Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 333

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 469479 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4095 on: June 29, 2019, 08:06:24 pm »

I went thru a phase I like to call "abject poverty" where I lived off ramen noodles for about three months. I was able to keep it edible by using chicken/beef stock, different vegetables, 3 dollar half dozens of eggs, and liberal use of my way-too-big spice cabinet 😅

Typically I would go a packet of Goya consome Pollo, two packs of noodles, green onions (cook the whites, reserve the greens for garnish), two eggs, and either meat or tofu for protein (if available). Bring stock to a boil with whatever seasonings ur feeling (garlic/onion powder, rosemary, sage, taragon, Tony sacheries ((the mf GOD)), pepper, or red pepper flakes to whatever quantity u need), then throw in all ingredients and cook until the green onions r not awful anymore and the egg is cooked how u want it. Boom, now instead of being hungry and miserable, you're just miserable! I might suggest a fifth of luwoska and a couple friends (or a squeeze of whichever flavor u prefer) to deal with that part 😊😊😊

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: July 01, 2019, 02:18:05 pm »

I actually just made something that's... Sorta ramen-y? Except not at all. It's just a clunky noodle soup thrown together from the only ingredients I had lying around.

So, like, broth was just water boiled up with black pepper, five-spice mix, crushed garlic, some soy sauce, dash of apple cider vinegar, lime juice, cayenne, smoked paprika, pinch of cumin, and salt. Then added the corn and chanterelles I'd apparently picked up cans of, and finished off with adding in some Vietnamese rice vermicelli.

It's not exactly something I'd brag about, but the broth didn't turn out that bad. If I had some proper veggies, it might've even been something more than "Hey, this is actually kinda tast- corn".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: July 02, 2019, 09:09:15 am »

As much as I bake I'd expect to have something as simple as a cheesecake down pat by now, but the one I tried to bake yesterday was a mess.  I habitually forget to let things like butter and cream cheese warm up on the counter for a few hours before use and thus have a bad habit of using them when still slightly cold.  Sometimes I'll put them in the microwave for a bit to warm them up before use, but I was tired and in a hurry last night, so that didn't happen.

Cold cream cheese does not work in a cheesecake.  Bad idea.  Do not do.

It never mixes properly, and as I discovered, if you try to make it mix anyway by just running the mixer too long, you end up getting custard from the sugar and eggs in the batter.  Oops.

I haven't tasted it yet but I'm not sure what to expect now that it's baked.  It looks kind of okay, but also kind of clearly different from a normal cheesecake.  The surface is darker and kind of foamy looking.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: July 02, 2019, 09:42:45 am »

So you made flan?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: July 02, 2019, 12:16:15 pm »

I've never intentionally made flan, so maybe.  I'll have to make a note to do that at some point and compare the results.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: July 12, 2019, 04:01:14 pm »

The ol' thermometer is reading "too damn hot." And it's Friday. That means, it's time for one of my favorite recipes:

1 part Sunny Delight (it's like orange juice but...not. Don't drink it straight; that's not what it exists for)
1 part vanilla schnapps

Mix, and leave in freezer. Stir/shake container sometimes so you end up with slush instead of chunks of ice. Best enjoyed in large quantities with friends, or sitting in front of the air conditioner too hot to function.

It tastes like the old orange push-up pops. Better than a frozen vodka lemonade after a hard day of work, or whatever approximation you get involved with.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: July 18, 2019, 08:10:46 pm »

I went the opposite direction. Thermometer is reading "fuck you", I made a giant pot of ham and beans.

Simple recipe, but I'm trying to do stuff more from scratch rather than just opening a bunch of cans and dumping them together. This time it involved sorting and soaking an entire pound of dry beans.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: July 29, 2019, 12:26:15 pm »

Has anyone tried/had luck with non-dairy milk caramel? I shouldn't have dairy, but I need homemade ice cream. Using a coconut cream or similar would be nice.

I'm also taking suggestions for making a frozen custard (with egg yolk that I'll probably screw up the first try). Ibarra Chocolate frozen custard is great for the hot fall days, when you want hot chocolate, but need something cooling.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: July 29, 2019, 12:37:45 pm »

Things I've learned today- a sous vide machine keeps a water bath at the perfect temperature for various fondues.

Just went through an entire 1.5hr long movie with two bows of 350C white and milk chocolate semi-floating in said bath on the coffee table, and it was the best.
Not sure how it would go with a white wine/cheese type deal but I guess that's next on the list.

Edit:
Spoiler: huge (click to show/hide)

1 part Sunny Delight (it's like orange juice but...not. Don't drink it straight; that's not what it exists for)
1 part vanilla schnapps
Like a screwdriver but sexier?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:44:06 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: July 29, 2019, 12:49:00 pm »

I knew a gal whose go-to drink was Amaretto and coke.

Amaretto.

And coke.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: July 29, 2019, 12:51:31 pm »

1 part vanilla schnapps
Like a screwdriver but sexier?

Yeah, I guess so. A lot smoother tasting, from the vanilla and whatever they did to those poor fruit to make Sunny Delight.

Amaretto.

And coke.

The coke would be too overpowering. I did have good results making cherry jello shots with amaretto. I don't remember the other flavors, but this is the one that worked out best.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:58:12 pm by Iduno »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: July 29, 2019, 03:29:12 pm »

Has anyone tried/had luck with non-dairy milk caramel? I shouldn't have dairy, but I need homemade ice cream. Using a coconut cream or similar would be nice.

My sister made caramel from madjool dates the other day and was very pleased with the outcome.

The basic recipe is:
  • 150gr of madjool dates (pitted and chopped)
  • 250ml milk (can be substituted with almond milk)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • a pinch of salt

1. Put everything in a food processor and mash (not sure if that's the right verb) them until they have a cream like consistency and there are no big chunks inside.

2. Put the mix in a pot over medium-to-low heat for about 10 - 15 minutes, stirring it periodically (a wooden spoon is suggested by the author), until it starts to solidify and it's volume has been reduce by half.

3. Remove from the heat and let it cool.

Variations:

1. Some recipes skip the heating part.

2. You can add/change stuff like adding a tablespoon of cocoa powder and/or a tablespoon of instant coffee if you want or substituting the vanilla extract for hazelnut extract.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: July 29, 2019, 03:52:15 pm »

Amaretto.

And coke.
Eh. As long as you don't have too much coke, that's fine. I'd prefer it without, most of the time, but I don't think it's an unreasonable way to drink it.

Course, I tend to drink the cheaper stuff, if that was the angle of your complaint.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: July 29, 2019, 03:56:21 pm »

Straight coke is sweet enough to make me feel nauseous. Coke + sugary liqueur makes my teeth itch just thinking about it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: July 29, 2019, 04:02:03 pm »

Amaretto + Coke = I don't want to taste my alcohol but boy would I love to over pay for it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 333