Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469348 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4080 on: May 24, 2019, 03:18:24 pm »

I suppose I'll have to go digging when I'm not at work now.

Also part of why I didn't post it. I mean, it's food-related, but not exactly on-topic. I think it's the most recent one on their Patreon.

There's an upper limit as well but I'm not sure what it is.

I was going to say yeast don't breed as well in a solid, but I made pizza a week (?) ago, and it worked. Must be when the sugar is high enough concentration to mess up the osmotic pressure in the yeast cells. So probably "it depends on the water, adjuncts, what type of bees made the honey and from what, and 3 other things." Kitchen chemistry isn't easy, but at least you know what results to expect. Kitchen biology involves luck.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: May 24, 2019, 03:30:58 pm »

Hail Seitan   

Seitan, I release you from your prison!

Opens plastic packaging
HAILS! My favourite celebrity chef!
I knew where that link was gonna lead immediately. ;D   

I suppose I'll have to go digging when I'm not at work now.

Also part of why I didn't post it. I mean, it's food-related, but not exactly on-topic. I think it's the most recent one on their Patreon.
Dude, that is amazing. I tracked it down and immediately had to share it on Facebook.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: May 26, 2019, 10:20:54 pm »

I got an egg ring in order to make breakfast sandwiches. Making a single egg muffin for yourself isn't really worth the mess or effort, but this device will make it way easier to cook eggs in general.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: June 24, 2019, 07:28:33 am »

To commemorate the unlocking, something that's probably been mentioned but deserves another mention.

One small trick to better peanut butter and jelly (or whatever) sandwiches. Add cinnamon! Not a huge amount, but a good bit, preferably on (or in, if you pre-mix) the peanut butter. It really brings the already solid combination to the next level.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: June 24, 2019, 08:17:20 am »

Moved from other thread that no longer exists:

I mentioned in another thread the twice-baked potato balls that I enjoy making. I'm lactose intolerant, so I don't make them unless I can feed other people also (leftovers become a problem, as does overindulging). The name is terrible, because you only bake the potatoes once (or steam or boil them). Also, you only use enough potato to hold the dairy and flavorings together.

Years ago, I was looking through a website called "this is why you're fat", which contained all manner of unnecessary foods. Several of them were more interesting looking than in practice (hamburger with a donut bun), but there were a lot I'd be willing to eat. So I tried copying these from a picture.

Mash up some potatoes while they're still warm. Boiled, steamed, baked, whatever. You'll need some liquid, so sour cream and melted butter are good. Peels can stay on or come off, but they've got a lot of nutrients.

Once, the potatoes are mixed, grate cheese into the bowl with the potatoes. I use a cheddar, so I know when I have enough: the mixture turns yellow-orange. You may need to add more butter and sour cream to get it to mix in. Also add in bacon, green onion, and other flavorings (garlic?) you like. So far, mostly the same as making a good twice baked potato, without needing to hollow out the skin. Then you roll the cooled potato mixture into balls. They should be a bit sticky. Roll the balls in flour, then an eggwash, then crumbs. That'll give you a thicker crispy coating, and also keep the ball from falling apart when it heats up. Hopefully your oil is hot, because you want it to get good and browned on the outside. Let them cool on a paper towel to get rid of the excess oil, and eat as soon as they're cool enough not to burn you. The crust may break if you aren't careful picking them up; the inside should be a nearly-liquid cheese and sour cream mixture (with potato).

You'll probably be making a few at a time, so hopefully you've got time.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: June 24, 2019, 10:00:30 am »

I was totally wondering why this thread got locked. (*insert food related pun here*)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: June 24, 2019, 10:01:25 am »

I was totally wondering why this thread got locked. (*insert food related pun here*)

We kind of all were.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: June 24, 2019, 11:48:42 am »

Glad this is finally unlocked, haha. At first I thought OP must have thought discussion was getting too heated and wanted us to simmer down.

My Food news: just made myself a freakin' lovely cup of Nesquik. Nailed the consistency and the flavour. Mm-mmmm.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: June 24, 2019, 12:01:48 pm »

I think I might like food too much. Half of last night's dinner was an amazing pot roast. The meat package said it contained enough for 4-6 people. Then I added veggies and seasonings on top of that. My wife and I ate most of it last night, with enough left over for a light lunch today.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: June 24, 2019, 01:13:06 pm »

I made about... I think somewhere on the order of 6+ kg of food for the housewarming party on Saturday.

I'm still struggling with the leftovers, and I've been handing out wrapped lunches to friends to try and get rid of it all.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: June 24, 2019, 05:50:57 pm »

I'm becoming increasingly reminded that potato chips (and similar things) in rice is pretty awesome. Tonight's supper is brown rice, with noodle seasoning*, cheese, shredded up honey roasted turkey, and the remainder of a mixed bag of black pepper potato chips and white chedder cheese crackers. It's disturbingly tasty, and it's the chips that take it to the next level.

* Take maruchan yakisoba seasoning packets, two packs teriyaki beef and one pack spicy chicken, empty into a small container (ziplock bag, whatever), then shake well. Apply fairly sparingly, it's decently strong. Does wonderful things to most grains and soups.
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: June 25, 2019, 07:54:28 am »

I'm becoming increasingly reminded that potato chips (and similar things) in rice is pretty awesome. Tonight's supper is brown rice, with noodle seasoning*, cheese, shredded up honey roasted turkey, and the remainder of a mixed bag of black pepper potato chips and white chedder cheese crackers. It's disturbingly tasty, and it's the chips that take it to the next level.

* Take maruchan yakisoba seasoning packets, two packs teriyaki beef and one pack spicy chicken, empty into a small container (ziplock bag, whatever), then shake well. Apply fairly sparingly, it's decently strong. Does wonderful things to most grains and soups.

Sounds so salty (although starch like rice or potato can handle a lot of salt), but also pretty good. I agree the combination of rice and crunch is good. I assume that's why so many people/cultures have a thing for the bits of rice that harden along the edges while you cook it.

I think I'll probably be cooking in my Grandma's kitchen this weekend, so I'm thinking of making pecan pie; which I learned to make because of her. Hopefully there are still one or two of her small aluminum pie tins to make a pie with the scraps like she always did when I was young. Much better than throwing them away, and you're okay with leaning a bit more towards making too much instead of too little.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: June 25, 2019, 10:09:07 am »

Apologies again for the lock. I must have misclicked while reading the thread a while back (probably on my phone) and since I don't check the forums as often as I used to, I didn't catch it before it fell off the front page. Feel free to PM me if anything similar happens in the future.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: June 25, 2019, 12:24:55 pm »

Sounds so salty (although starch like rice or potato can handle a lot of salt), but also pretty good. I agree the combination of rice and crunch is good. I assume that's why so many people/cultures have a thing for the bits of rice that harden along the edges while you cook it.
It's not too bad on the salt front so long as you go easy on the seasoning (something like a third or forth of a packet's worth is usually plenty for a decent sized bowl of whatever, maybe even less) and don't have too much chips, really. It's there, but it's a good bit less than cup ramen or something.

If I had to offhand guess amounts without actually having the info in front of me, I'd probably guesstimate somewhere in the 4-500 <whatever that standard unit is> range? Maybe six, less than eight. Ramen ranges up to like the 1800s, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: June 25, 2019, 03:47:50 pm »

It's not too bad on the salt front so long as you go easy on the seasoning (something like a third or forth of a packet's worth is usually plenty for a decent sized bowl of whatever, maybe even less) and don't have too much chips, really. It's there, but it's a good bit less than cup ramen or something.

If I had to offhand guess amounts without actually having the info in front of me, I'd probably guesstimate somewhere in the 4-500 <whatever that standard unit is> range? Maybe six, less than eight. Ramen ranges up to like the 1800s, heh.

Yeah, I remember that a serving of ramen is like 150-200% of your daily allotment of sodium, and that there are 2.5 servings per package. But it cost about 30 cents/day to live off it, so...

Sounds good. I'll have to remember that recipe.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 333