after anything. Including the salt.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: June 06, 2016, 08:38:45 pm »

One note to be aware of... hops are generally one of the smallest ingredient by weight, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't contribute a *lot* of flavour.

I'm a homebrewer, our most recent brew was a borderline pale ale/India pale ale; ingredients can be roughly broken down as

~40 L (kg) of water
11 kg of malted barley
240 g hops
200 g malt powder (for starter)
5 g yeast

That's about 2% of the dry weight of ingredients, or less than 0.5% of the total ingredients, yet hops are far and away the dominant flavour.

For a counterpoint, 15 tbsp of salt is heavier than the hops used, and would come out around 1 tsp per L; in a non-fermented beverage, where you'd want to balance the malt sweetness, I could see salt being upped to those sort of levels (particularly as malta wouldn't be a PA/IPA, and would probably have a third of the hops we used :P ).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:40:32 pm by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: June 07, 2016, 05:05:47 pm »

I decided to crack it open and try it. I don't drink beer, so I cannot compare the taste, but whoever said it tasted like raisin bran cereal is pretty spot-on. I does taste like raisin bran-flavored soda. I don't think it's good, nor especially bad, and I can see why some people like it and others don't. It hits the tongue fairly sweet, but gets pretty bitter as you swallow it back.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: June 14, 2016, 02:13:28 pm »

Have successfully impressed new roommate with cake-baking skills.  My secret plan to persuade them to overlook my pile of stuff by the door proceeds apace! Next step: Have surprise dinner ready for them when they walk in.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: June 14, 2016, 02:55:11 pm »

Have successfully impressed new roommate with cake-baking skills.  My secret plan to persuade them to overlook my pile of stuff by the door proceeds apace! Next step: Have surprise dinner ready for them when they walk in.
It's like something from a romance animoo. Ghills-chan endeavors to distract their roommate from the pile of stuff by the door, but winds up being a model girlfriend for them.

"S...sure, I'll go on a d-date with you, b-baka... i...it's not like there's a pile of stuff by the door or something..."
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: June 14, 2016, 03:36:33 pm »

It's like something from a romance animoo. Ghills-chan endeavors to distract their roommate from the pile of stuff by the door, but winds up being a model girlfriend for them.

"S...sure, I'll go on a d-date with you, b-baka... i...it's not like there's a pile of stuff by the door or something..."

LOL 

No, no possibility of that.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: June 14, 2016, 03:54:02 pm »

I made a nice cake this morning for a colleague's birthday. Came out perfect, moist and soft inside.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: June 14, 2016, 03:58:52 pm »

I made a nice cake this morning for a colleague's birthday. Came out perfect, moist and soft inside.

Congrats! Cakes are always a bit nerve-wracking.
To summarize:

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: June 14, 2016, 04:17:32 pm »

My issue is often that I do something else and let them cook for too long. Here though, since I was getting late for work I was stabbing the fucker every minute to see if it was ready and got it perfect.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: June 14, 2016, 07:11:09 pm »

Post to Cakewatch.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: June 15, 2016, 01:14:38 am »

Post to Cakewatch.
Pastries never die.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: June 23, 2016, 09:27:40 pm »

Ok this has me a bit confused

Curry is a dish but while MOST western curry (from Curry Powder) are the same few ingredients... Proper curry dishes can have any multitude of spices from around the world in any combination with 5-20 spices.

But... What are the rules for something to count as a Curry? I find this impossible to research... Only that it needs to be at least a 5 spice blend.

---

Just as a "It bugs me"

In the West Bolagnaise's definition has been watered down so much that people will refer to ANY meat sauce as a Bolognaise.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: June 23, 2016, 11:35:03 pm »

Um. Not really? Even in the West you've still got a good range (some original creations), albeit mostly in the hot-spicy and savory realms of taste, with some exceptions like pasanda. It's no more or less extensive than anywhere else that isn't the Indian subcontinent. Arguably it's more varied than the curries in a lot of South-East Asian countries that imported the concept. Curry powders are a Western thing (and Japanese and Korean, since they got curry from the Brits and Japanese respectively), but they can have fairly nuanced variations beyond the core spices.

I've never heard of any sort of spice count requirement, only that all curries are prepared in sauces.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 333